Windows 10: HDD to SSD NVME not booting after clone

Discus and support HDD to SSD NVME not booting after clone in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Here is my issues, after cloning, I can find the SSD but once boot with that the screen is hanging. Have to use HDD to boot. Please help how to modify... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by nicboy, Mar 9, 2021.

1. nicboy Win User

HDD to SSD NVME not booting after clone

Here is my issues, after cloning, I can find the SSD but once boot with that the screen is hanging. Have to use HDD to boot. Please help how to modify it. Do I need to redo it.

HDD to SSD NVME not booting after clone [​IMG]

HDD to SSD NVME not booting after clone [​IMG]

:)

nicboy, Mar 9, 2021

2. cloning hdd to NVMe m.2

if i clone my hdd to a nvme m.2 using something like macrium will windows use the right driver for nvme on boot or would i need to reinstall to get correct drivers

Crocodile_aligator, Mar 9, 2021
  3. Clone present nvme pcie ssd to replacement nvme pcie ssd?

I have a 500GB M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe SSD (boot drive) that I want to replace with a higher capacity M.2 card.

Where do I put the new SSD during the NVMe to NVMe cloning process? My mobo only has one M.2 slot for NVMe SSD's so do I want to use an external adapter for one of the M.2 cards? If so, do you have a recommendation?

If you have solved this issue for your desktop or laptop I would like your advice on if and what extra hardware you needed during the cloning.

please remember that I am dealing with PCIe NVMe drives ONLY. NO Sata is involved except possibly for a connecting cable from the desktop to an adapter. I am experienced with cloning SATA III drives but cloning NVMe is a little
    new to me.

Computer: Dell XPS 8920, 32GB ram.

Present SSD: KXG50ZNV512G NVMe Toshiba 512GB

New SSD: CT13049074 Crucial P1 NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD 1TB (or 2TB if available soon) or similar storage device.

Windows 10 Pro for Workstations, version 1809.

Cbarnhorst, Mar 9, 2021
  4. slance310 Win User

Missing Boot record (Error code: 0xc000000e) after cloning OS from an NVMe SSD to a SATA SSD

Hi,

I'm having a bit of trouble following what you have done so far, but might suggest a trick that might work..

Your one picture says Disk 0 is the new cloned drive, but is showing a 256gb, not 1tb... Not a big deal, but I just wanted to make sure what I mention is correct..

Will the machine boot from the 256gb SSD with the NVMe and new 1tb removed ?

My impression is that you are now working with the new 1tb SSD that was a clone of the NVMe, and the NVMe that had the new 1tb SSD cloned back to it..

This is my suggestion that has worked for me in the past, but not always.. The way windows lays out the partitions in UEFI machines can be tricky.. Sometimes just 1mb of free space before the first partition can break the deal..

If your machine boots properly from the temp 256gb SSD, try this.. It will require that you make an image of the 256gb SSD and use bootable Macrium to restore part of it to the NVMe.. I chose the NVMe for this because it is a copy of a copy.. The best original
    you have is now the new 1tb SSD..

Remove all other drives before attempting to boot with the NVMe after doing this..

After imaging the 256gb SSD, try recovering it's first Recovery partition to the NVMe and see what happens.. If that does not work, try Recovering both the Recovery and EFI.. If that fails, try all three of the partitions prior to the Windows partition..

If you still need to create the bootable media, don't even bother messing with the WinPE\Re version.. It is a real pain to create, and in my opinion, does not work as well as the Linux version.. The Linux version pretty much ignores any type of Windows fussiness,
    and just does the job you request..

BTW.. Another method might be to wipe the NVMe and reinstall Windows... Then once installed and functioning, image the cloned 1tb SSD, then restore the windows partition to the NVMe overwriting what has just been installed..

slance310, Mar 9, 2021
Thema:

1. HDD to SSD NVME not booting after clone - Similar Threads - HDD SSD NVME

2. System does not boot after cloning SSD to NVME

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System does not boot after cloning SSD to NVME: I cloned my SSD to my NVME SSD succesfully, but when I am trying to boot from the NVME it will display two different kinds of error messages depending on if I am booting with Legacy or UEFI. If I am booting with Legacy or UEFI with CSM, it will display a black screen that...
  3. System does not boot after cloning SSD to NVME

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System does not boot after cloning SSD to NVME: I cloned my SSD to my NVME SSD succesfully, but when I am trying to boot from the NVME it will display two different kinds of error messages depending on if I am booting with Legacy or UEFI. If I am booting with Legacy or UEFI with CSM, it will display a black screen that...
  4. System does not boot after cloning SSD to NVME

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Cloned HDD to SSD, how to set SSD as Boot?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cloned HDD to SSD, how to set SSD as Boot?: I've recently got my new SSD and cloned the HDD to it. When I went back to the BIOS to set the boot priority and restarted the computer, it wouldn't boot Windows 10 "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key". My SSD is...
  6. Cloned HDD to SSD, how to set SSD as Boot?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cloned HDD to SSD, how to set SSD as Boot?: I've recently got my new SSD and cloned the HDD to it. When I went back to the BIOS to set the boot priority and restarted the computer, it wouldn't boot Windows 10 "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key". My SSD is...
  7. Cloned HDD to SSD, how to set SSD as Boot?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Inaccessible Boot Device after NVMe to NVMe clone

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Inaccessible Boot Device after NVMe to NVMe clone: I used Clonezilla to clone an HP EX920 to a Samsung 980 NVMe. Then I replaced the HP with the 980 in my PC as primary boot device and it started to boot, showing the Windows loading screen. Eventually it BSOD and had inaccessible boot device. Apparently Clonezilla set up the...
  9. HDD to SSD clone.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDD to SSD clone.: Want to transfer my whole operating system along with the data from a HDD to a SSD but don't know how to do it. Help needed. SSD not yet bought so suggestion on what company to buy from are welcome. Currently using western digital wd10spzx-60z10t0 1TB. Let me know if more...
  10. HDD Clone To SSD Won't Boot After A Week...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    HDD Clone To SSD Won't Boot After A Week...: I recently cloned the hard drive in my cousin's computer over to an SSD. The computer booted just fine on the first try with the SSD. I ran some updates and got rid of some startup programs she didn't need. She got it back a couple of days later and it was running fine....