Windows 10: hdd to small for installing system image

Discus and support hdd to small for installing system image in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; windows 10 system image on dvds On a 70gb sata hdd partition, I updated from windows 7 home premium 64bit to windows 10. In windows 10 I deleted... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by dgg, Jul 21, 2016.

1. DGG
    dgg Win User

hdd to small for installing system image

windows 10
    system image on dvds

On a 70gb sata hdd partition, I updated from windows 7 home premium 64bit to windows 10. In windows 10 I deleted the windows 7 files. After that, the windows 10 system size was about 20gb. I then created a system image on 2 dvds. Windows 10 must be able to compress the image a lot. After that I wanted to install the windows 10 system image on a smaller 35gb partition. Installing the system image a 0x80042407 error displayed. Error message saying the hdd is to small. I assume the system image sets the required partition to 70gb or bigger.
    On the 70gb partition the windows 10 system size is about 20gb. Can I make the 70gb partition smaller, to about 25gb. Restart computer. Make a new system image. Will the new system image accept to be get installed on a 35gb partition?
    Thanks.

:)

2. slance310 Win User

Recover Wizard Windows 7.8,8.1 and 10 Pro

Hi,

A 64gb PNY should be plenty...

You could almost buy a 1TB HDD for $49...

A couple of important issues though...

A Recovery Drive needs to be bootable... so you can't really use a USB HDD for that...

That would work if you could run windows, but not if windows wouldn't boot...

You could boot from Windows installation media and select REPAIR at the Install Screen and use the Troubleshooting options to access the media on the USB HDD..

You could also create a System Image on the USB HDD and use the Win 10 media to reload the image if needed...

If you want to use the Flash Drive for a Recovery Drive that also contains a System Image, that would also work... Unfortunately, I am not 100% sure if the image it included on the Recovery Drive, would be an Image of the machine as it is now, or just an
    Image of Win 10 with none of your stuff on it...

I will see if I can test that quick...

I think personally, that my choice would be to Create a small bootable Flash Drive of 4-8gb in size, or DVD, and save my System Images to a USB HDD...

slance310, Jul 21, 2016
  3. GlenRisk Win User
    How to: Create a system image in Windows 10

It keeps telling me that it can't create a system image on my external hdd because it isn't NTFS. I tried formatting a thumb drive to NTFS and it said it was not suitable. The only drive it will accept is a small 8G microSD which is in my mobile broadband
    dongle, which is obviously to small and is also formatted to Fat32?

GlenRisk, Jul 21, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Use Macrium Reflect Free to create your system image and restore it. Macrium Reflect will allow you to resize the image when you restore it:
    Macrium Reflect Free

NavyLCDR, Jul 21, 2016
  5. DGG
    dgg Win User
    Thank you. It worked. I put the system on an usb connected hdd.

Thema:

1. hdd to small for installing system image - Similar Threads - hdd small installing

2. USB HDD not found by System Image Recovery

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    USB HDD not found by System Image Recovery: Hi, I'm using a Dell laptop running Windows 10I have made a system image onto a Toshiba External HDD 3.0.I then place a System Disc DVD made previously on another Laptop into the drive of the laptop I wish to recover.I attach the Toshiba External HDD to the laptop along with...
  3. Re-imaging a new Hdd with System Image files on DVDs

Re-imaging a new Hdd with System Image files on DVDs: Hi. I am trying to load my apps and data onto a new hard drive from System Image I have on DVDs. However, I don't get the"Use the latest available system page" option but only "Select a system image" checked on "Select a system image backup" panel, although CD drive is...
  4. Systems Image on External HDD not seen by PC

Systems Image on External HDD not seen by PC: I have created a systems image on an external HDD using the old Windows 7 Backup/ Restore Setting which still exists in Windows 10. However when trying to restore the image from the PC itself, the restore settings cannot find the WindowsSystemsImage Folder on the external...
  5. Win10 Install from small HDD

Win10 Install from small HDD: Hi Gang! Okay, I have older stuff, most from around 2010, yea, I know, I'm poor! None of my boxes have on-board USB3, so USB2 installs are my only choice unless I want to turn to dust waiting on and hoping the DVD doesn't choke 30 minutes into just loading up before the...
  6. Restore system image to a smaller HDD

Restore system image to a smaller HDD: I want to restore my system to a new HDD The old drive is 2Tb and the new one is 1Tb. The data on the drive amounts to around 120Gb but the partition cannot be reduced below 937Gb and my new drive has only 931Gb usable space. I have the same problem trying to clone. I've...
  7. Ssd too small for system image.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Ssd too small for system image.: I have an old computer running Win 10 Pro. I noticed I was getting disk errors so I ordered a new 120GB SSD to replace it. I was going to do one of three things. Option 1. Insert new drive and use 3rd party software to clone the drive with the OS Option 2. Make a system image...
  8. Ssd too small for system image.

Ssd too small for system image.: I have an old computer running Win 10 Pro. I noticed I was getting disk errors so I ordered a new 120GB SSD to replace it. I was going to do one of three things. Option 1. Insert new drive and use 3rd party software to clone the drive with the OS Option 2. Make a system image...
  9. System image creation failed overfills HDD

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System image creation failed overfills HDD: Hi! I've just bought a new computer. I'm trying to make an image of the system inside a partition of the internal Hard Disk. At the end of the process it says that the backup is failed because the shadow file is on another volume. Letting this error apart (I could copy the...
  10. Create installation media using small partition on HDD?

Create installation media using small partition on HDD?: I was wondering whether I could create a small partition on one of my HDDs and use the installation media creation tool to put the installation files on that and then set the BIOS to boot from that partition and start the process of installing Windows? I can't find my USB...