Windows 10: HDD Not being recognized correctly by Windows

Discus and support HDD Not being recognized correctly by Windows in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, I've been having a very weird problem recently. I have a notebook with a 250gb M2 SSD as my main Windows disk, with a 500gb HDD for other... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by GuilhermeCostaL, Oct 26, 2020.

1. HDD Not being recognized correctly by Windows

Hello, I've been having a very weird problem recently.

I have a notebook with a 250gb M2 SSD as my main Windows disk, with a 500gb HDD for other files.

So, on monday last week october 19 I sent my notebook to repair a a small part of the hinges. On thursday I got it back, went to turn it on and the HDD was not showing up on the File Explorer, even though it show up as an available disk in the Device Manager window.
    I tried to check the Disk Management, but after a few minutes longer than usual the window came with a warning that the disk would need to be initialized. Fearing for my files I turned the notebook off and went to experiment with a few things, so here's what happened since:

- I moved the HDD from inside the notebook to an external case and plugged it on an USB port on a different computer. The HDD worked normaly, all my files were there.
    - I was able to backup the most crucial of the files, but not all of them, since I don't have enough available space right now.

- Plugging the HDD now externaly into one the notebook's USB port also worked weirldy enough, so I know it's not an issue with the HDD or the notebook.
    - After all that I tried to put the HDD back into the notebook. After turning it on, the issues were seemingly the same not showing up on the Explorer, etc, but now it became even weirder, as in the Disk Management the HDD is showing a capacity of 1872,00 GB it only has 500gb. It also apears as a GPT Protective Partition.

From what I read online this can me fixed, but it would wipe out all the files there and, as I said, I can't get a backup at the moment. What intrigues me is that the same notebook that is giving me this headache is also able to recognize and acess the HDD normaly through an external case.

So thats my issue. Should I look for a new HDD? Is there a way to fix this without having to risk the rest of my files? I can use it as an external drive for now, but I would prefer to use it the regular way inside the notebook.

Thanks.

:)

GuilhermeCostaL, Oct 26, 2020

2. HDD in a HDD caddy is not showing up in the disk management

Hi,

To assist you better, I would like to ask some questions:

• How are you connecting the HDD Caddy?
    • What is the make and model of your computer?

If you are connecting the device using USB, I suggest you to check if other USB devices are recognized as USB devices or Other device. If it is displaying as other device, then the issue might be with the USB port. So, I suggest you to update the USB drivers
    by following the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X, select Device Manager.
    • Expand Universal Serial Bus Controller.
    • Right click on the drive, select Update Driver Software and follow the on-screen prompts.

Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Oct 26, 2020
  3. Kem Mon Win User
    unlock hdd

Hi Johan,

It is possible that your
    HDD was unreadable
    causing the error message to appear. We recommend that you perform these troubleshooting steps and check if there are any changes:

• Shutdown
      your
      PC.

• Unhooked
      the
      HDD
      and
      turn on
      your
      PC.

• Reconnect
      your
      HDD
      and
      restart
      your
      PC.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you contact your
    laptop/computer's manufacturer
    for further assistance.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Oct 26, 2020
  4. Johankaan Win User

HDD Not being recognized correctly by Windows

unlock hdd

Johankaan, Oct 26, 2020
Thema:

HDD Not being recognized correctly by Windows

1. HDD Not being recognized correctly by Windows - Similar Threads - HDD being recognized

2. numpad not recognized correctly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    numpad not recognized correctly: im tryna do some soundboard stuff but everytime i bind a numpad key to a sound instead of something like numpad1,2,3,etc its like end,down,next,home,pageup etc what going on...
  3. HDD not recognized in windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD not recognized in windows 10: Can someone help. iwant to install a 2TB HDD in my desktop. I got a USB to SATA adapter cause i figure i'm going to have to format it b4 installing windows, But after plugging it in I can't browse the darn thing. It's listed as a hidden device and doesn't even show up in disk...
  4. HDD not recognized in windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HDD not recognized in windows 10: Can someone help. iwant to install a 2TB HDD in my desktop. I got a USB to SATA adapter cause i figure i'm going to have to format it b4 installing windows, But after plugging it in I can't browse the darn thing. It's listed as a hidden device and doesn't even show up in disk...
  5. HDD not recognized in windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. ssd being recognized as hdd after clone

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    ssd being recognized as hdd after clone: I went to upgrade my hard drive to a ssd -using macrium to clone it- and its being recognized as a hard disk drive with computer performance being just as slow as the original hard drive. I've already tired update driver, winsat formal, and winsat diskformal both ran as...
  7. Switch Pro Controller not being recognized correctly

Switch Pro Controller not being recognized correctly: Hello, I recently bought the Pro controller to use for my Switch & Steam games. It works great with the switch, but has been giving me many headaches over the Steam/Windows counterpart. I'm using a USB-C - USB cable to connect it to the PC Win10 Pro 64bit, but the home...
  8. correct password not recognized

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    correct password not recognized: win 10 wont recognize my correct password. I cant get past the opening screen. tried all the fixes i saw on line. nothing works. Not a tech guy and need the computer. frustrated. Any fixes microsoft???...
  9. External HDD no longer being recognized in Windows 10?

External HDD no longer being recognized in Windows 10?: I recently upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 7 Ultimate and now my Seagate USB HDD is no longer being recognized,no drive letters show at all but it is showing that it is plugged in on the task bar and is showing in "Device Manager" as plugged in and enabled but in...
  10. HDD not recognized

HDD not recognized: I have a device that allows exploring HDDs via a UHB hookup. I have several HDDs and have been able to view contents with a device purchased from Cables-to-Go. I don't think that I've used it subsequent to Win 10. Now when I use it it the drives hooked aren't recognized. The...