Windows 10: Hdd starts when starting program or game on ssd

Discus and support Hdd starts when starting program or game on ssd in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi Guys, As the title of my thread says the annoying issue I'm having is if I start a game or program on either of my ssd my old hard drive I use for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Villanut, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Villanut Win User

Hdd starts when starting program or game on ssd

Hi Guys,

As the title of my thread says the annoying issue I'm having is if I start a game or program on either of my ssd my old hard drive I use for media starts and slows down the loading.

Has anyone got a solution for this please?

:)

Villanut, Dec 3, 2019

2. Windows 10 can not optimize HDD, says it is a SSD Help

Hi Steve,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Appreciate your efforts to work on this issue.

• Does the BIOS recognizes the disk as HDD or SSD?

Suggest you to set the Optimize Drives Service to start automatically from the services window to check if that helps.

1. Open the run window, type ‘services.msc’ and press Enter.
    2. Search for Optimize Drives Service and select the start-up type as automatic. Also ensure to start the service.

If you have set SATA controller to AHCI mode for Solid State Drive, in Device Manager it would show as SATA hard disk.

Follow these steps:

1. Click start, type “Defragment” and click “Defragment and Optimize your drives”.
    2. On the “Defragment and Optimize your drives” window. Make sure that your SSD is categorized as an SSD.
    3. If it’s not, then you can set it as a SSD on your bios. This way, you don’t have to exclude your SSD or disable any scheduled defragmentation.
    Disclaimer: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring
    of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Dec 3, 2019
  3. SSD for new Windows, keeping files and programs on HDD

Alright, I know this was asked a few times before, but each scenario I found was a bit different so I wanted to be safe and present my situation for review.

I currently have a 1TB HDD with Windows 10 and just obtained a 240GB SSD. I want to install Windows 10 (which I've already obtained an ISO from Microsoft to work with) onto the SSD along with some major games so improve performance. However, I want to keep
    the majority of the files and programs on my HDD. I was given two options to take, both of which I have questions about before I proceed.

Option 1) Create a backup of my HDD onto an external hard drive, format the HDD, boot from my flash drive containing Windows and install it onto the SSD. Retrieve the files from the backup and move them back onto the HDD.

In this scenario I'd need to reinstall all the programs I have, because I assume they wouldn't work properly with a new OS installed. If this is correct, should I uninstall the programs before the backup to make things cleaner? During the re-installation,
    I'd be choosing the HDD as the location, but would it be able to launch the program located on another drive easily? This is my first time attempting to use multiple drives.

Option 2) Leave my HDD as it is, install Windows onto the SSD and ensure my computer boots to the SSD from the BIOS.

This bypasses the problem of needing to back up and retrieve files. However, would the programs continue to work? This goes back to my previous concern of launching programs located on another drive.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I haven't messed with this in like eight years so I'm a bit nervous, especially considering how much this gaming rig has cost me so far. Would kill me inside to lose anything or be out of commission fixing it for a week.

VetisAysel, Dec 3, 2019
  4. Hdd starts when starting program or game on ssd

my game doesnt start

Hi,

Errors in launching your game are possibly caused by a corrupted game component. It could also be due to compatibility issues with the game and the current Windows Update version installed on your computer. To resolve your concern, we suggest that you run
    the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter or change the compatibility settings on your computer to make older programs compatible with Windows 10 by following the steps on this

link

We also suggest that you perform a clean boot to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows 10.
    You may click on this
    link
    and follow the steps to perform a clean boot.

Make sure that you install all the critical and important updates on the computer by following the steps on this

link

Keep us updated with the results after performing the suggested solutions above.

Loraine Mon, Dec 3, 2019
Thema:

Hdd starts when starting program or game on ssd

1. Hdd starts when starting program or game on ssd - Similar Threads - Hdd starts starting

2. all programs/games crashing when there are started

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    all programs/games crashing when there are started: when i try to open the trouble shoot or other programs like Microsoft edge or other programs the crash and i can't do anything help plz https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/all-programsgames-crashing-when-there-are-started/4ee9be79-ba40-4726-90c3-b0f437773c00
  3. BSOD when starting a game

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD when starting a game: Whenever I try to start a game , a specific game nit all of them , I get the BSOD giving error Page fault in non paged area The reason xhunter1.sys I tried deleting the fike but it kseps coming back I contacted the game's customer support but apparently this case is...
  4. BSOD when starting a game

BSOD when starting a game: I recently updated my computer by installing new MB, CPU, RAMs and a M.2 SSD. I also purchased and installed a new copy of WIN10 professional because of the MB change. It turns on fast and works nicely, except that it goes into BSOD sometimes when I start a game. The...
  5. Games Crash When Started

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Games Crash When Started: I just got a PC and i bought a new game the first day i got my gaming PC, Called Rainbow Six Siege And When It finished downloading i went to start it and crashed/stopped running I tried to change the game to Windows 7 and it didn't work help please....
  6. bsod when starting games

bsod when starting games: Hi guys! I am getting a blue screen of death every time I start a game. the game I am testing if the BSOD still appearing is Minecraft (Java edition) I had this problem in Windows 7 and Windows 10 all the drivers are up to date! I have : processor: i5-4670 3.40 GHz...
  7. hdd starting up when using files on ssd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    hdd starting up when using files on ssd: Hi Guys, Wondering if someone can help with an annoying issue I'm having,I've 2 ssds and an hdd,windows 10 my agmes and any programs are on the 2 ssds. The hdd is only for media but if I want to open a program there is always a pause and you can hear the hdd start up. How...
  8. hdd starting up when using files on ssd

in Windows 10 Support
    hdd starting up when using files on ssd: Hi Guys, Wondering if someone can help with an annoying issue I'm having,I've 2 ssds and an hdd,windows 10 my agmes and any programs are on the 2 ssds. The hdd is only for media but if I want to open a program there is always a pause and you can hear the hdd start up. How...
  9. how to add a program to the list of programs that will start when windows starts

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to add a program to the list of programs that will start when windows starts: I want to learn how to add a program to the list of programs that will start when windows starts. As an exercise and to describe the steps to take, I tried to add a program called Keepass. Here are the steps I took: 1. click start/search msconfig [ATTACH] 2. click...
  10. Bsod when starting a game

Bsod when starting a game: Hey guys, When im using my PC for normal use (internet,word,music, etc..) I have no problem. But the moment I start up a game I get a bsod. Does anyone know what the problem is and how to solve it? Thanks in advance! 34221