Windows 10: HDDs keep spinning up

Discus and support HDDs keep spinning up in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So for a long time I had 2 SSDs and 3 HDDs with my Power Plan set to spin down disks after 20 min. Everything worked fine, the disks would remain spun... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/HashtonKutcher, Jan 2, 2021.

1. HDDs keep spinning up

So for a long time I had 2 SSDs and 3 HDDs with my Power Plan set to spin down disks after 20 min. Everything worked fine, the disks would remain spun down when not in use.

The other day I added a 4th HDD(don't know for sure if this is even related), and now all 4 disks are constantly spinning up for seemingly no reason. It's quite annoying because my system is very quiet and the disks spinning makes the system drastically louder, plus I'm worried my disks will wear out sooner. I access the drives maybe a few times a day and I don't want them spinning all the time. It seems like they spin up, after 20 min they spin down, and ~5 min later back up again.

I've checked resource monitor and nothing seems to be touching the disks in background, I don't have a page file there, etc. What the hell is going on? This never happened before. The disks are just sitting with 0% usage, but they insist on spinning.

And it's definitely all 4 of them too. I downloaded a utility to manually spin down drives and I can hear each drive spinning down one by one. Any ideas? Is this normal behavior?

submitted by /u/HashtonKutcher
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/HashtonKutcher, Jan 2, 2021
  2. Kem Mon Win User

unlock hdd

Hi Johan,

It is possible that your
    HDD was unreadable
    causing the error message to appear. We recommend that you perform these troubleshooting steps and check if there are any changes:

• Shutdown
      your
      PC.

• Unhooked
      the
      HDD
      and
      turn on
      your
      PC.

• Reconnect
      your
      HDD
      and
      restart
      your
      PC.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you contact your
    laptop/computer's manufacturer
    for further assistance.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Jan 2, 2021
  3. Johankaan Win User
    unlock hdd

Johankaan, Jan 2, 2021
  4. HDDs keep spinning up

HDD Corrupt ?

Hi,

There are many possible reasons this issue is happening. We'd like to ask few questions below:

• What is the brand name of you Hard Disk Drive?
    • How old is the HDD?
    Since you already tried multiple troubleshooting steps, we suggest visiting the manufacturer's website. Find and download a hard drive diagnostic software to help resolve the issue.

Let us know how it goes.

Martin Bar, Jan 2, 2021
Thema:

HDDs keep spinning up

1. HDDs keep spinning up - Similar Threads - HDDs keep spinning

2. dvd drive keeps spinning up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    dvd drive keeps spinning up: Whenever i open file explorer to view files or quick access the DVD drive spins up and i need to keep the DVD inserted.I have tried remove device but device is reinstalled and problem begins again....
  3. dvd drive keeps spinning up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    dvd drive keeps spinning up: Whenever i open file explorer to view files or quick access the DVD drive spins up and i need to keep the DVD inserted.I have tried remove device but device is reinstalled and problem begins again....
  4. dvd drive keeps spinning up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Prevent Windows 10 from ramdomly spinning up HDDs

Prevent Windows 10 from ramdomly spinning up HDDs: Hello,I'm using the a powerplan which should tell Windows 10 to spin down HDDs after a few minutes 1-5 of inactivity.First of all, this doesn't seem to work as intended. I looked around in many forums without having any success on getting this working properly.If somebody...
  6. Prevent Windows 10 from ramdomly spinning up hdds

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Prevent Windows 10 from ramdomly spinning up hdds: Hello,I'm using the a powerplan which should tell Windows 10 to spin down HDDs after a few minutes 1-5 of inactivity.First of all, this doesn't seem to work as intended. I looked around in many forums without having any success on getting this working properly.If somebody...
  7. HDDs

HDDs: dose windows 10 changes the HDD from MBR to GBT or vise versa automatically, if so is it wipe it out or the data still there? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdds/be966c48-b80c-4b05-b8d0-56fedab7e10e
  8. Update keeps spinning

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update keeps spinning: The update on my Dell pc started yesterday around 4 pm. It reached 84% by 6:30 pm. It is now 9:10 am and it is still spinning at 84%. What should I do? Do I shut it down and start over or just let it continue to spin?...
  9. HDDs in RAID have started spinning down then back up again at restart and shutdown.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    HDDs in RAID have started spinning down then back up again at restart and shutdown.: Hi, I have a head scratcher of an issue. I have scoured the internet but cannot find a mention of anyone else with the issue or fixes. After doing a clean installing of Windows 10 Home 2004, my hardware Raid setup has demonstrated a new and worrying behaviour vs 1909 I was...
  10. HDDs not spinning down when idle

HDDs not spinning down when idle: I have a recently built computer. This system has six drives, five of which are HDDs. The system drive is an SSD. Two of the HDDs are primary drives: one is for programs (mainly games) and the other is for media (videos, pictures, documents). The remaining three drives are...