Windows 10: HDD won't clone. How can I move the data to a new SSD?

Discus and support HDD won't clone. How can I move the data to a new SSD? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have a Windows 10 installation, with LOTS of apps and documents saved onto a 750GB hard drive in an Asus laptop. There is well over 400GB free on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Calab, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Calab Win User

HDD won't clone. How can I move the data to a new SSD?

I have a Windows 10 installation, with LOTS of apps and documents saved onto a 750GB hard drive in an Asus laptop. There is well over 400GB free on the drive, including an empty 280GB partition. I purchased a Seagate Barracuda 120 500GB SSD to transfer the system from the 750GB to the 500GB SSD.

I have tried several times to clone this HDD to the SSD but it never works. I've tried using CloneZilla, EaseUS Todo Backup, Macrium and Seagate DiscWizard.

- CloneZilla just doesn't try because the target disk is smaller than the source drive.
    - Macrium runs for a while, then stops around 50% with an error 9 and says something about a Semaphore timeout.
    - EaseUs ToDo Backup runs for a while and around 40% the % stops incrementing. I haven't received any kind of failure message.
    - I don't recall what Seagates software did, but it did not work.

Currently I am trying to make a backup image of the source drive with EaseUS and it's sitting at 36% and the access light on the drive is still blinking. It's been at 36% for over an hour how.

At the moment, the source and target drives are installed in USB 3 enclosures, connected to USB ports on a Window 10 Pro computer. Build 19042.746 version 20H2.

I have run a CHKDSK M: /r /f on the source disk and there were errors found, and they should have been fixed.

I need to get this system transferred to the SSD. If I can't clone the drive, how else can I copy the working system from the HDD to the SSD?

Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated.

:)

Calab, Jan 15, 2021

2. Clone HDD to a SSD

I'm planing to upgrade my new laptop HDD to SSD while using my HDD as a storage media on my laptop. My laptop came with windows 10 Home OEM. If I cloned the HDD will the windows be activated after I
    cloned or will it be deactivated?? And what happend to other activated softwares like MS Office and Antivirus Softwares???

Thank you for your support.

Kasun Anuradha, Jan 15, 2021
  3. Garrisonq Win User
    Cloning HDD to SSD KEEPS FAILING

I have a Samsung SSD, so I am using the Samsung data migration application.

Garrisonq, Jan 15, 2021
  4. HDD won't clone. How can I move the data to a new SSD?

Andre Da Costa, Jan 15, 2021
Thema:

HDD won't clone. How can I move the data to a new SSD?

1. HDD won't clone. How can I move the data to a new SSD? - Similar Threads - HDD won't clone

2. Can I clone data from a SSD to a new SSD without the OS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can I clone data from a SSD to a new SSD without the OS: I am planning to purchase a new computer which comes with Win 11. My old computer has Win 10 and obviously I do not want to transfer the OS from that computer to the new one. Can I clone/transfer the non-OS files in a batch to the new computer without bringing Win 10 or do I...
  3. Can I clone data from a SSD to a new SSD without the OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I clone data from a SSD to a new SSD without the OS: I am planning to purchase a new computer which comes with Win 11. My old computer has Win 10 and obviously I do not want to transfer the OS from that computer to the new one. Can I clone/transfer the non-OS files in a batch to the new computer without bringing Win 10 or do I...
  4. Can I clone data from a SSD to a new SSD without the OS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can i clone a hdd too ssd with keeping the old ssd data and i mean only move os to ssd or idk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can i clone a hdd too ssd with keeping the old ssd data and i mean only move os to ssd or idk: Can i clone a hdd too ssd with keeping the ssd data if its cloned so both hdd and ssd partition data is here pls https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-clone-a-hdd-too-ssd-with-keeping-the-old-ssd/baa38e6c-0914-4bfd-9eaa-5f779873822c
  6. Clone HDD, with OS and data, to SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clone HDD, with OS and data, to SSD: I'm needed of your help, I recently got an SSD to upgrade my Lenovo Yoga 300 with Windows 10 Home Single Lamguage, I cleaned and format the SSD and used Macrium to clone, but it showed me a window saying that I couldn't acces that folder, I changed the security and the...
  7. HDD to SSD clone.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDD to SSD clone.: Want to transfer my whole operating system along with the data from a HDD to a SSD but don't know how to do it. Help needed. SSD not yet bought so suggestion on what company to buy from are welcome. Currently using western digital wd10spzx-60z10t0 1TB. Let me know if more...
  8. Move data from ssd to hdd?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Move data from ssd to hdd?: I built my pc yesterday, installed everything and my 250gb ssd is already full. How can I move my files from the ssd to the hdd? Thanks a lot! Daten von ssd auf hdd verschieben?
  9. How to clone hdd to ssd

How to clone hdd to ssd: please tell me how to change my laptop harddisk hdd to sdd without any data loss. through the cloning. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-clone-hdd-to-ssd/857c7761-b81d-491e-b669-9679f8b69e0c
  10. Clone HDD to SSD

Clone HDD to SSD: Most regulars here recommend and use Macrium Reflect Free which will work on ANY drive. 93058