Windows 10: HDMI Forum releases version 2.1 of HDMI specification

Discus and support HDMI Forum releases version 2.1 of HDMI specification in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; SAN JOSE, California – November 28, 2017 - HDMI Forum, Inc. today announced the release of Version 2.1 of the HDMI® Specification which is now... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

HDMI Forum releases version 2.1 of HDMI specification

Sources:

Brink, Nov 27, 2017
  2. Cliff S New Member

My 2¢'s on the subject:

Why???
    For television, what satellite, or cable company can transmit that bandwidth?
    Not to mention ISP's, even fibre optics has it's limits(more than most people think).

Uncompressed? How large storage will a product like a movie need?
    You can forget Blu Ray or DVD, you'll need an ssd..
    What about how much RAM you'll need to prevent buffering?

For PC's Windows can't even get 4K right, and they're talking about 8K & 10K*really
    Again how long will the buffering be, when streaming*sarc
    And how about downloading something that's in 10K?*Shock*Eek

This is just ridiculous*Redcarded

:)

Cliff S, Nov 29, 2017
  3. HDR won't enable!

Unfortunately they don't make DP 1.4 to HDMI yet, you might have to wait until the next HDMI standard is released, 2.1 iirc.

Why can't you use an HDMI cable from your GPU to your TV? That's what I do and HDR works flawlessly, at least it did until today when the issue I described above started happening.

SebbyWells, Nov 29, 2017
  4. HDMI Forum releases version 2.1 of HDMI specification

Remote camera

Hi,

The HDMI In capability of the alienware method was only to route the HDMI directly to the laptop's panel.

There is a specific "webcam protocol" that hardware adheres to to be used as a webcam. HDMI is definitely not part of it. You need a to capture the HDMI input first, the output a compressed stream as an input device.

Kind Regards:

Engr. Malik Yasir

MALIK YASIRNAWAZ, Nov 29, 2017
  5. Plankton Win User
    Hey cliff......if you look back at all the Resolution upgrades over the past decades......you pose the exact same questions now as some did 10, 20 and even 30 years ago. That is until hardware was produced for it at an affordable consumer level. Just look back at the digital TV debacle and what it meant for the average TV household. We all had to wait until all the TV, cable, satellite providers all got on board (updated their hardware). Which took a long time. Now we just take it for granted. Then the release of HD TV and the cost of them.

It will all catch up sooner or later.....in the meantime we do what we always do....wait!

Plankton, Nov 29, 2017
  6. Cliff S New Member
    For TV never, you need to compress, and will always have artifacts, the higher the resolution.
    The only people that will really be able to take advantage of this truly, are photographers, graphics designers, and tech designers, that can use uncompressed RAW files, to better manipulate what they need.

Also scientist, will be able to use it for better imaging on the Nano scale(and smaller), but don't expect to see your favorite rugby team live in true 8K or 10K, upscaled maybe...

Cliff S, Nov 29, 2017
  7. Plankton Win User
    Agreed....

Plankton, Nov 29, 2017
  8. dencal Win User

How many times in the past has it been said "It can`t be done"?.....and been proved otherwise.
    Not long ago it was claimed SSD,s could never overcome read speeds with bottlenecks above 550mbs, now we have M2 with its 3500mbs read speeds.

Technology moves forever onward and upwards, and what seems impossible now will be possible in the future.

Negative attitudes are anathema to creative minds.

dencal, Nov 29, 2017
  9. Cliff S New Member
    Tell me dencal, do you have uncompressed 4K TV, or uncompressed YouTube streaming?
    4K has been around a while now...
    I don't even get that with 1080p.
    Our cable company and TV senders send only either 780p or 1080i.
    Personally I can see when something has been compressed. Plus it also has to do with the bit rate something is streamed/sent.
    We'll be waiting a looooong time for 8K & 10K

Cliff S, Nov 29, 2017
  10. Plankton Win User
    Like I said...it's a waiting game. Once the law was passed it took 5 years for the digital TV to move forward for everyone. Then there were the 2 extensions for it. So we wait and wait.

