Windows 10: HDD not working with Enclosure

Discus and support HDD not working with Enclosure in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I had an old laptop that wouldn't boot, so someone replaced my HDD and gave me the bad one back. They didn't explain what was wrong with it. A few... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by AleHC98, Sep 12, 2016.

1. AleHC98 Win User

HDD not working with Enclosure

I had an old laptop that wouldn't boot, so someone replaced my HDD and gave me the bad one back. They didn't explain what was wrong with it.

A few months ago I bought and enclosure (ORICO 2588US3) to use the HDD with my current PC running Windows 10. When I plug it in, it makes the USB connect sound, nothing else appears. After a short time it appears in the Device Manager, but not on the Disk Management, when it does it just appears for less than a second, with a red dot somewhere.

The old HDD is a Toshiba HDD2E63 250 GB Internal HDD - 2.5" - MK2556GSY - SATA.

I want to know if I am still able to fix it, if so, how can I do it.

Thanks in advance.

:)

AleHC98, Sep 12, 2016

2. USB3 problem with 3 TB external hard drive.

After doing a good bit of research I've created this table of results.

Device `````` `` Win 7 ` Win 10

2TB HDD in USB2 `` Yes `` Yes

2TB HDD in USB3 `` Yes `` Yes

3 TB HDD in USB2 `` Yes `` Yes

3 TB HDD in USB3 `` Yes `` No <----

Edit: OK, as of today Sept. 20 my problem is resolved. I bought a new Inland enclosure, removed the Toshiba 3 TB drive from the old Inland enclosure, put it in the new one, and bingo, it works. It's strange that it worked in the old enclosure with Windows
    7 on USB3 and Windows 10 on USB2, but maybe there was a microcode change in the enclosure I bought yesterday. Both enclosures look identical, so that's all I can think of to try to explain it. Whatever, the problem was with the old enclosure and not Windows

I'll just add that now that re my OP post I don't know about the grits, eggs, and Mona Lisa!

HDD not working with Enclosure [​IMG]
    I've seen things with USB3 and Bluetooth both that I can only say sure seem strange to me.

Hula_Baloo, Sep 12, 2016
  3. Wolfbraht Win User
    Booklet: clean install Windows 7 Starter on Kingston SSD

You're welcome edmwnd!

I know it's not done to "advertise" but I bought a 1.8" enclosure for the 120 Gb HDD at Deal Extreme. art no 56272 (one of the few 1.8" enclosures with micro sata connection).

Makes the HDD useful after all. :smileyindifferent:

Wolfbraht, Sep 12, 2016
  4. Winuser Win User

If the HDD is bad your not going to fix it. If there is data on the drive that you need to copy you could try freezing the drive for about 30 minutes. Then install the drive back into the enclosure and see if it can be read. If it can copy as much of your data as you can to another drive.

Winuser, Sep 13, 2016
  5. Berton Win User
    I looked at the drive case on Amazon, see that it requires a USB 3.0 port on the computer and does not include a power supply, must take what it needs from the USB 3.0 ports. Some of the older Notebook drives needed more than 1Amp power and may not be getting enough through the USB 3.0. I mostly use such cases that come with a Y-cable to plug into USB 2.0 ports, one leg for power and data and the other leg for additional power when needed. I found about the power issue by reading the label on the 2.5" drive when one didn't work.

Berton, Sep 13, 2016
  6. AleHC98 Win User
    Thanks for the help!
    I will try it and see what happens.

AleHC98, Sep 13, 2016
  7. 91fw Win User
    Get a POWERED usb3 hub with 4 or so ports. most are backward compatible with usb2 and avoid the need for 2-cable ones of which i have 2 and don't like'm.
    MK... internal Toshiba drive is likely to work just fine.

91fw, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. HDD not working with Enclosure - Similar Threads - HDD working Enclosure

2. Dynamode HDD enclosure not recognised by Win10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dynamode HDD enclosure not recognised by Win10: Hi, Jon here. (First post. Running Win10 Pro X64, version 1909, on a Fujitsu desktop which originally ran Win8 - I wiped/reformatted the HDD and did a clean install of W10 from an official ISO). Several years ago I bought a Dynamode HDD enclosure and I connected a 320Gb HDD...
  3. Dynamode HDD enclosure not recognised by Win10

in Windows 10 Support
    Dynamode HDD enclosure not recognised by Win10: Hi, Jon here. (First post. Running Win10 Pro X64, version 1909, on a Fujitsu desktop which originally ran Win8 - I wiped/reformatted the HDD and did a clean install of W10 from an official ISO). Several years ago I bought a Dynamode HDD enclosure and I connected a 320Gb HDD...
  4. Other Colors for HDD enclosures?

Other Colors for HDD enclosures?: Might be a bit of a long shot this as I have looked. Other then black, silver or white, is it possible to purchase a USB 3 2.5 or SSD/HDD enclosure only, in red, yellow or any other colour then mentioned above? 179782
  5. Windows 7 HDD in enclosure on Windows 10 SSD machine

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 7 HDD in enclosure on Windows 10 SSD machine: I have a HDD from an old laptop yes the HDD is in good condition that ran windows 7. I pulled it out to upgrade to a larger drive years ago. I forgot I had it and believe I have a file on there that I have not been able to locate anywhere else. I now have a newer machine that...
  6. Why does my Ugreen HDD enclosure not work with Windows 10 Home v1809? It works with my...

Why does my Ugreen HDD enclosure not work with Windows 10 Home v1809? It works with my...: Greetings, I bought a Ugreen HDD enclosure to transfer data from my Asus Q200E laptop -- which died -- to my new Asus Vivobook. I switched the Vivobook out of S Mode to Windows 10 Home v1809. The enclosure is recognized by and is fully accessible from my older Lenovo...
  7. Convert IDE enclosure to take a sata 3.5 HDD.

Convert IDE enclosure to take a sata 3.5 HDD.: Hi, Not sure that this is the correct thread for this question ..... but here goes. I have a 3.5inch Sata HDD which I would like to use, and assumed that I would require a Sata type enclosure in order to use it. I have an empty IDE enclosure and have heard it can be...
  8. Convert IDE enclosure to take a sata 3.5 HDD.

in Windows 10 Support
    Convert IDE enclosure to take a sata 3.5 HDD.: Hi, Not sure that this is the correct thread for this question ..... but here goes. I have a 3.5inch Sata HDD which I would like to use, and assumed that I would require a Sata type enclosure in order to use it. I have an empty IDE enclosure and have heard it can be...
  9. Looking for a 4-bay USB 3.0 external HDD enclosure

Looking for a 4-bay USB 3.0 external HDD enclosure: I'm having a major issue with my current external hard drive enclosures (standard mechanic drives) that I'm trying to resolve in another thread so I won't go into that here: Lost access to drive - "Access is Denied" Basically on my new PC my current enclosures are...
  10. Windows storage spaces with external 2 bay HDD enclosure

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows storage spaces with external 2 bay HDD enclosure: Hi there I can't seem to decide what's the best way option connecting a 2 Bay HDD external enclosure to a laptop for maximum performance. The HDD enclosure can connect via e-sata or a USB 3 connection -- I have to use the USB 3 connection as there's no e-sata external...