Windows 10: HDD missing in Win10, present in Win7

Discus and support HDD missing in Win10, present in Win7 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi guys, I hung out a lot in the 7 and 8 forums, but my first time here.... Strange problem plaguing my otherwise dependable system. Win 10 boots... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by milindsmart, Mar 24, 2017.

1. HDD missing in Win10, present in Win7

Hi guys,

I hung out a lot in the 7 and 8 forums, but my first time here.... Strange problem plaguing my otherwise dependable system.

Win 10 boots from a Samsung SSD, while win 7 boots from a 1 TB seagate HDD. Lately, this 1TB HDD is simply not detected when booting into Win 10. Around every 5-6 boots it is detected, but then is prone to dropping out later. No sign of it in Disk Management, diskpart, and Device Manager.No events that mention anything.

Problem is, when I boot into win 7, everything is absolutely perfect. This leads me to think that it's not a hardware problem. But it shows none of the usual signs of hardware miscommunication or driver issues.

Help needed guys. How should I diagnose and fix this issue? Let me know what info could be helpful...

Thanks in advance.

:)

milindsmart, Mar 24, 2017

2. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Assuming the "fresh reinstall" included formatting the HDD, nothing from your previous install of Win10 (or Win7) would be present on the computer now.

PA Bear - MS MVP, Mar 24, 2017
  3. How will I know that the Win7 to Win10 upgrade is ready?

I bought a new, larger HDD and installed vanilla Win7 on it (call it "new-Win7-HDD"). I then performed Windows Updates until KB3035583 was installed. I then did the "Get Windows 10" exercise and was informed that my upgrade is now reserved and
    I'll be notified when it's ready.

So I could have a working system while I wait, I pulled out new-Win7-HDD and substituted my old HDD (call it "old-Win7-HDD").

Question 1: How will I know it's time to switch back to new-Win7-HDD (so that the upgrade can be completed)?

Question 2: Would it be a good idea to uninstall KB3035583 from old-Win7-HDD so that the upgrade isn't done on the wrong HDD?

Notes:

When new-Win7-HDD is upgraded, call that "new-Win10-HDD".

Once I have new-Win10-HDD, I will retire old-Win7-HDD.

Once I have new-Win10-HDD, I plan to do whatever needs to be done to create a clean install, then wipe new-Win10-HDD and do a clean install <<<<---- COMMENT?

That's my plan, and those are my questions. (I couldn't find any existing article or forum post that specifically addressed Question 1.)

Thank You.

MarkFilipak.Windows, Mar 24, 2017
  4. HDD missing in Win10, present in Win7

Bump.... Guys? Anyone?

milindsmart, Mar 29, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    In device manager, what do you have showing up under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers?

HDD missing in Win10, present in Win7 [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Mar 29, 2017
  6. It shows only Intel(R) ICH10R SATA AHCI Controller. The "disks" heading should have had one more entry like ST31000524AS.

When I started Windows 10, the disk was detected. I rebooted to check... but it dropped out after a couple of reboots.

HDD missing in Win10, present in Win7 [​IMG]

milindsmart, Mar 29, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    So, it looks like you have an SSD and two hard drives installed? I would take the data cables to the two hard drives and swap them at the hard drive connections. If the problem stays the same, then you know to start looking at the hard drive as the problem. If the problem moves to the other hard drive then you know the problem is either the motherboard, the cable itself, or the connection between the motherboard and the cable. If the problem goes away, then you know it was just the connection between the cable and the hard drive.

NavyLCDR, Mar 29, 2017
  8. HDD missing in Win10, present in Win7

I swapped the cables between the two HDDs, and the problem went away! I rebooted 10 times and now the HDD is present every single time! Must have been something very specific to the contact between the HDD and that specific cable.

Thanks! I will observe for a few days now, and mark it as solved if the problem does not recur.

milindsmart, Mar 31, 2017
  9. Unfortunately, the problem did recur after a couple of days; with the other drive! Then I knew that it was the cable. So then I restored the original cable-HDD configuration but changed the motherboard SATA port that the troubled HDD's cable was connected to. The problem recurred on the same (original HDD), thus confirming that the cable was definitely the issue.

I have now swapped out the troublesome cable with a new one.... waiting and watching for a few more days.

milindsmart, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

HDD missing in Win10, present in Win7

1. HDD missing in Win10, present in Win7 - Similar Threads - HDD missing Win10

2. Win7 on Win10?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win7 on Win10?: Hey, When i boot up my windows 10 machine i get a classic windows 7 start up menu i believe it is when i made a win7 bootable but now i have this permanently. i went so far as to reset my pc nothing works. Please help! Link to video of what happens:...
  3. Win7 to Win10 Upgrade & HDD/SDD Replacement Upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win7 to Win10 Upgrade & HDD/SDD Replacement Upgrade: Dear Forum, Please find below my query. Any advice would be gratefully received - thanks in advance. Context: C1 I have a laptop ref: laptop A with a pre-installed version of Win7 Home Premium 64-Bit. C2 I seemingly have the product key for the Win 7 licence - it is...
  4. Upgrade Win7 to Win10

Upgrade Win7 to Win10: Received the following error after trying to upgrade Windows from 7 to 10. "This PC can't be upgraded to Windows 10. Your PC isn't supported yet on this version of Windows 10. No action is needed. Windows Update will offer this version of Windows 10 automatically once...
  5. Dual boot Win7 & Win10 on same HDD - How to eliminate Win7?

Dual boot Win7 & Win10 on same HDD - How to eliminate Win7?: I had a single hard drive with Windows 7 on it and then created another partition and loaded Windows 10 on that resulting in a dual boot setup.I want to eliminate the dual boot setup and delete the partition with windows 7 on it leaving a single partition with only Windows...
  6. Networking Win10 with Win7

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Networking Win10 with Win7: how to connect a win 10 pc with a win 7 pc in a local network via wifi ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/networking-win10-with-win7/31128bd4-e0ca-434b-9f02-73990826111c
  7. Upgrade to Win10 on new SSD, keep old Win7 on HDD

Upgrade to Win10 on new SSD, keep old Win7 on HDD: Hi all, I am currently running OEM Windows 7 on a HDD, and want to take advantage of the "free" upgrade to Windows 10 (I know it expired in 2016, but I read that you can still do it). Problem is, I have some programs that I still use that I don't have the keys for, so I'd...
  8. Downgrade Win10 to Win7

Downgrade Win10 to Win7: Hi.... I want to back to use Win7, I bought a new notebook with Win10 installed, Can I downgrade it to Win7? Thanks... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/downgrade-win10-to-win7/2e9a1762-030d-48ad-ad2c-d0513a2b9f58
  9. Win7 games on Win10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win7 games on Win10: A while ago I installed Win7 games on Win10 using msgames_win8_x64.msi as mentioned in thread Hearts and Solitaire Games in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums I wondered if this was legal but did it anyway. Installing the TH2 update removed the games. I installed them again, but...
  10. Dual boot Win7 and Win10 on seperate HDD's

Dual boot Win7 and Win10 on seperate HDD's: Hi all, I am sure that this has been asked a thousand times but I am new here so please bear with me. Th problem I have is that I loaded Win 10 on a separate HDD went to dual boot. The computer stared then it carried out a scan disk and happily deleted all the files needed...