Windows 10: HDD to SSD switch question

Discus and support HDD to SSD switch question in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I am planning a HDD to SSD swap project on a laptop. I plan to restore a disk image of the HDD from an external storage drive to an unallocated (brand... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by TV2, Dec 15, 2020.

1. TV2
    TV2 Win User

HDD to SSD switch question

I am planning a HDD to SSD swap project on a laptop.
    I plan to restore a disk image of the HDD from an external storage drive to an unallocated (brand new) SSD.
    Do I need to do anything about alignment on the SSD, before or after?

:)

2. HDD to new SSD Question

I'm going to upgrade my laptop with a SSD along side my HDD which currently has windows 10 on it, or course. My question is, is it possible to move that version of windows 10 on the new SSD and boot it from there or do I just have to run a clean version
    from the SSD?

Rodrick Boley, Dec 15, 2020
  3. Upgraded Windows Transfer from HDD to SSD

Hi

My windows was upgraded from 8 to 10 on my laptop few years back. I was trying to get the HDD replaced with SSD. During the copy process, the technician said windows cannot be moved to SSD as it is an upgraded version from 8 to 10.

Kindly guide if there is a possibility to copy the windows to SSD ? If so, please suggest the steps.

NipunSingla, Dec 15, 2020
  4. HDD to SSD switch question

OS on new SSD, keep existing data on HDD and use as external drive

Hi,

use steps you suggested, there should be no problem.

Just replace HDD with SSD first then run installation. Do not forget to remove Windows files from HDD after the end of a process.

Igor Leyko, Dec 15, 2020
Thema:

HDD to SSD switch question

1. HDD to SSD switch question - Similar Threads - HDD SSD switch

2. How to switch from hdd to ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to switch from hdd to ssd: Hi my laptop is running slow and its windows 11 so someone adviced me to install ssd. I did so but wen I check. My laptop is still using hdd instead of ssd. I did try to install windows using USb but not working . Please help me out...
  3. How to switch from hdd to ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to switch from hdd to ssd: Hi my laptop is running slow and its windows 11 so someone adviced me to install ssd. I did so but wen I check. My laptop is still using hdd instead of ssd. I did try to install windows using USb but not working . Please help me out...
  4. switching OS from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    switching OS from HDD to SSD: I dont care about any of the data on the drives, I just want to know the fastest way to switch my windows 10 from my 1tb HDD to my 240 gb SSD https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/switching-os-from-hdd-to-ssd/b1ae418e-cf78-4019-9797-810bc531bfd6
  5. switching OS from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    switching OS from HDD to SSD: I dont care about any of the data on the drives, I just want to know the fastest way to switch my windows 10 from my 1tb HDD to my 240 gb SSD https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/switching-os-from-hdd-to-ssd/b1ae418e-cf78-4019-9797-810bc531bfd6
  6. switching OS from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Switching Win10 OS from HDD to SSD.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Switching Win10 OS from HDD to SSD.: Hello everyone, I'm super confused as to how I can switch the OS from HDD to SSD. I have a 2 TB HDD that contains my OS and I'm looking to add a 240 GB SSD to my rig and would like to have the OS on my SSD. I'm okay with a complete reinstallion of Win10 onto my SSD meaning...
  8. Switching from HDD to SSD boot drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Switching from HDD to SSD boot drive: Ok so I have a HDD and I just bought a Samsung 860 EVO 1tb SSD to make it my main drive and my boot drive. First, I tried to use a cloning software to clone from my HDD to my SSD and it did not work. It just started up with that black screen with the text "reboot and select...
  9. switch to turn HDD/SSD on/off

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    switch to turn HDD/SSD on/off: OK, with installing the new OS old issues come back to life. Here goes the question: can one have a physical switch somewhere on the PC case that can turn a single drive (HDD or SSD) on and off? I did search the internet before posting and several solutions exist, but...
  10. Question on switching from hdd to ssd without cloning

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Question on switching from hdd to ssd without cloning: My laptop hdd is about 7 years old so i'm switching to an ssd. I've seen all the info on cloning etc.. but I'm wondering if I can just do a clean install of Windows 10 on the new drive and go from there.. My original OS was Windows 7 and that's what I have discs for.. but...