Windows 10: HDD not appearing in BIOS when SSD is connected

Discus and support HDD not appearing in BIOS when SSD is connected in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I am new here and hope I am posting in the right place *Biggrin So two days ago I received my first SSD (a Crucial P1 1TB) and I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by guillaumetst, Apr 24, 2020.

1. HDD not appearing in BIOS when SSD is connected

Hello everyone, I am new here and hope I am posting in the right place *Biggrin

So two days ago I received my first SSD (a Crucial P1 1TB) and I wanted to make it my main drive for heavy programs and have my old HDD as extra storage. The way I wanted to proceed for installing windows and backing up my data is going to sound a bit complicated, it's just that I want to do a real clean install because my Windows was acting weird and I had a bunch of junk files, that's why I didn't clone to my SSD.

So here's what I wanted to do:
    1) Disconnect HDD, insert SSD and clean install Win 10 on it using the Media Creation Tool that I created using my super up-to date version of Windows I have on my laptop

2) Update drivers on the SSD

3) Power down, plug back HDD in and transfer all the files I wanted to keep to the SSD. The thing is for this step I thought that by having both plugged in at the same time and booting up on the SSD I would see my HDD in the "This Pc" section of File Explorer and be able to drag and drop files into the SSD.

4) After having backed up everything I wanted from the HDD (around 100 Gigs), format the HDD to remove Windows and put back the files in it.

That's what I wanted to do. Unfortunately I am not able to go into step 3 because when my NVME SSD is plugged into my MOBO my HDD is not recognized at all, not even in the BIOS. This is not an issue of faulty hardware because when I remove the SSD my PC boots in the hard drive and I can see it in the BIOS aswell. I thought that it could be a power issue but I have a 550 Watt PSU and every simulation I did online told me I had to have at least 400 W for my system, so it seems I have enough.

I have a SATA to USB adapter somewhere that I am going to try to use but I just moved so I have no idea where it is.
    It the meanwhile I would love to get some help on with this issue. It is really weird that the HDD doesn't even appear in the BIOS if the SSD is inserted and I have no idea what to do.

Thank you all for the help!

(PS: I am on my laptop right now so I have no idea on what Windows version I am on my Desktop, I will update it later)

:)

guillaumetst, Apr 24, 2020

2. Windows 10 can not optimize HDD, says it is a SSD Help

Hi Steve,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Appreciate your efforts to work on this issue.

• Does the BIOS recognizes the disk as HDD or SSD?

Suggest you to set the Optimize Drives Service to start automatically from the services window to check if that helps.

1. Open the run window, type ‘services.msc’ and press Enter.
    2. Search for Optimize Drives Service and select the start-up type as automatic. Also ensure to start the service.

If you have set SATA controller to AHCI mode for Solid State Drive, in Device Manager it would show as SATA hard disk.

Follow these steps:

1. Click start, type “Defragment” and click “Defragment and Optimize your drives”.
    2. On the “Defragment and Optimize your drives” window. Make sure that your SSD is categorized as an SSD.
    3. If it’s not, then you can set it as a SSD on your bios. This way, you don’t have to exclude your SSD or disable any scheduled defragmentation.
    Disclaimer: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring
    of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Apr 24, 2020
  3. Phinkton Win User
    Cannot boot from SSD, get sent back to BIOS

I have recently got a new SSD for my desktop and wanted to do a fresh install of windows and replace my current HDD, giving me a fresh slate. I go through the standard windows installation with a USB, and unplug the USB after windows has been installed onto
    the SSD, the computer will then restart and I get put back into the BIOS. My issue is that once i do this, every-time, no matter what I do when i try to boot to the SSD I get sent back to the BIOS, here is a list of what I've tried:

• Changing boot order
    • unplugging every other SATA cable except for the one connected to the SSD
    • plugging the SSD SATA cable into the lowest number SATA port on my motherboard
    • Plugging in the SSD SATA cable into the port used by my disk drive
    • Enabling and disabling safe boot in the BIOS
    • enabling and disabling CSM in the BIOS
    • Setting the boot CSM to "UEFI only" (does not recognize the SSD anymore)
    • Installing windows from the USB with the SSD being the only drive attached
    • using the same SATA port as my unplugged HDD for my SSD

When in the BIOS the SSD is the only possible boot device recognized by the motherboard, the BIOS does recognize the SSD as a bootable drive. I've checked the SSD when booting from my HDD and all the necessary windows files seem to be there. When attempting
    to boot i get a black screen with a single flashing white line in the top left, then it proceeds into the BIOS.

