Windows 10: HDD to SSD

Discus and support HDD to SSD in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, Im trying to upgrade from HDD to SSD, I cloned the disk to my ssd and changed the boot order in my bios and system wouldn't boot. How could I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by MohammedBadri1, Jun 24, 2020.

1. HDD to SSD

Hello, Im trying to upgrade from HDD to SSD, I cloned the disk to my ssd and changed the boot order in my bios and system wouldn't boot. How could I transfer the microsoft licence to my new ssd ?

:)

MohammedBadri1, Jun 24, 2020

2. External SSD recognized as HDD in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand your query related to External SSD showing as HDD when connected to the PC using USB 3.0 port. For further clarity on the issue, please respond to the questions below.

1. Have you tried connecting the SSD to any other PC?
    2. Are you using any converter to connect the SSD through USB 3.0 port?
    3. Are you using a RAID configuration?

I have researched on your query and found that the SSD that you are using is an internal SSD drive, in this case I would suggest you to try updating the Intel Rapid Storage drivers from the

intel website
    and see if that helps.

In addition, this issue can occur if the SSD is connected to a SATA controller that is identified as RAID (SCSI). I would suggest you to try connecting the SSD to a SATA port that uses AHCI controller such as Intel SATA controller/chipset.

Please get back to us with the detailed information to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Jun 24, 2020
  3. Kem Mon Win User
    unlock hdd

Hi Johan,

It is possible that your
    HDD was unreadable
    causing the error message to appear. We recommend that you perform these troubleshooting steps and check if there are any changes:

• Shutdown
      your
      PC.

• Unhooked
      the
      HDD
      and
      turn on
      your
      PC.

• Reconnect
      your
      HDD
      and
      restart
      your
      PC.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you contact your
    laptop/computer's manufacturer
    for further assistance.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Jun 24, 2020
  4. HDD to SSD

Windows 10 can not optimize HDD, says it is a SSD Help

Hi Steve,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Appreciate your efforts to work on this issue.

• Does the BIOS recognizes the disk as HDD or SSD?

Suggest you to set the Optimize Drives Service to start automatically from the services window to check if that helps.

1. Open the run window, type ‘services.msc’ and press Enter.
    2. Search for Optimize Drives Service and select the start-up type as automatic. Also ensure to start the service.

If you have set SATA controller to AHCI mode for Solid State Drive, in Device Manager it would show as SATA hard disk.

Follow these steps:

1. Click start, type “Defragment” and click “Defragment and Optimize your drives”.
    2. On the “Defragment and Optimize your drives” window. Make sure that your SSD is categorized as an SSD.
    3. If it’s not, then you can set it as a SSD on your bios. This way, you don’t have to exclude your SSD or disable any scheduled defragmentation.
    Disclaimer: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring
    of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Jun 24, 2020
Thema:

HDD to SSD

1. HDD to SSD - Similar Threads - HDD SSD

2. SSD & HDD installed drives not visible

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD & HDD installed drives not visible: Hi All,SSD & HDD installed drives not visible after checked windows update and re-plugged wifi usb. and my microsoftware is Windows Feature Experience Pack. please suggest me how to get SSD & HDD back. and after clicked on shutdown it is taking more than 2 to 3min to getting...
  3. SSD & HDD installed drives not visible

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD & HDD installed drives not visible: Hi All,SSD & HDD installed drives not visible after checked windows update and re-plugged wifi usb. and my microsoftware is Windows Feature Experience Pack. please suggest me how to get SSD & HDD back. and after clicked on shutdown it is taking more than 2 to 3min to getting...
  4. SSD & HDD installed drives not visible

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Transfering activation from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfering activation from HDD to SSD: Hi, I am thinking about installing Windows 10 on an new SSD, but the only problem is, my activated copy of Windows 11 Pro is on my HDD. Is there a way that I can transfer my activation by unlinking my Microsoft account from that one device with the HDD in, put the SSD into...
  6. Transfering activation from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfering activation from HDD to SSD: Hi, I am thinking about installing Windows 10 on an new SSD, but the only problem is, my activated copy of Windows 11 Pro is on my HDD. Is there a way that I can transfer my activation by unlinking my Microsoft account from that one device with the HDD in, put the SSD into...
  7. Transfering activation from HDD to SSD

8. Windows 11 clean install from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 clean install from HDD to SSD: I'm trying to completely wipe everything off my computer and reinstall Windows 11 from scratch. I built my computer around two years ago and installed the Windows 11 OS onto a 2TB HDD but now have a 2TB SSD and want to install it there and swap out the 2TB HDD for an 8TB HDD....
  9. Windows 11 clean install from HDD to SSD

Windows 11 clean install from HDD to SSD: I'm trying to completely wipe everything off my computer and reinstall Windows 11 from scratch. I built my computer around two years ago and installed the Windows 11 OS onto a 2TB HDD but now have a 2TB SSD and want to install it there and swap out the 2TB HDD for an 8TB HDD....
  10. What to do with the old Windows file in HDD after migrating to SSD?

What to do with the old Windows file in HDD after migrating to SSD?: I installed a new nVME m.2 SSD in my HP laptop and I then migrated the Windows data from HDD to SSD. I also changed the boot order from HDD to SSD. But now there exists a 200 GB Windows file in my HDD which is the old Windows boot file.Can anyone tell me If I can delete this...