Windows 10: HDD replacement on laptop that came with Windows 10, will I lose the licenses?

Discus and support HDD replacement on laptop that came with Windows 10, will I lose the licenses? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; My wife's laptop that she has had for maybe 5 years seems to be having a hard starting when powering on. We can hear some heavy grinds and clicks while... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by JuliaP3, Dec 1, 2019.

1. JuliaP3 Win User

HDD replacement on laptop that came with Windows 10, will I lose the licenses?

My wife's laptop that she has had for maybe 5 years seems to be having a hard starting when powering on. We can hear some heavy grinds and clicks while it boots up. I have purchased an SSD that i can use for this unit. I have noticed that the laptop does have some Windows Office Apps like Excel. My concern is if I do go ahead with the replacement will she lose the licenses for these Windows Office Programs? I have read that unique signatures are in imprinted on the some of the hardware of the laptop. The signature is to help activate when replacing a new HDD or SSD, is this still true? I've looked at the bottom of the device in search of any activation codes, there were only serial and PCID numbers.

:)

JuliaP3, Dec 1, 2019
  2. DMan3000 Win User

Replacing HDD with SSD Windows 10 license

I have an HP Pavilion laptop with Windows 10 on it. I would like to replace the HDD with an SSD with a clean install, rather than clone the HDD. Will I lose my Windows 10 license or will I be able to install Windows 10 and activate the copy?

Thank you.

DMan3000, Dec 1, 2019
  3. krimetal Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade license

Hello guys,

I have 1 license of WIndows 8.1 FPP/retail license. I want to upgrade to WIndows 10, but I one thing is unclear to me.
    If I upgrade, will WIndows 10 license be retail or it will "turn" into some sort of OEM license?

I ask this because I upgrade my PC, you know, more memory, replace HDD, and I intend to upgrade the MB and CPU to Kaby Lake platform sometime in the future, (and of course sell the replaced hardware)
    This thing is not clearly mentioned anywhere.

Thank you.

krimetal, Dec 1, 2019
  4. HDD replacement on laptop that came with Windows 10, will I lose the licenses?

Replace HDD and reactivate Windows 10 with digital license

Hi, I would like to replace HDD and reactivate Windows 10 on my laptop. My Microsoft account is linked to Windows 10 digital license. So, need I remove Windows license from current HDD to activate it later on the new one (as described here)
    or it is not necessary to remove it (OK to follow
    this
    only)? And will it be activated automatically when I sign into my Microsoft account? Windows 10 Retail, upgraded from Windows 8.1. Thank you in advance.

AlexAlexes, Dec 1, 2019
Thema:

HDD replacement on laptop that came with Windows 10, will I lose the licenses?

1. HDD replacement on laptop that came with Windows 10, will I lose the licenses? - Similar Threads - HDD replacement laptop

2. If I factory reset my pre built will I lose the windows 10 license it came with?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    If I factory reset my pre built will I lose the windows 10 license it came with?: My pc has been problematic recently so I want to completely reset it and I am worried that if I do I will lose the license since I don't have a product key for it....
  3. If I factory reset my pre built will I lose the windows 10 license it came with?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    If I factory reset my pre built will I lose the windows 10 license it came with?: My pc has been problematic recently so I want to completely reset it and I am worried that if I do I will lose the license since I don't have a product key for it....
  4. If I factory reset my pre built will I lose the windows 10 license it came with?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Resetting Windows 11 without losing license that came pre-installed by the laptop's...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Resetting Windows 11 without losing license that came pre-installed by the laptop's...: I bought a brand new laptop and it came with pre-installed Windows 11. Recently i've been running into some problems, probably some sort of malware or something and i want to "Reset My PC" by "Removing everything". I just want to make sure if i will lose my Free Windows 11...
  6. Resetting Windows 11 without losing license that came pre-installed by the laptop's...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Resetting Windows 11 without losing license that came pre-installed by the laptop's...: I bought a brand new laptop and it came with pre-installed Windows 11. Recently i've been running into some problems, probably some sort of malware or something and i want to "Reset My PC" by "Removing everything". I just want to make sure if i will lose my Free Windows 11...
  7. Replacing hdd with ssd in a laptop.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Replacing hdd with ssd in a laptop.: Hey, I have an acer laptop that has an hdd with windows 10. I would like to replace this hdd with an ssd, but with a clean install of windows 10. Is there a way to transfer win 10 and activate it onto the ssd. The laptop does not have an additional hdd option. Thanks in...
  8. Replacing HDD with SSD Windows 10 license

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Replacing HDD with SSD Windows 10 license: I have an HP Pavilion laptop with Windows 10 on it. I would like to replace the HDD with an SSD with a clean install, rather than clone the HDD. Will I lose my Windows 10 license or will I be able to install Windows 10 and activate the copy? Thank you....
  9. If I replace HDD will I lose the licence?

If I replace HDD will I lose the licence?: My laptop came with Windows 8. After some time I upgraded to 8.1 (and I know the activation key it was using) and then to Windows 10, which I am currently using. This week I will be replacing HDD with SSD and installing Windows 8.1. Will I be able to activate it with the key...
  10. Replace HDD and reactivate Windows 10 with digital license

Replace HDD and reactivate Windows 10 with digital license: Hi, I would like to replace HDD and reactivate Windows 10 on my laptop. My Microsoft account is linked to Windows 10 digital license. So, need I remove Windows license from current HDD to activate it later on the new one (as described here) or it is not necessary to remove...