Plankton, Nov 29, 2017
  11. dencal Win User
    Your post is about now......my previous post was about future advances in technology, no mention of a time scale.

Don't be so bloody negative.....if everyone thought like yourself no advancements would ever be made.

I am old enough to remember aeroplanes with propellers, and having worked in aerospace industries have noted the enormous strides made technology wise, In particular the enormous benefit of computers with the introduction of CAD/CAM.

All this undreamed of when I was a young man.

dencal, Nov 29, 2017
  12. sygnus21 Win User
    Just because we don't have anything (commercially) out now that takes advantage of the current tech available doesn't mean it's useless. It just means there isn't anything commercially available to consumers yet.

We have to start somewhere. And yeah, if we listened to the negatives, we wouldn't have a lot of the technology we have today. Again, we have to start somewhere. And as I like to say, technology marches onward, not backwards.

My two cents.

sygnus21, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. HDMI Forum releases version 2.1 of HDMI specification - Similar Threads - HDMI Forum releases

2. Connect 1 HDMI to 2 external systems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connect 1 HDMI to 2 external systems: I'm sure this has probably been asked, but my search-fu is failing me.I have a laptop computer with one HDMI port on it. The external monitor that I'm currently using is on it's way out which isn't surprising, since it's an eMachines monitor and that brand was retired in...
  3. Connect 1 HDMI to 2 external systems

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Connect 1 HDMI to 2 external systems: I'm sure this has probably been asked, but my search-fu is failing me.I have a laptop computer with one HDMI port on it. The external monitor that I'm currently using is on it's way out which isn't surprising, since it's an eMachines monitor and that brand was retired in...
  4. 2 HDMI ports 1 output audio

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    2 HDMI ports 1 output audio: HeyI have an Acer Swift laptop and I connected a USB-C extender that has 2 USBs, 1 USB-C and 1 HDMI.I have my TV connected to the main HDMI and 1 monitor connected to the extender with another HDMI to VGA extension to the monitor, however, when I have the two connected, the...
  5. 2 HDMI ports 1 output audio

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2 HDMI ports 1 output audio: HeyI have an Acer Swift laptop and I connected a USB-C extender that has 2 USBs, 1 USB-C and 1 HDMI.I have my TV connected to the main HDMI and 1 monitor connected to the extender with another HDMI to VGA extension to the monitor, however, when I have the two connected, the...
  6. 2 HDMI ports 1 output audio

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. 2 HDMI ports only 1 works

2 HDMI ports only 1 works: Intel i7-9700F @ 3GHz 16 GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti I have one Monitor hooked up works fine and I'm attempting to hook up a 2nd monitor to the 2nd HDMI display port on the PC yet NOTHING happens. Both HDMI cables and Both Monitors work when using the initial...
  8. audio devices, specifically output devices are not showing hdmi as an option when hdmi...

audio devices, specifically output devices are not showing hdmi as an option when hdmi...: so my hdmi out wasnt working and i found one of these device options had a warning like symbol so i just disabled it and re-enabled it and that fixed it... i saw many other loooooong threads about this topic and i just hope someone finds this and doesnt waste their time...
  9. 2 hdmi ports

2 hdmi ports: Hello , I recently took apart my computer cabels and moved it - now while setting up i see 2 hdmi do i plug straight into the graphic card or into the circuit board. i want the best and dont want to do anything stupid please help me out. Thank you...
  10. HDMI Forum Announces Version 2.1 of the HDMI Specification

in Windows 10 News
    HDMI Forum Announces Version 2.1 of the HDMI Specification: Las Vegas, Nevada – January 4, 2017 - HDMI Forum, Inc. today announced the upcoming release of Version 2.1 of the HDMI Specification. This latest HDMI Specification supports a range of Higher Video Resolutions and refresh rates including 8K60 and 4K120, Dynamic HDR, and...