Windows 10: HDD won't go to sleep

Discus and support HDD won't go to sleep in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have recently upgraded from Win 8.1 Pro x64 to Win 10 Pro x64 and I am experiencing a weird problem. My HDD setup is as follows: Samsung EVO 250GB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by sddracula, Jan 2, 2016.

1. sddracula Win User

HDD won't go to sleep

I have recently upgraded from Win 8.1 Pro x64 to Win 10 Pro x64 and I am experiencing a weird problem.
    My HDD setup is as follows:
    Samsung EVO 250GB M2 SSD - OS and apps
    Crucial MX100 512GB SATA SSD - Games
    Seagate ST2000 2TB SATA HDD - Media

After configuring Windows 10 to sleep the HDD (the seagate) after 5 mins of inactivity I noticed that it never actually does it, the HDD never goes to sleep.
    That HDD only has media on it and no apps so there should be nothing accessing it.

How can I found out what is preventing the HDD from going to sleep?

:)

sddracula, Jan 2, 2016
  2. Hannesx Win User

HDD is not going in to sleep mode.

Well then.........Solved it myself .......or it solved....itself... Luckily, because not exactly too much help came from this place. Noticed it today, maybe it was realated to new graphics driver, program Hddscan, recent update from Microsoft or some
    settings in advanced power management that didn't seem to be conneced to hdd sleeping. Hdd now sleeps after ten minutes even it's set to three minutes.

Hannesx, Jan 2, 2016
  3. Pavan_N Win User
    HDD is not going in to sleep mode.

Hi,

You may also install all the pending updates and check if it helps.

Updates are additions to software that can help prevent or fix problems, improve how your computer works, or enhance your computing experience.

Run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter and check.

Hardware and Devices troubleshooter checks for common problems and makes sure that any new device or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly.

• Right click on the start menu and select control panel.
    • In the category select small icons.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Click on Hardware and Devices.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.
    Thank you.

Pavan_N, Jan 2, 2016
Thema:

HDD won't go to sleep

1. HDD won't go to sleep - Similar Threads - HDD won't sleep

2. Monitor won't going to sleep or randomly going to sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Monitor won't going to sleep or randomly going to sleep: Hello,same question as ; https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/displayport-monitor-never-goes-to-sleep/a992a91a-9aa8-4e4b-a65e-b906200649eaThe original answer by microsoft team is not usefull only 1 positive vote and 53 other people has the same problem so...
  3. Monitor won't going to sleep or randomly going to sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor won't going to sleep or randomly going to sleep: Hello,same question as ; https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/displayport-monitor-never-goes-to-sleep/a992a91a-9aa8-4e4b-a65e-b906200649eaThe original answer by microsoft team is not usefull only 1 positive vote and 53 other people has the same problem so...
  4. Monitor won't going to sleep or randomly going to sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Won't go to sleep?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Won't go to sleep?: Recently I've been noticing my PC won't sleep after 1 hour while I am afk? I have the settings on for 1 hour inactive to then go asleep till I return but It's been going off and on like this for a bit now. I was away for 2 hours, and see my PC still on? Is it just windows...
  6. Laptop won't go to sleep

Laptop won't go to sleep: Whenever I close the lid or manually tell my laptop to go to sleep the screen turns off but the computer is still running. The only way to turn it off is to hard press the power button and force it to shut down. If I start my pc in safe mode the same problem appears. Here...
  7. PC won't go to sleep

PC won't go to sleep: so my pc won't go to sleep, every time i try a few seconds later it would turn it self on. At first i though if might be my speakers so i unplugged them but after a 10-20 mins it would still turn it self on and i don't know what to do...
  8. Defender won't let an external HDD go to sleep

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Defender won't let an external HDD go to sleep: Hello, Well, the topic title says it all. I recently purchased a Western Digital My Book 8TB and no matter what I couldn't get it to stand by/sleep. I tried everything: messing around with USB power options, indexing, installing dedicated WD software that has a sleep timer -...
  9. Windows Defender won't let external USB HDD go to sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Defender won't let external USB HDD go to sleep: Hello, Well, the topic title says it all. I recently purchased a Western Digital My Book 8TB and no matter what I couldn't get it to stand by/sleep. I tried everything: messing around with USB power options, indexing, installing dedicated WD software that has a sleep timer -...
  10. Windows Defender won't let external USB HDD go to sleep

Windows Defender won't let external USB HDD go to sleep: Hello, Well, the topic title says it all. I recently purchased a Western Digital My Book 8TB and no matter what I couldn't get it to stand by/sleep. I tried everything: messing around with USB power options, indexing, installing dedicated WD software that has a sleep timer...