Windows 10: HDMI output has stopped working after update to 1909

Discus and support HDMI output has stopped working after update to 1909 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; For many (at least 3) years, I have used a Philips 225PL2 monitor as an extended desktop. It's been driven by the HDMI port of my laptop via an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Polemic, Mar 5, 2020.

1. Polemic Win User

HDMI output has stopped working after update to 1909

For many (at least 3) years, I have used a Philips 225PL2 monitor as an extended desktop. It's been driven by the HDMI port of my laptop via an HDMI-to-DVI cable and has always worked without a problem. The only video output connector from the laptop is HDMI, there's no VGA.

Last night, I updated to Windows 10 64 bit version 1909 (build 18363.693) and suddenly, the monitor can't see the video output. It knows it's connected to something, or else the OSD would tell me, but it says "Attention: No video input" and then sleeps, so it's not seeing the video from the HDMI port.

I have connected the monitor, via the same cable, to an HP laptop that has not been updated to Windows 10 v 1909, and it still works, so neither the cable nor the monitor is at fault. I've also tried it with an older Dell monitor, which doesn't have the ability to tell me whether it can see the connection, but also sits there with a blank screen.

Things I have tried to date:

1. Windows-P and selecting either "extend" or "duplicate" - neither works.
    2. Settings > Display > Multiple Displays > