Windows 10: HDD SAYING NEEDS OPTIMIZATION 25%SPACE EFFECIENCY

Discus and support HDD SAYING NEEDS OPTIMIZATION 25%SPACE EFFECIENCY in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi Windows Community , My hdd saying needs optimization 25% space effeciency. So I decided to defrag it from command prompt. It didn't worked.Then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by SouvickBhowmick1, Oct 25, 2021.

1. HDD SAYING NEEDS OPTIMIZATION 25%SPACE EFFECIENCY

Hi Windows Community , My hdd saying needs optimization 25% space effeciency. So I decided to defrag it from command prompt. It didn't worked.Then scanned the hdd again same thing. So tried to do it from diskpart and formatted it.But when am optimizing it again the same message displays. Hep me out ...

:)

SouvickBhowmick1, Oct 25, 2021

2. Windows 10 can not optimize HDD, says it is a SSD Help

Hi Steve,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Appreciate your efforts to work on this issue.

• Does the BIOS recognizes the disk as HDD or SSD?

Suggest you to set the Optimize Drives Service to start automatically from the services window to check if that helps.

1. Open the run window, type ‘services.msc’ and press Enter.
    2. Search for Optimize Drives Service and select the start-up type as automatic. Also ensure to start the service.

If you have set SATA controller to AHCI mode for Solid State Drive, in Device Manager it would show as SATA hard disk.

Follow these steps:

1. Click start, type “Defragment” and click “Defragment and Optimize your drives”.
    2. On the “Defragment and Optimize your drives” window. Make sure that your SSD is categorized as an SSD.
    3. If it’s not, then you can set it as a SSD on your bios. This way, you don’t have to exclude your SSD or disable any scheduled defragmentation.
    Disclaimer: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring
    of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Oct 25, 2021
  3. dopefish9 Win User
    Secondary HDD not found by Optimize and Defrag

Hello,

Upgraded to Win10 a few weeks ago. I have a 240G primary SSD (CHDD  SAYING NEEDS OPTIMIZATION 25%SPACE EFFECIENCY :) and 1TB internal secondary HDD (EHDD  SAYING NEEDS OPTIMIZATION 25%SPACE EFFECIENCY :), plus a 1TB external USB backup drive (JHDD  SAYING NEEDS OPTIMIZATION 25%SPACE EFFECIENCY :). I wanted to determine why the internal 1TB HDD seems to have some 'missing' space so I opened Optimize Drives.
    But Optimize Drives only lists the SSD (CHDD  SAYING NEEDS OPTIMIZATION 25%SPACE EFFECIENCY :), USB drive (JHDD  SAYING NEEDS OPTIMIZATION 25%SPACE EFFECIENCY :) and a System Reserved drive. It doesn't list the internal 1TB HDD.

So far my searches have turned up problems where extra drives aren't recognized at all, but mine works fine for everything else (I've moved Libraries there, created system images there, it shows in Explorer, etc.)

Edit: Device Manager indicates no issues with the drive. I've also right-clicked from Explorer > Properties > Tools > Optimize, and the list is still missing this drive.

Can anyone explain this or provide a solution?

Thank you!

Stephen

dopefish9, Oct 25, 2021
  4. isragamer Win User

HDD SAYING NEEDS OPTIMIZATION 25%SPACE EFFECIENCY

HDD Optimization problem

Hi, On my Windows 10 system I have an SSD, a reserved for system HDD and another HDD (F) where I store most of my games. Basically automatic weekly optimization is scheduled, but I just checked the hard drive (F) and it showed me 12% fragmentation saying "needs optimization". I run optimization manually, but it still shows me the same 12% of fragmentation and suggesting optimization. Is it a problem with a disk or a bug in Windows optimization?

isragamer, Oct 25, 2021
Thema:

HDD SAYING NEEDS OPTIMIZATION 25%SPACE EFFECIENCY

1. HDD SAYING NEEDS OPTIMIZATION 25%SPACE EFFECIENCY - Similar Threads - HDD SAYING NEEDS

2. Error During Storage Spaces Optimization

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error During Storage Spaces Optimization: I just added two new drives to Storage Spaces after running low on space. I started the optimization process, and just 1% into it I got a message of "Error Failed; Remove Drive" on one of my older drives, and I'm not sure what to do. The optimization process is still running...
  3. HDD SAYING NEEDS OPTIMIZATION 25%SPACE EFFECIENCY

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD SAYING NEEDS OPTIMIZATION 25%SPACE EFFECIENCY: Hi Windows Community , My hdd saying needs optimization 25% space effeciency. So I decided to defrag it from command prompt. It didn't worked.Then scanned the hdd again same thing. So tried to do it from diskpart and formatted it.But when am optimizing it again the same...
  4. needs optimization

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    needs optimization: When i opened my defragment and optimize drive option my c drive shows the text beside it as "needs optimization 19% fragmented" but when i clicked to optimize ot is not getting completely optimized by showing ok beside it like my other drives. What is the problem?...
  5. optimize drives the current status will keep saying needs optimization even thou it was...

in Windows 10 Customization
    optimize drives the current status will keep saying needs optimization even thou it was...: my win 10 installation the optimize drives will not remember it current status after reboot that it was ran and completed before the reboot. I know there a way to get the current status fixed but not sure what I need to do. Thanks Daniel [ATTACH]...
  6. Windows 10 can not optimize HDD, says it is a SSD Help

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 can not optimize HDD, says it is a SSD Help: I have a new HP laptop with Windows 10 1803. It has a 1 TB SATA disk configured for AHCI, no RAID. Intel RST is running with Optane enabled. Component services recognizes it as a hard disk, but Windows optimize says it is a solid state drive. Device manager and RST think it...
  7. Storage Spaces Optimization

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Storage Spaces Optimization: Hi, Hoping someone can help me here. I'm running Windows 10 and I'm having issues re-building my Storage Space. I had two 3 TB drives in a 2-way mirror. At some point, the connection failed on one drive and took them both down. I have successfully added a third 3 TB...
  8. Optimize Drives says I have SSD when I have HDD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Optimize Drives says I have SSD when I have HDD: As a result it won't let me optimize the drive. If this helps I'm running fall creators update (1709) and the hard drive from device manager is specifically "Intel Optane+931GBHDD". 118761
  9. Optimize Drives says I have SSD when I have HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    Optimize Drives says I have SSD when I have HDD: As a result it won't let me optimize the drive. If this helps I'm running fall creators update (1709) and the hard drive from device manager is specifically "Intel Optane+931GBHDD". 118761
  10. HDD Optimization problem

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    HDD Optimization problem: Hi, On my Windows 10 system I have an SSD, a reserved for system HDD and another HDD (F) where I store most of my games. Basically automatic weekly optimization is scheduled, but I just checked the hard drive (F) and it showed me 12% fragmentation saying "needs optimization"....