Windows 10: HDD1 is set in BIOS for booting only but the operating system loads from SSD which is not...

Discus and support HDD1 is set in BIOS for booting only but the operating system loads from SSD which is not... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have in my system 3 storage devices: 1 x SSD port 0, 1 x HDD1 port 1, 1 x HDD2 port 2. All disks were partitioned before installing Windows 10 1909.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Catal Solom, Mar 11, 2020.

1. HDD1 is set in BIOS for booting only but the operating system loads from SSD which is not...

I have in my system 3 storage devices: 1 x SSD port 0, 1 x HDD1 port 1, 1 x HDD2 port 2. All disks were partitioned before installing Windows 10 1909. Initially in the system were the HDD's, one of them having installed Windows 10. A month ago I added the SSD SATA and I installed on it Windows 10. After installing W10 on the SSD at every boot of the system I got the menu which asked me to choose between booting from SSD or HDD1. I got rid off it deleting in System Configuration msconfig Boot section the HDD drive. It doesn't ask anything now.

Note: Because the partitions were already allocated as space before installing Windows there are no System Reserved Partitions created. This is a normal behavior, only when Windows 10 allocates the space in installation process we get created a new partition around 580 MB.

Now here is the issue I found. Having two drives with Windows 10 installed I wanted to check if I can boot the sytem from HDD1 as before. I went into BIOS and I set booting only from HDD1 then restarted the system. System restarts but loads the operating system stored on the SSD not from the HDD1. Investigating the issue I found the SSD has no /Boot, /Recovery, bootmgr, BOOTNXT and BOOTSECT.BAK into the root, but the HDD1 has. Bellow there is a comparison between the devices SSD on the left.

How is it possible to set as boot device in BIOS the HDD1 which has all boot files but loading the operating system from the SSD which hasn't the boot files?

For sure if I unplug the HDD1 the system won't boot into Windows. Probably the SSD MBR points to HDD1 file system. In order to fix this probably I should fix the MBR's for both drives. I can do that but I need some advised opinions.

With this setup my Samsung 860 EVO 1TB did not freeze daily as usual in a time range of 5 - 60 minute. It is still alive for more than 2 days running. Maybe it is just a coincidence. Who knows ...

HDD1 is set in BIOS for booting only but the operating system loads from SSD which is not... 0a3b0b9e-f30b-4dc5-ba21-57b4921e9f5d?upload=true.jpg

:)

Catal Solom, Mar 11, 2020

2. Error Loading operating system

I'm getting the BIOS System Configuration screen and at the very end

searching for Boot Record from IDE-0..OK
    Error Loading operating system

What can I do to make it boot?

doradeno2003, Mar 11, 2020
  3. error loading operating system.

Hi Ibrahim,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to check if you are able to boot the computer into Safe Mode environment.

To use a Safe Boot option, follow these steps:

• Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple operating systems, you can press the F8 key when the Boot Menu appears.

• Select an option to “Safe mode with networking” using the arrow keys on the keyboard when the Windows Advanced Options menu
      appears, and then press ENTER.
    Also, try updating your BIOS drivers and check.

Hope it helps. Do let us know if your issue is resolved. For any further query, feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Mar 11, 2020
  4. HairyFool Win User

HDD1 is set in BIOS for booting only but the operating system loads from SSD which is not...

Windows 10 SSD Boot and Sleep faliure

Windows cannot stop the BIOS recognising the SSD. If at any time you can go into the BIOS and the SSD is not listed then you have an (intermittent) hardware fault. It does not matter what the precursor steps are if the hardware was OK it must be listed

Step 6 is categorical, you have a hardware fault. BIOS device recognition is always before drivers load so they cannot affect the process

HairyFool, Mar 11, 2020
Thema:

HDD1 is set in BIOS for booting only but the operating system loads from SSD which is not...

1. HDD1 is set in BIOS for booting only but the operating system loads from SSD which is not... - Similar Threads - HDD1 set BIOS

2. unable to format an ssd from bios or windows operating system failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unable to format an ssd from bios or windows operating system failure: few days ago we had a power outage and after that a bsod screen appeared, and still appears so i cant work with my os windows 11 for more than 2 minutes and any change i do eg delete an aplication or document does not takes any effect when the pc restarts. I ve been trying to...
  3. unable to format an ssd from bios or windows operating system failure

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unable to format an ssd from bios or windows operating system failure: few days ago we had a power outage and after that a bsod screen appeared, and still appears so i cant work with my os windows 11 for more than 2 minutes and any change i do eg delete an aplication or document does not takes any effect when the pc restarts. I ve been trying to...
  4. No option to boot from SSD in BIOS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No option to boot from SSD in BIOS: Hi.Recently I installed a 128GB SSD in my HP Pavillion gaming 15 ec009ax which earlier only had 1TB HDD installed. I migrated the Windows from HDD to SSD using the mini tool partition wizard but I can not set the SSD as the boot device in the BIOS. It only shows the HDD as...
  5. Help with BIOS settings, need to boot from SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help with BIOS settings, need to boot from SSD: Hi!The drives on my machine an older Alienware are:internal SSD, the only bootable drive Cinternal HD Dbarely used CDR for legacy stuff Ea pair of external drives no bootable partitions, various letters from F to TFor some reason, since upgrading to Windows 11 my machine is...
  6. Help with BIOS settings, need to boot from SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help with BIOS settings, need to boot from SSD: Hi!The drives on my machine an older Alienware are:internal SSD, the only bootable drive Cinternal HD Dbarely used CDR for legacy stuff Ea pair of external drives no bootable partitions, various letters from F to TFor some reason, since upgrading to Windows 11 my machine is...
  7. Loading Operating System

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Loading Operating System: I am trying to install windows 10 off a USB. When I change the boot order to reflect the USB, I get stuck permanently at "Loading Operating System". I created this boot media just earlier today, from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 I...
  8. Operating system from SSD deletion.?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Operating system from SSD deletion.?: Good evening, my hooligans, Yesterday I finally retired my HDD and got a Crucial MX500 for the operating system and a Crucial P1 NVME for everything else, now I cloned my HDD on the P1 and installed a new Windows on the MX500, how can I delete my old Windows from the P1...
  9. Already installed Windows 10 on SSD and 100% operative, set up BIOS to boot from this disk...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Already installed Windows 10 on SSD and 100% operative, set up BIOS to boot from this disk...: Please I need your help. Prior to any change I've made, I have an SSD Sandisk Ultra II with a Windows 10 100% operative. I've added a new HDD as a secondary and reordered boot priority. I am trying to boot first from this SSD in a Strix Z270H motherboard, however it keeps...
  10. Windows unable to boot/load the operating system

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows unable to boot/load the operating system: I have a Dell computer which i have a 500gb harddisk where i have installed my operating system in GPT partition scheme so its a uefi system. So recently i transfered my harddisk to a hp computer to use it as an external storage to transfer some files but it wont let...