I have no idea what's wrong and I have found nothing that can fix it. if it's necessary here is my hardware:

ASUS Z97-A

Intel I5-4670K

NVIDIA GeForce 1070

8 GB RAM

A sound card (if that's relevant)

Storage:

HDD: Seagate 1TB

SSD: WD 1TB SSD "3D NAND" (New Drive)

Phinkton, Apr 24, 2020
  4. HDD not appearing in BIOS when SSD is connected

External SSD recognized as HDD in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand your query related to External SSD showing as HDD when connected to the PC using USB 3.0 port. For further clarity on the issue, please respond to the questions below.

1. Have you tried connecting the SSD to any other PC?
    2. Are you using any converter to connect the SSD through USB 3.0 port?
    3. Are you using a RAID configuration?

I have researched on your query and found that the SSD that you are using is an internal SSD drive, in this case I would suggest you to try updating the Intel Rapid Storage drivers from the

intel website
    and see if that helps.

In addition, this issue can occur if the SSD is connected to a SATA controller that is identified as RAID (SCSI). I would suggest you to try connecting the SSD to a SATA port that uses AHCI controller such as Intel SATA controller/chipset.

Please get back to us with the detailed information to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Apr 24, 2020
Thema:

HDD not appearing in BIOS when SSD is connected

1. HDD not appearing in BIOS when SSD is connected - Similar Threads - HDD appearing BIOS

2. Replacing HDD with SSD. USB boot drive not appear in BIOS.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Replacing HDD with SSD. USB boot drive not appear in BIOS.: HelloI'm trying to replace a defective HDD in Windows 10 computer with a SSD. The bootable USB I downloaded with the media creation tool does not appear in the BIOS boot menu. With it not being there I can't set the boot to it. The SSD appears but not the USB drive. Can...
  3. Replacing HDD with SSD. USB boot drive not appear in BIOS.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Replacing HDD with SSD. USB boot drive not appear in BIOS.: HelloI'm trying to replace a defective HDD in Windows 10 computer with a SSD. The bootable USB I downloaded with the media creation tool does not appear in the BIOS boot menu. With it not being there I can't set the boot to it. The SSD appears but not the USB drive. Can...
  4. Replacing HDD with SSD. USB boot drive not appear in BIOS.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Ssd appearing in Bios, but not Diskpart or Installation media

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ssd appearing in Bios, but not Diskpart or Installation media: Hello! My ssd recently decided that windows should be corrupted. I bought a new ssd and transferred the files. But the issue is, when i go to the media tool, the only disks that are showing up are the usb that has the tool on it. The bios as the nwe ssd as active, but when I...
  6. Ssd appearing in Bios, but not Diskpart or Installation media

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ssd appearing in Bios, but not Diskpart or Installation media: Hello! My ssd recently decided that windows should be corrupted. I bought a new ssd and transferred the files. But the issue is, when i go to the media tool, the only disks that are showing up are the usb that has the tool on it. The bios as the nwe ssd as active, but when I...
  7. connect hdd ssd to computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    connect hdd ssd to computer: computer: computer has a hdd item: a 2nd hdd how: to connect a 2nd hdd externally to a computer ? needs: what do you need? like what cable? everything else what do you need? pls link what is needed on amazon so we can understand what is needed this is item, a regular...
  8. My SSD appear in the Bios but not in Disk Managment

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My SSD appear in the Bios but not in Disk Managment: today I trying to clean install Windows 10, but suddenly my SSD dissapair from the partition option, and only show me the hard disk to install the windows 10, when installed the Windows 10, I go to Disk magagment to find out the SSD is missing, doesn't show unallocated,...
  9. SSD not appearing as a boot option in BIOS

SSD not appearing as a boot option in BIOS: I recently cloned my system to my SSD (laptop crashed, when it got fixed windows was installed on my hard drive instead, but laptop came with SSD). I am trying to set it as the boot option in BIOS, but it isn't appearing. The SSD is working fine normally, as I said I...
  10. BIOS Detecting HDD, not appearing in Boot Manager

BIOS Detecting HDD, not appearing in Boot Manager: I was working on my laptop (Lenovo G505s, AMD A10, 10gb Ram, 1Tb HDD, Win 10 edu), suddenly I got a Blue screen error and Windows started collecting data regarding teh error. It went till 100% and got stuck there, after some time the screen started getting distorted, black...