Windows 10: HDMI 2.0 causes high GPU usage on dwm.exe

Discus and support HDMI 2.0 causes high GPU usage on dwm.exe in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm having a rather weird issue. When I connect my PC to my HDTV's HDMI 2.0 port, I see high GPU usage from the process Desktop Window Manager... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/chrismacca24, Mar 1, 2021.

1. HDMI 2.0 causes high GPU usage on dwm.exe

I'm having a rather weird issue. When I connect my PC to my HDTV's HDMI 2.0 port, I see high GPU usage from the process Desktop Window Manager (dwm.exe) any where from 10% to 30%, and an additional 100mb's of GPU memory being used. This happens within minutes after signing into my account.

I'd like to be able to enable HDR as my TV supports HDR10, which requires my HDMI 2.0 port to be used, but am unable to with whatever is causing this issue. When I plug my PC into the HDMI 1.0 port, this issue disappears.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (20H2, Build: 19042.844)
    Intel Core i7 2600, Nvidia GTX 1070

Any help would be appreciated!!

submitted by /u/chrismacca24
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/chrismacca24, Mar 1, 2021

2. Desktop Window Manager High GPU Usage in Windows 10

Hey everyone,

i got the same Problem since two days. My PC configuration is a Gigabyte 2070 Super 8GB and a Ryzen 7 3700X and ive got every update from Windows and Geforce experience. I am wondering why Windows doesnt said anything to this Problem after seeing this thread
    being 20 Pages Long. Does anybody tried These Solutions
    https://appuals.com/fix-desktop-window-manager-high-cpu-usage-dwm-exe/
    ?

First i thought the cause is Google Chrome because it made high gpu and Volt usage too but after an uninstall the Problem was still there.

Is there any Suggestion how to solve the Problem. If this link is working please tell me.

Supergamerbro28, Mar 1, 2021
  3. LiorG Win User
    Desktop Window Manager High GPU Usage in Windows 10

Im having same issue whem im moving my cursor or any window it can use up to 35% of gpu ( dwm and csrss) even without gpu installed and the cpu usage goes up to 2%

But when im putting at nvidia 3d dwm to prefare maximum performance and restart my pc the desktop usage goes to 6% maximum but still in games that i had tested yet in the games csgo and apex legends the usage is about 5% when game running for both games
    , cod mw was using 99% cpu , and 36% dwm with 0% game usage (so this game could be the issue of so high usage) will test later pubg and fortnite

For some reason when im closing tab gpu usage is spiking to 100% for milisec

Help microsoft!!! And other companies

When doing nothing all is at 0.1%

Without gpu 0-3d but when moving it has gpu 0 3d agian

LiorG, Mar 1, 2021
  4. dalchina Win User

HDMI 2.0 causes high GPU usage on dwm.exe

csrss and dwm processes High GPU Usage causing stutterings

High GPU usage - csrss.exe - Resolved Malware Removal Logs - Malwarebytes Forums
    This example backs up what @Faith said above. So do do that first.

If clean:
    Please have a look at your Update History. Is there anything there- including drivers at the bottom- that was updated just before this started happening?

Have you made any changes- installed anything- that might be responsible?

Do you have any System Restore points created before this started happening?
    Or disk images? (I constantly urge users to use this routinely, as do many here - e.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + external storage for disk image sets)

Desktop Window Manager - Microsoft Community

- a long thread- see if there's anything helpful there.

Sudden high GPU usage by client server runtime process makes huge fps - Microsoft Community
    - try a clean boot. Is there any change?

note forum rules say 'useless one liners' and thread bumping are not allowed. I can understand your enthusiasm to resolve this.

dalchina, Mar 1, 2021
Thema:

HDMI 2.0 causes high GPU usage on dwm.exe

1. HDMI 2.0 causes high GPU usage on dwm.exe - Similar Threads - HDMI causes high

2. DWM extreme GPU usage.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    DWM extreme GPU usage.: For example when I move a chrome tab on my desktop the DWM will take up literally 40-80% of my gpu. It sometimes even closes out all tabs and sometimes crashes my whole computer and blue screens me. It’s not malware, drivers, or my graphics card. I’ve tried with different...
  3. DWM extreme GPU usage.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DWM extreme GPU usage.: For example when I move a chrome tab on my desktop the DWM will take up literally 40-80% of my gpu. It sometimes even closes out all tabs and sometimes crashes my whole computer and blue screens me. It’s not malware, drivers, or my graphics card. I’ve tried with different...
  4. DWM extreme GPU usage.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Secondary monitor is causing DWM GPU usage spike

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Secondary monitor is causing DWM GPU usage spike: Recently after performing a windows update on my laptop "Custom" Origin PC the DWM GPU usage spiked to near 100% all the time. Did some research and checked for malware and those other things but nothing worked. I then accidentally unplugged my second monitor ACER SB220Q and...
  6. Secondary monitor is causing DWM GPU usage spike

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Secondary monitor is causing DWM GPU usage spike: Recently after performing a windows update on my laptop "Custom" Origin PC the DWM GPU usage spiked to near 100% all the time. Did some research and checked for malware and those other things but nothing worked. I then accidentally unplugged my second monitor ACER SB220Q and...
  7. Secondary monitor is causing DWM GPU usage spike

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. DWM high memory usage

DWM high memory usage: So recently i've noticed that Desktop Window Manager has been using A LOT of memory 5.3gb and i have no idea how to fix it. Processor intel i5-9600k 3.70ghz ram-16gb OS build- 19042.804 Nvidia rtx2070...
  9. GPU at 0% usage

GPU at 0% usage: Hi, I am having a problem. My GPU is always a 0%. I am using a windows 10 hp computer with a video card I installed. My display from the video card works normal but it's not being utilized when I play video games. When I play games, my cpu jumps to about 90 and my gpu stays...
  10. csrss and dwm processes High GPU Usage causing stutterings

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    csrss and dwm processes High GPU Usage causing stutterings: Today a problem started randomly. My desktop is stuttering, Youtube, anything. But when i disable AMD Radeon display on Device Manager, it stopps the stuttering, i already tried to reinstall graphic drivers, but any version i install, keeps the stutterings. So the only option...