Windows 10: "HDD/SSD failure detected" error when USB drive plugged in

Discus and support "HDD/SSD failure detected" error when USB drive plugged in in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi all Having a slightly odd problem. I just moved across the world and took parts of my PC with me but not all - I replaced the case and power supply... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by arisutan, May 13, 2019.

1. arisutan Win User

"HDD/SSD failure detected" error when USB drive plugged in

Hi all
    Having a slightly odd problem. I just moved across the world and took parts of my PC with me but not all - I replaced the case and power supply in my new country. Since rebuilding everything it works completely fine, identical setup, but for some reason when I have my external HDD plugged in (which I had 24/7 back home), I get an error prior to boot indicating that my drive(s) are critically failing and "could crash at any moment". However there is absolutely nothing wrong with aforementioned drive, if I plug it in after booting normally I can browse my files and use my PC just fine. What's the deal? Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks

:)

arisutan, May 13, 2019
  2. DaveM121 Win User

USB HDD: IN BIOS

Hi AJAY, in modern BIOS (UEFI) it is normal to have USB devices listed, such as USB HDD without drive being plugged in.

In older Legacy BIOS, a drive would have to be plugged in for it to be listed in BIOS, but not no londer . . .

DaveM121, May 13, 2019
  3. hdd to ssd on new computer

i plan on keeping the hdd drive for back up but i know to plug in the ssd but heres my problem its going to be 2 ssd drive at 1 tb a piece do i have to install windows to both but the installation of the windows is going to be on a flash drive that i plug
    into the usb drive i dont plan on plugging the hdd back in an only leaving the 2 ssd if i do that do i still have to go through bios

chasemcdonald1, May 13, 2019
  4. Jetster Win User

SSD vs HDD Failure

Even though SSDs can have catastrophic failures rather than slow death. The failure rate of an SSD is far below any HDD. Most SSD falure rates are below .50% were HDD are 2 to5 % some as high as 12%

I use an SSD for Boot and games, another for a temp drive for video editing. Then a HDD for storing data

I take it your NAS has platter drives?

Jetster, May 13, 2019
Thema:

1. "HDD/SSD failure detected" error when USB drive plugged in - Similar Threads - HDD SSD failure

2. Device not detecting SSD and HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Device not detecting SSD and HDD: Hi, I have an old laptop so I replaced the HDD with a SSD windows 10. Since the SSD wasn't being detected , I turned on the legacy support in BIOS and the pc booted. But I have to turn on legacy support every time I turn on my laptop. Also I have installed the HDD in a caddy...
  3. Windows detects SSD drive as HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows detects SSD drive as HDD: Hello, i have three disks in my PCC: M.2 1TB SSD windows driveD: 1TB HDDE: M.2 1TB SSDi freshly installed windows 11 pro, in task manager the only disk showing up as a SSD is my windows drive. the two other drives as HDDi unplugged my HDD and formatted my E: disk again. then...
  4. Windows detects SSD drive as HDD

Windows detects SSD drive as HDD: Hello, i have three disks in my PCC: M.2 1TB SSD windows driveD: 1TB HDDE: M.2 1TB SSDi freshly installed windows 11 pro, in task manager the only disk showing up as a SSD is my windows drive. the two other drives as HDDi unplugged my HDD and formatted my E: disk again. then...
  5. SSD detecting as an HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD detecting as an HDD: My SSD is detected as an HDD! I don't know why this is happening so suddenly. I left my laptop for around 40 minutes and once I came back and noticed that my laptop was being so slow for no reason. I clean up my memory using software thinking it was my ram that was causing...
  6. SSD detecting as an HDD

SSD detecting as an HDD: My SSD is detected as an HDD! I don't know why this is happening so suddenly. I left my laptop for around 40 minutes and once I came back and noticed that my laptop was being so slow for no reason. I clean up my memory using software thinking it was my ram that was causing...
  7. My SSD is detected as a HDD.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My SSD is detected as a HDD.: So I'm trying to set up Linux to dual boot, and I go to defragment my drive. It's detected as a HDD instead of an SSD. I've tried switching to that drive in Command Prompt and running both winsat commands. However, it still shows as a HDD. Any fix for this?...
  8. Windows 10 SSD via USB detected as HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 SSD via USB detected as HDD: My old Startech enclosure was dying on me and I replaced it with a Gembird enclosure (the only one I could get my hands on) USB 3.0 2.5'' enclosure, black (EE2-U3S-2) With the old enclosure, Windows identified my SSD correctly as Samsung SSD EVO 860 under Disk Drives. With...
  9. USB drive not detected in Windows Explorer when plugged in

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB drive not detected in Windows Explorer when plugged in: Hello all, I've got a bit of a weird problem. I am installing a new notebook (HP ProBook 470) for one of my colleagues. He uses a lot of different USB drives for his work. When I plug in one USB drive, it will not show up in Windows Explorer. So I checked if it will show...
  10. No drives detected, won't boot if there's a usb plugged in

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    No drives detected, won't boot if there's a usb plugged in: I switched off my pc during a 'getting windows ready screen' that got stuck due to the fact I didn't want to leave it on over night. The next day when I tried to boot it, it let off a loud prolonged beep and got stuck in the now very laggy bios menu. Some research online...