Windows 10: HDMI output disappeared on laptop - TV no longer plays audio when connected with HDMI cable.

Discus and support HDMI output disappeared on laptop - TV no longer plays audio when connected with HDMI cable. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I connected my laptop to the TV last night via HDMI to watch some shows when I noticed it wasn't playing audio like it usually does. Visual was fine,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Gnostiko, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Gnostiko Win User

HDMI output disappeared on laptop - TV no longer plays audio when connected with HDMI cable.

I connected my laptop to the TV last night via HDMI to watch some shows when I noticed it wasn't playing audio like it usually does. Visual was fine, but audio was only coming from my laptop. Went through various settings and tried everything from games to mp3s, but it's like my laptop would not recognize my TV for the purposes of audio.

When I go into sound devices, whether the HDMI cable is plugged in or not, there is no Realtek HDMI Output in the devices section, even with disabled/unplugged devices ticked. It just has "speaker/headphones."

Things I have done:

• Uninstalled/reinstalled speakers

• Uninstalled/reinstalled/updated audio drivers

• Updated Nvidia graphics card drivers

• General Windows update

• Restarting laptop

It's not an issue with the TV as it plays audio fine when the Roku is plugged in. It's not an issue with the cable itself, as I have another brand new HDMI cable that I plugged in and I still get the same issue. It's worked normally from February up until yesterday when it suddenly didn't.

Laptop is an HP 15-au018wm, Windows 10, all drivers are up to speed.

:)

Gnostiko, Sep 13, 2020

2. No audio output though HDMI cable when connected to TV

Hi Charles,

I apologize for not addressing you in a timely manner. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

HDMI cables do support audio signals, but not all HDMI-enabled video cards support audio. If your HDTV has an audio input, you might be able to connect a separate audio cable from your computer's sound card directly to the

TV. Otherwise, you'll need to connect the audio signal to a different output device, such as external computer speakers or your home stereo system. Follow these methods and check if it helps:

By default Windows does not route sound over the HDMI output. To change this we need to change the settings in control panel.

Note: This will turn off sound from the speakers or normal audio output on the laptop. To get that back you will have to reverse this process.

a) Press Windows key + X

b) Click on "Control Panel"

c) With the Control Panel in "Control Panel Home" view please click on "Hardware and Sound"

d) Where it says "Sound" in green letters there are three options below that are in blue click on "Manage Audio Devices"

e) This will bring up a window labeled "Sound"

f) On the "Playback" tab there is listed the sound options available to you. One should read "Digital Output Device (HDMI)" Click on that.

g) There should now be a check mark on that option, make HDMI sound output as default .

h) The Sound should then play through your HDMI hookups to the TV.

Write to us with the status of the issues experienced on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Nachappa C K, Sep 13, 2020
  3. Connecting a windows 10 laptop to a smart tv using a hdmi cable

Hi,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

HDMI cables do support audio signals, but not all HDMI-enabled video cards support audio. If your HDTV has an audio input, you might be able to connect a separate audio cable from your computer's sound card directly to the TV. Otherwise, you'll need to
    connect the audio signal to a different output device, such as external computer speakers or your home stereo system. Follow these methods and check if it helps:

Method 1
    I suggest you to refer to the suggestions provided by Karthik Vengaloor and Kaplana from the following link and check if it helps.
    Windows 8 audio through a hdmi cable doesn't work on desktop

Please get back to us with updated status, we will be happy to assist you.

if issue persists,

Method 2

Let’s first check if “HDMI Output” is selected as the default device.

Follow these steps:

1. Click Start and select Control Panel.

2. On the right hand side of the screen, under View by:, click the drop-down icon and select Large icons.

3. Click Sound.

If you do not have the HDMI Output listed under “Playback” tab, right click in the playback window and select Show Disabled Device and Show Disconnected Device.

If the HDMI Output option appears, right-click HDMI Output and select Default Device.

Now the audio must be playing on HDMI.

For more information, see Connect your computer to a TV

Please get back to us with updated status, we will be happy to assist you.

Amrita Bhattacharjee, Sep 13, 2020
  4. CJTFVLA84 Win User

HDMI output disappeared on laptop - TV no longer plays audio when connected with HDMI cable.

Play Audio through HDMI cable plugged into TV

Thanks, but that's the opposite of what I asked. I have a desktop and am trying to play sound through the TV, using the HDMI port. Works for my 360, haven't seen the digital audio device option on my Windows 10 platform.

CJTFVLA84, Sep 13, 2020
Thema:

1. HDMI output disappeared on laptop - TV no longer plays audio when connected with HDMI cable. - Similar Threads - HDMI output disappeared

2. TV no longer connects to PC HDMI

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    TV no longer connects to PC HDMI: Sony TV KDL-40EX403 no longer properly displays windows 10 PC. Both devices definetely know they're connected to something, as the TV opens up the external input to change channel to, and the computer shows the TV. It definetely can connect, as it has in the past. have tried...
  3. Connecting PC and TV by HDMI cable

Connecting PC and TV by HDMI cable: I connected ny computer to the smart TV by a HDMI cable in order to see content on the TV screen. I see the on the TV screen the bottom applications line but not the screen itself....
  4. hdmi cable to tv

hdmi cable to tv: Since installing windows 10 i cant get the hdmi cable from laptop to tv to work, i was working fine prior to me downloading windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdmi-cable-to-tv/fbb308ac-309b-4ec2-a047-673dfeec99e9
  5. No Audio With HDMI Cable From TV to PC

in Windows 10 Customization
    No Audio With HDMI Cable From TV to PC: Why is there no audio when I plug in HDMI cable from tv to pc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-audio-with-hdmi-cable-from-tv-to-pc/ad23c526-2966-4b35-9b7e-3fda436a7b79
  6. HDMI Output to TV

HDMI Output to TV: I use my laptop to send PowerPoint presentations to a big screen TV in a classroom. That works fine as long as I am in Slide Show mode. However, I cannot get anything else from the computer to the TV. When I connect the laptop to the TV I see my background photo but I do not...
  7. connecting a TV with HDMI cable to hp laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    connecting a TV with HDMI cable to hp laptop: Every time I try to connect my dual boot HP Pavilion laptop running Windows 10 N Version 1809 to my Vizio E420i-B0 TV my laptop crashes. When I make the hdmi connection via Linux Lite 3.6 the TV connects without a problem. Is it the N 10 1809 version of Windows that's the...
  8. Connect Laptop to TV using VGA- HDMI cable

Connect Laptop to TV using VGA- HDMI cable: Hi, I am using Dell Vostro 3466 and it doesnt have HDMI port so I am using VGA to HDMI port. I am trying to connect it with my smart tv but it says no signal. My laptop display has been destroyed and I can barely see whats on it. Please suggest shortcuts or work arounds...
  9. connecting laptop with windows 10 to tv with HDMI cable

connecting laptop with windows 10 to tv with HDMI cable: I'm trying to view my laptop (Windows 10) to my tv. The settings menu says it doesn't detect another display. What am I doing wrong? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/connecting-laptop-with-windows-10-to-tv-with-hdmi/54f4c9c6-91e2-4a0b-916c-825410a42125
  10. Audio is not playing through hdmi connected tv

Audio is not playing through hdmi connected tv: I have my laptop HP 15-f039wm Notebook PC and have it hooked up to my Panasonic tv. The display is there yet the sound only plays through the laptop. I have gone into playback devices yet no hdmi output is listed even when showing hidden and disabled. I went through...