Windows 10: hdd starting up when using files on ssd

Discus and support hdd starting up when using files on ssd in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi Guys, Wondering if someone can help with an annoying issue I'm having,I've 2 ssds and an hdd,windows 10 my agmes and any programs are on the 2... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Villanut, May 26, 2019.

1. Villanut Win User

hdd starting up when using files on ssd

Hi Guys,

Wondering if someone can help with an annoying issue I'm having,I've 2 ssds and an hdd,windows 10 my agmes and any programs are on the 2 ssds.
    The hdd is only for media but if I want to open a program there is always a pause and you can hear the hdd start up.
    How can I stop this from happening?

The drive shouldn't be used as I said it's only for media.

:)

Villanut, May 26, 2019

2. Windows 10 can not optimize HDD, says it is a SSD Help

Hi Steve,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Appreciate your efforts to work on this issue.

• Does the BIOS recognizes the disk as HDD or SSD?

Suggest you to set the Optimize Drives Service to start automatically from the services window to check if that helps.

1. Open the run window, type ‘services.msc’ and press Enter.
    2. Search for Optimize Drives Service and select the start-up type as automatic. Also ensure to start the service.

If you have set SATA controller to AHCI mode for Solid State Drive, in Device Manager it would show as SATA hard disk.

Follow these steps:

1. Click start, type “Defragment” and click “Defragment and Optimize your drives”.
    2. On the “Defragment and Optimize your drives” window. Make sure that your SSD is categorized as an SSD.
    3. If it’s not, then you can set it as a SSD on your bios. This way, you don’t have to exclude your SSD or disable any scheduled defragmentation.
    Disclaimer: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring
    of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, May 26, 2019
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    SSD VS HDD

Storage wise an SSD is absolutely no different to a HDD - 500GB SSD = 500GB HDD.

The difference between an SSD and an HDD is mainly Read/Write speed - How fast Windows, Applications and Files load

An SSD is much faster than an HDD

Also SSD's do not need defragmenting as they employ a totally different method of storing files and deleting files.

I Hope this Answers your Question!

DaveM121, May 26, 2019
  4. hdd starting up when using files on ssd

How to transfer files from SSD to HDD?

I am currently using Acer Swift 3 Windows 10. This laptop has two storages which are SSD and HDD. Every time I download or transfer any files from my pen drives, the files will be saved in SSD. I do not know how to save in HDD. I want to save in HDD because
    it has larger spaces compared to SSD. How to transfer my current files in SSD to HDD and how to make HDD as my default storage? Please help me solve this. Thank you.

yellowhoody, May 26, 2019
Thema:

hdd starting up when using files on ssd

1. hdd starting up when using files on ssd - Similar Threads - hdd starting using

2. SSD showing up as HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD showing up as HDD: since this question is already closed in thread https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ssd-showing-up-as-hdd-in-device-manager/e1dad58d-4bbb-40f6-862b-783b18f06371 I refer to it herewith again. Since it has at the time of writing this one here one hundred "I've...
  3. SSD showing up as HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD showing up as HDD: My SSD is showing up as HDD in task manager and disk management, i need it to show up as SSD so i can install windows subsystem for android https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ssd-showing-up-as-hdd/d314266f-d87b-446a-bc38-31e6655fed25
  4. SSD showing up as HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD showing up as HDD: My SSD is showing up as HDD in task manager and disk management, i need it to show up as SSD so i can install windows subsystem for android https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ssd-showing-up-as-hdd/d314266f-d87b-446a-bc38-31e6655fed25
  5. Using SSD or HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Using SSD or HDD: I just bought a new computer with Windows 10 Pro installed. It came with a 512 Gb SSD and 1 Tb HDD. It automatically has been storing all of my data on the SSD. I am not a game player and have only one game downloaded. My data totals only 24 Gb's so far and adding more...
  6. Use SSD as cache for HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Use SSD as cache for HDD: Hello everyone! I was wondering if I could use a 128GB SSD as cache for my 2TB HDD. What program should I use? Is it a native Windows feature? Is this the right subreddit to post this? Thanks :) submitted by /u/GnossisYT [link] [comments]...
  7. SSD showing up as HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD showing up as HDD: Hey there, I recently had a 1TB Seagate HDD installed on to my Asus ROG laptop which already had an inbuilt 1TB SSD. But I am surprised as to why my Task Manager enlists my SSD with the credentials of my HDD and my HDD with that of my SSD. I know it is switched because my...
  8. Hdd starts when starting program or game on ssd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hdd starts when starting program or game on ssd: Hi Guys, As the title of my thread says the annoying issue I'm having is if I start a game or program on either of my ssd my old hard drive I use for media starts and slows down the loading. Has anyone got a solution for this please? 145594
  9. hdd starting up when using files on ssd

in Windows 10 Support
    hdd starting up when using files on ssd: Hi Guys, Wondering if someone can help with an annoying issue I'm having,I've 2 ssds and an hdd,windows 10 my agmes and any programs are on the 2 ssds. The hdd is only for media but if I want to open a program there is always a pause and you can hear the hdd start up. How...
  10. Using SSD and HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Using SSD and HDD: I have a hard drive and an SSD. I want to use the SSD for booding and the hard drive for storing everything else except a few apps (ex. chrome and frequently used ones). I am new to windows. How do I do this?...