Windows 10: HDD not recognised on bootup

Discus and support HDD not recognised on bootup in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi all, My PC was on playing Spotify, I came back to it after being in the other room and the PC had crashed and booted to a 'no recognised boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by RobMortimer, Feb 13, 2020.

1. HDD not recognised on bootup

Hi all,

My PC was on playing Spotify, I came back to it after being in the other room and the PC had crashed and booted to a 'no recognised boot disk' screen.

I've tried Startup Repair which as far as I know has never worked for me or anyone I know on any problem ever, and then tried Bootrec. It said successfully completed FixMBR - but it still won't see the HDD.

I'm not sure what to try next. I'd ideally not like to reset/reinstall, but am aware that may be the only option... if the HDD is still even working.

I do have another blank HDD which isn't connected, but I don't want to go through the hassle of installing there if the other one is fixable.

Any help or suggestions much appreciated. Thanks

Details:

Win 10 Upgrade from 8.1

Intel i5 Quad core

Asrock Anniversary Motherboard

8gb RAM DDR3

Nvidia 1070 GFX card

:)

RobMortimer, Feb 13, 2020
  2. Fal73 Win User

Not recognising HDD

I recently updated to Windows 10 Anniversary Update, when I put my computer to sleep when it wakes up it does not recognise my Toshiba HDD. I run my OS and main programs off my Samsung SDD but my documents, music, photos etc. are on my other HDD which is
    not being recognised by my computer. After I restart my computer it shows up again, but if were to put it to sleep again, it would not appear.

When it is not showing up in "my computer" it is also not appearing on device manager.

Suggestions?

Fal73, Feb 13, 2020
  3. Kem Mon Win User
    unlock hdd

Hi Johan,

It is possible that your
    HDD was unreadable
    causing the error message to appear. We recommend that you perform these troubleshooting steps and check if there are any changes:

• Shutdown
      your
      PC.

• Unhooked
      the
      HDD
      and
      turn on
      your
      PC.

• Reconnect
      your
      HDD
      and
      restart
      your
      PC.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you contact your
    laptop/computer's manufacturer
    for further assistance.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Feb 13, 2020
  4. RPB57 Win User

HDD not recognised on bootup

SATA HDD recognised as SSD

Hi. My SATA HDD is recognised as a SSD and Windows 10 will not perform defragmentation on it as a result; which I appreciate. I've tried many of the prescribed procedures mentioned on forums but to no effect. I'm pretty convinced that the problem lies
    in the fact I have installed a SSD in my machine. Windows is recognising the correct size of my SATA HDD however and the SSD isn't showing up quite rightly as its Linux formatted. Using a third party defragmentation program exactly the same problem occurs,
    however I was able to defragment my C drive using it as it just warned against it and didn't prohibit me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

RPB57, Feb 13, 2020
Thema:

HDD not recognised on bootup

1. HDD not recognised on bootup - Similar Threads - HDD recognised bootup

2. SSD and HDD not recognised.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD and HDD not recognised.: Hi All.I have bought another PC recently. It had an HDD fitted but I decided to fit the SSD from my old PC along with this HDD. It seemed like a straight addition to the new PC but having done that I am getting the message 'Cannot find a bootable device'. Can someone please...
  3. SSD and HDD not recognised.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD and HDD not recognised.: Hi All.I have bought another PC recently. It had an HDD fitted but I decided to fit the SSD from my old PC along with this HDD. It seemed like a straight addition to the new PC but having done that I am getting the message 'Cannot find a bootable device'. Can someone please...
  4. SSD and HDD not recognised.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. How to add a delay to HDD's on bootup?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to add a delay to HDD's on bootup?: Windows and bios don't agree on which HDD is 1st 2nd or 3rd. So I need to delay 2 HDD's at bootup but once in windows they are ok. 182778
  6. How to add a delay to HDD's on bootup?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to add a delay to HDD's on bootup?: Windows and bios don't agree on which HDD is 1st 2nd or 3rd. So I need to delay 2 HDD's at bootup but once in windows they are ok. 182778
  7. HDD not recognised

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HDD not recognised: Hi, Am hoping somebody can give me some help getting my 2nd HDD recognised. The full story in brief on how this has happened is :- I did a windows update & after that my pc wouldnt boot i suspect due to usb drivers being disabled , anyway it meant i couldnt even use my mouse...
  8. SSD only recognised as HDD.

SSD only recognised as HDD.: Hello, I have two SSDs in my computer a 500GB Samsung 860 Evo used as the boot device and 1TB Crucial MX500 used as secondary storage. After a computer refresh and restart I ran the defrag program to optimise the drives and noted it recognised them as standard HDDs and was...
  9. SATA HDD recognised as SSD

SATA HDD recognised as SSD: Hi. My SATA HDD is recognised as a SSD and Windows 10 will not perform defragmentation on it as a result; which I appreciate. I've tried many of the prescribed procedures mentioned on forums but to no effect. I'm pretty convinced that the problem lies in the fact I have...
  10. Hdd not recognised in Bios...but...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hdd not recognised in Bios...but...: This one has me scratching my head. Turned on the computer and the bios tells me Bootmgr is missing. Ah! panic, looked in bios and one of my drives is not recognised which happens to be the O/S drive. I opened up the computer and re-seated the Sata connections and went...