Windows 10: HDD to SSD while keeping files

Discus and support HDD to SSD while keeping files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I want to switch from an HDD to an SSD. My intention is to use the bootable media to install a clean copy of windows on to the SSD, and drag and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BitterWeevil01, Feb 17, 2021.

1. HDD to SSD while keeping files

Hello, I want to switch from an HDD to an SSD. My intention is to use the bootable media to install a clean copy of windows on to the SSD, and drag and drop files from the HDD. However, I am concerned about dragging and dropping files from the HDD to the SSD, namely, whether the PC will recognise it, I know one option is to drag the files from the HDD to the SSD, format the HDD and drag files back, however, I don't really want to take this step as that would fill up my SSD almost instantly. What I want to do is put in the HDD, and directly drag files from there on to the SSD without having to format the HDD, any solutions?

:)

BitterWeevil01, Feb 17, 2021

2. OS on new SSD, keep existing data on HDD and use as external drive

Hi,

use steps you suggested, there should be no problem.

Just replace HDD with SSD first then run installation. Do not forget to remove Windows files from HDD after the end of a process.

Igor Leyko, Feb 17, 2021
  3. Ammaarqv Win User
    OS on new SSD, keep existing data on HDD and use as external drive

I want to use a new SSD to run my OS on my PC. I have a lot of data on my HDD and dont want it on the SSD but do want to keep it.

I have read that you shouldn't use an external drive that has Windows installed so how would i go about doing what I need?

I.e. get Windows onto the SSD, replace HDD with SSD, use HDD as external drive, and keep data from HDD on HDD.

Thanks!

(P.s. any guides or instructions to any steps would be great but if not then no issue)

Ammaarqv, Feb 17, 2021
  4. HDD to SSD while keeping files

Moving files from SSD to HDD

I want to transfer all the files execpt the ones required to boot up Windows from my SSD to the HDD to keep my SSD free as it is a low capacity one.

I have tried many methods posted online but couldn't do anything about it and I need the steps to be explained in such a way that even a beginner would understand and not have trouble doing it.

When I try to cut and paste the files from SSD to HDD it shows the following error message

HDD to SSD while keeping files 4b9efbf2-b265-4fb1-a769-56fb3feb05be?upload=true.png

What can I do about this?

When I right click the file there's no move option so I have to to select the file and I have to cut and paste it

maskedGhoul13, Feb 17, 2021
Thema:

HDD to SSD while keeping files

1. HDD to SSD while keeping files - Similar Threads - HDD SSD while

2. How to boot windows from SSD but keep HDD files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to boot windows from SSD but keep HDD files: So I have ordered an SSD it didn't come yet and I wanted to know if i download windows on it and make it boot from the SSD will all my files ai. games, documents, files and that stuff will it still be on the desktop/will i be able to play them if the windows is booting from...
  3. How to boot windows from SSD but keep HDD files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to boot windows from SSD but keep HDD files: So I have ordered an SSD it didn't come yet and I wanted to know if i download windows on it and make it boot from the SSD will all my files ai. games, documents, files and that stuff will it still be on the desktop/will i be able to play them if the windows is booting from...
  4. How to boot windows from SSD but keep HDD files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Window keeps thinking that it is installed on HDD not SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Window keeps thinking that it is installed on HDD not SSD: Hi everyone, I am having really weird problems with windows 10 pro 2004.My OS is installed on 500GB SSD WD750, My games is installed on 500GB ADATA SU800I turn off all of my HDD by HDDSCAN, but everytime I run any Windows utilities paint.exe, calculator Windows wakes all of...
  6. How to keep my files and games on my HDD with an SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to keep my files and games on my HDD with an SSD: I recently purchased an M.2 SSD 120GB just to be a boot drive for my Windows 10 so it's faster, but I'm not sure about how to keep my files and games on my 1TB HDD but it still has Windows 10 on it and I'm not sure on how to tackle this situation. I want to keep everything on...
  7. Moving files from SSD to HDD

Moving files from SSD to HDD: I want to transfer all the files execpt the ones required to boot up Windows from my SSD to the HDD to keep my SSD free as it is a low capacity one. I have tried many methods posted online but couldn't do anything about it and I need the steps to be explained in such a way...
  8. SSD for OS and HDD for Apps and Files

SSD for OS and HDD for Apps and Files: How do I make it that my SSD Drive C: is dedicated entirely for the OS and system apps, and my HDD Drive D: for my apps and files. I already changed the destination of these items to Drive D: by going to Settings > System > Storage > Change where new content is saved, but all...
  9. Windows 10 Installation to new SSD while keeping old HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Installation to new SSD while keeping old HDD: Installed a new SSD, so my PC now has two drives. Have been running Windows 10 on the old HDD. I want to install Windows 10 on the new SSD. Using the Windows ISO DVD I made there is no choice where to install WIndows 10. I am not sure how to remove Windows 10 from the old HDD...
  10. I have a SSD and HDD and the SSD keeps filling up ?

I have a SSD and HDD and the SSD keeps filling up ?: I just got an Acer Nitro 5 Model Number: AN515-54-51M5 . I have 1TB HDD and a 128 SSD. Some reason, even when downloading the games to my HDD my SSD still seems to fill up? I have only 2 Gigs left on the SSD.... Only had the laptop a few days, but been downloading games to...