Windows 10: HDD speed under SATA I 1.5Gbps

Discus and support HDD speed under SATA I 1.5Gbps in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, I'm kind of shocked about the results of an HDD I happen to have which is SATA I 1.5Gbps. I've read that the real maximum speed using this standard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by rambomhtri, Dec 24, 2020.

1. HDD speed under SATA I 1.5Gbps

Hi, I'm kind of shocked about the results of an HDD I happen to have which is SATA I 1.5Gbps. I've read that the real maximum speed using this standard is about 150MB/s. Knowing that a HDD has between 70-100MB/s maximum speed, then the SATA I is more than enough to support its maximum speeds if you use a USB 3.0 port.

By the way, I'm using the PC in my signature: Z390, i5-9600K and SSD EVO 850. So everything greatly exceeds the HDD.

However, all I'm achieving is 29-32MB/s, in both sequential read and write, and I don't get it. I'm using a SATA III to USB 3.0 adapter, plugged into a USB 3.0. With other HDDs I get what I'm supposed: 80-90MB/s.

Why is the HDD limited to 30MB/s???
    It's as if it was a USB 2.0 interface instead of a SATA I 1.5Gbps.

Parallel to this, I'd like to ask as well another question. I have a USB 3.0 HDD case to transform an internal HDD into an external HDD. It's been working great for many months, andI basically transfer 10-15GB files. As every HDD I've had, the very first seconds there's a burst speed of about 150-300MB/s (which by the way I don't understand how is possible). Then it stabilizes at the known 80-90MB/s and stays there.

Anyways, last week I noticed that when transferring these same sized files, suddenly the first 30-50s I get a speed of 8-15MB/s and then it goes to 60-70MB/s. What the hell is going on?

Both HDD by the way give no warnings or errors in CrystalDiskInfo and have been fully formatted, and the partition table is GPT.

:)

rambomhtri, Dec 24, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Slow HDD read and write speeds

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We will require a few more information from you to help you further with the issue. Please reply with the following details:

• In which device are you facing this issue?
    • Are you using an external HDD or internal HDD?
    • Are you getting the read and write speed issue on any particular application?

However, you can Disk Defragment on your computer to optimize the drive. To run Disk Defragment please follow the steps from the article

Defragment your Windows 10 PC

Alternatively, you can check for the read and write speed of the HDD in task manager. Please follow the steps mentioned below to check the read and write speed of the hard drive:

1. Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc key together on the keyboard.
    2. Click on Performance tab.
    3. Click on Disk 0.
    4. You will find the Read speed and
      Write speed
      at the bottom of the window.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Dec 24, 2020
  3. RPB57 Win User
    SATA HDD recognised as SSD

Just occurred to me. Could it be that the primary boot drive is the Linux SSD. I've got a feeling this could

be the problem. I'm not sure how to configure Windows 10 to boot from the SATA HDD. I will try reinstalling the drivers and look into the BIOS but would appreciate your take on my suggestion.

RPB57, Dec 24, 2020
  4. RPB57 Win User

HDD speed under SATA I 1.5Gbps

SATA HDD recognised as SSD

Hi. My SATA HDD is recognised as a SSD and Windows 10 will not perform defragmentation on it as a result; which I appreciate. I've tried many of the prescribed procedures mentioned on forums but to no effect. I'm pretty convinced that the problem lies
    in the fact I have installed a SSD in my machine. Windows is recognising the correct size of my SATA HDD however and the SSD isn't showing up quite rightly as its Linux formatted. Using a third party defragmentation program exactly the same problem occurs,
    however I was able to defragment my C drive using it as it just warned against it and didn't prohibit me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

RPB57, Dec 24, 2020
Thema:

HDD speed under SATA I 1.5Gbps

1. HDD speed under SATA I 1.5Gbps - Similar Threads - HDD speed under

2. Upload speed under 1 mbps on ethernet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upload speed under 1 mbps on ethernet: So I have gigabit internet and have never had a problem on my computer until about a month ago but I haven't had the time to figure it out till today and all that I have done is make the problem worse. I had an issue where my download speed was 800-900 range which is what I...
  3. Upload speed under 1 mbps on ethernet

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upload speed under 1 mbps on ethernet: So I have gigabit internet and have never had a problem on my computer until about a month ago but I haven't had the time to figure it out till today and all that I have done is make the problem worse. I had an issue where my download speed was 800-900 range which is what I...
  4. Upload speed under 1 mbps on ethernet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. HDD speed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD speed: Has MS solved the slow HDD read and write problems on Win 10? Is there an official fix for this?This was asked back in 2018 and your reply Nikhar Khare was to explain how to view disk performance. Not an answer to the question.Do you have a helpful reply to: "Has MS solved...
  6. HDD SATA DISAPPEARED

HDD SATA DISAPPEARED: After updating to Windows 11, my HDD disks disappeared. The ssd drives are in place and working. But the most interesting thing is that they are perfectly visible in the BIOS, but they are nowhere in the OS. When you roll back to Windows 10, they start working again.How to...
  7. HDD SATA DISAPPEARED

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD SATA DISAPPEARED: After updating to Windows 11, my HDD disks disappeared. The ssd drives are in place and working. But the most interesting thing is that they are perfectly visible in the BIOS, but they are nowhere in the OS. When you roll back to Windows 10, they start working again.How to...
  8. Speed of HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Speed of HDD: I have filled my 1TB 4 Years old HDD Hard Disk Drive upto 150GB though it is quite slow.I have tried everything defragmentation, indexing, background apps, startup apps, clearing up space. I know that SSD may solve these problems but I am not instresed in investing an amount...
  9. Speed of HDD

Speed of HDD: I have filled my 1TB 4 Years old HDD Hard Disk Drive upto 150GB though it is quite slow.I have tried everything defragmentation, indexing, background apps, startup apps, clearing up space. I know that SSD may solve these problems but I am not instresed in investing an amount...
  10. Download Speed Under 1 MBPS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Download Speed Under 1 MBPS: Hello, I am currently having an issue with my PCs download speed. I have tried wi fi and ethernet, but all of the following things I have tried have been while connected via ethernet to my router. My xfinity plan is for 200mbps download speed. My Iphone 7 gets 189mbps on...