Windows 10: HDDs not spinning down when idle

Discus and support HDDs not spinning down when idle in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a recently built computer. This system has six drives, five of which are HDDs. The system drive is an SSD. Two of the HDDs are primary drives:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by imagineman, Sep 8, 2016.

1. HDDs not spinning down when idle

I have a recently built computer. This system has six drives, five of which are HDDs. The system drive is an SSD. Two of the HDDs are primary drives: one is for programs (mainly games) and the other is for media (videos, pictures, documents). The remaining three drives are backups, one for each drive. The issue is those remaining three drives don't spin down, even though they should be idle 23 hours of the day. Nothing should be accessing those drives.

The only reason this is an issue is that with five HDDs constantly spinning, my computer is fairly loud. I built it to be silent, and without them spinning it virtually is, with the exception of the PSU fan which produces little noise. I'm considering buying external enclosures for all of them, but I'd like to avoid this. My previous system which was running Windows 7 had no problem spinning down all idle HDDs. Any suggestions?

:)

imagineman, Sep 8, 2016

2. How do you force or allow a drive (not C: or D: ) to spin down when not in use.

I have a couple of large internal hard disks that are used exclusively for backups. These backups are done by Acronis on a schedule that may cause a backup daily or weekly. In either case, once the backup is done there is no other use for the drives and
    they could/should spin down. How can I configure the drives to spin down after XX min. of idle time yet spin up on demand? Also, how can I detect if the HDD is spinning?

ChesterCopeland, Sep 8, 2016
  3. Tibbus Win User
    Windows freeze 1-2 secs because of the hdd

Hi,

I have 2 ssd(256GB) and 1 hdd(1TB), for all the apps and Windows I use the ssds, the hdd I use it only for some storage.

I have an issue where Windows constantly is reading data from the hdd even I don't have any apps on it, my hdd is going in idle very fast so when Windows is trying to read the data it freezes for 1-2 secs to spin the hdd (I can hear the spin when it tries,
    zuuuuuum and it takes 1-2 secs to recover). (even if I use only the browser for example)

I had this issue before last year but forgot how I solve it, the issue appeared again before build 15007.

(from power settings --> hdd sleep is set to 0)

Tibbus, Sep 8, 2016
Thema:

HDDs not spinning down when idle

1. HDDs not spinning down when idle - Similar Threads - HDDs spinning down

2. Laptop's fans spin up when idle

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop's fans spin up when idle: Why do my laptop's fans spin up after screen turns off when it goes idle? When woken up, it stabilizes in a few minutes and is silent again as if some service stopped and it cooled down.This was happening on all my windows laptops in the past, it's not exclusive to my latest...
  3. Laptop's fans spin up when idle

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop's fans spin up when idle: Why do my laptop's fans spin up after screen turns off when it goes idle? When woken up, it stabilizes in a few minutes and is silent again as if some service stopped and it cooled down.This was happening on all my windows laptops in the past, it's not exclusive to my latest...
  4. Laptop's fans spin up when idle

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Prevent Windows 10 from ramdomly spinning up hdds

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Prevent Windows 10 from ramdomly spinning up hdds: Hello,I'm using the a powerplan which should tell Windows 10 to spin down HDDs after a few minutes 1-5 of inactivity.First of all, this doesn't seem to work as intended. I looked around in many forums without having any success on getting this working properly.If somebody...
  6. HDDs keep spinning up

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDDs keep spinning up: So for a long time I had 2 SSDs and 3 HDDs with my Power Plan set to spin down disks after 20 min. Everything worked fine, the disks would remain spun down when not in use. The other day I added a 4th HDD(don't know for sure if this is even related), and now all 4 disks are...
  7. Win 10 shuts down when Idle

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win 10 shuts down when Idle: Win 10 Home shuts down when Idle I see people have been having this same issue for years without any successful solution. I too have tried all the tips & tricks without success. This issue is fairly new for my PC. Never had this happen until a few months ago. It is very...
  8. HDDs in RAID have started spinning down then back up again at restart and shutdown.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    HDDs in RAID have started spinning down then back up again at restart and shutdown.: Hi, I have a head scratcher of an issue. I have scoured the internet but cannot find a mention of anyone else with the issue or fixes. After doing a clean installing of Windows 10 Home 2004, my hardware Raid setup has demonstrated a new and worrying behaviour vs 1909 I was...
  9. Computer shuts down when idle

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer shuts down when idle: Hi. Right after installing yesterday’s Windows Updates, my computer started shutting down after being idle (or as soon as the screensaver came on). I’ve run Avast! and Maleware Bytes — both are clear, and I’ve tried clearing my browsers’ cache. Nothing seems to work....
  10. Computer shuts down when idle?

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer shuts down when idle?: have made sure that all the settings i can find in power options for shutting the PC down when idle are either set to never or disabled but must have missed something somewhere? after 20 minutes or so the PC shuts itself off..... any ideas? I originally suspected a non...