Windows 10: HDD to SSD, Swapping Mobo too (OEM License)

Discus and support HDD to SSD, Swapping Mobo too (OEM License) in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hey guys! I’m in the process of upgrading/changing my parts. Switching from Intel to a Ryzen 7 3700x and B550 ROG -F Strix Gaming. I will also be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/dumamay6, Aug 20, 2020.

1. HDD to SSD, Swapping Mobo too (OEM License)

Hey guys! I’m in the process of upgrading/changing my parts. Switching from Intel to a Ryzen 7 3700x and B550 ROG -F Strix Gaming. I will also be switching boot priority to the 1 Tb SSD. I currently have a 1 Tb HDD that I want to transfer files over to the SSD. I also have an OEM Windows 10 pro license that is tied to my Microsoft account (it says Windows activated and linked to Microsoft Account).

How will I transfer my files over to the SSD (cloning vs clean install, which is better in the long run)? Is the Windows 10 linked to the Mobo (will I need a new windows 10 key?)? Let me know!!

submitted by /u/dumamay6
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/dumamay6, Aug 20, 2020

2. Swap HDD between PCs with Win10

Hi,

I just bought a ASUG G20 gaming PC that comes with a 1TB HDD and a OEM Win10 installed with a digital key. I have a custom built Win10 PC with a 500GB SSD and a Win10 digital license (from a Win8 upgrade) linked to my account.

Can I from a Win10 license point-of-view simply swap the HDD over and expect the licenses to function correctly?

My worry is that the OEM license will not work on my custom built PC and that I cannot swap the licenses "around" - any suggestions on how this functions?

Regards

Jeppe

Jeppe Funk, Aug 20, 2020
  3. Windows OEM Licensed - SSD Upgrade

Hi guys,

wanna ask, I just bought new laptop with Installed OEM Windows 10 SL inside,

Then I wanna replace my HDD into SSD *upgrade.

So can the OEM licensed used again in the new SSD ? or What should I do to transfer the OEM licensed from the HDD into new SSD, is it possible ? Thanks

Albi Putra, Aug 20, 2020
  4. HDD to SSD, Swapping Mobo too (OEM License)

Migrating Win10 OEM Upgrade from HDD to SSD

I recently helped a friend with OEM Windows 7 Home Premium on his laptop upgrade to Windows 10. All went well with no probs - so laptop is currently running Windows 10 OEM.

He now wants to swap out the single HDD for a Samsung 850 Evo SSD. Can I simply migrate the HDD to the SSD, and then swap the SSD for the HDD - and Windows 10 OEM will still be activated?

I did something similar with my laptop (running Win10 Retail, upgraded from Win8.1 retail), using the Samsung migration software.

Will a similar job work with Win10 OEM?

Thanks for any help/advice.

HenryHonda, Aug 20, 2020
Thema:

HDD to SSD, Swapping Mobo too (OEM License)

1. HDD to SSD, Swapping Mobo too (OEM License) - Similar Threads - HDD SSD Swapping

2. Windows OEM transfer from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows OEM transfer from HDD to SSD: Hi, I decided to purchase a SSD, so the problem is that I have windows activated with an OEM key in my HDD, I know that the OEM key is linked to the Motherboard, so if I install the SSD, will I have windows activated in both HDD and SSD?Thanks in advance....
  3. Windows OEM transfer from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows OEM transfer from HDD to SSD: Hi, I decided to purchase a SSD, so the problem is that I have windows activated with an OEM key in my HDD, I know that the OEM key is linked to the Motherboard, so if I install the SSD, will I have windows activated in both HDD and SSD?Thanks in advance....
  4. Swapping a HDD for an SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Swapping a HDD for an SSD: I am swapping an HDD for a Samsung SSD in an HP Pavilion Laptop, what would be the easiest way to make a clean install of windows on the SSD? I don't want to clone the drives since the HDD is extremely slow and I don't need most of the files. submitted by /u/VolphanGaming...
  5. OEM license, getting new mobo. Can I re-license?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    OEM license, getting new mobo. Can I re-license?: I have my computer with an OEM version of windows. I'm going to be upgrading my hardware - including my motherboard. I've been trying to research but have yet to find an answer to my exact questions. 1. Upon installing a new mobo, can I just purchase a new license key to...
  6. Migrating OEM Windows License to new Mobo

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Migrating OEM Windows License to new Mobo: Question is pretty self explanatory. Can I migrate a Windows 10 OEM license if I swap out my motherboard in my computer? I'm trying to upgrade my CPU and I need to upgrade my mobo to make it compatable....
  7. A tale of swapping SSD and HDD between laptops

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    A tale of swapping SSD and HDD between laptops: So, i created another question thread as it was solved previously https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-10-no-longer-bootable-on-ssd/263bd87e-0bfb-4d58-8e9e-e7d539b6e539?messageId=23142eb3-8cdf-41a6-9406-c8d50a8fdea1 The...
  8. Windows 10 pro OEM license swap from hdd to ssd?

Windows 10 pro OEM license swap from hdd to ssd?: Hello there, i have a question, i have windows 10 OEM license and i want to upgrade my laptop with SSD. Can i move my actual license from hdd to my new ssd, and if i can how can i do that? Thank you....
  9. Swap DVD for SSD on older Mobos

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Swap DVD for SSD on older Mobos: Hi folks these days who really needs a DVD burner any more --if you really do need one then cheap external USB devices are available So on Older Mobos you can use that DVD slot for a bootable SSD. 1) connect the DVD power adapter to a SATA power connector -- adapters are...
  10. Activation not working with MS digital license after Mobo swap

Activation not working with MS digital license after Mobo swap: Hello, I upgraded from Win 7 Ultimate (bought on eBay from retailer back then) and used my MS account the last year from begin with so the license was linked to it. After my mainboard died last week I had to make a move. It was around 8 years old and it's not avaible...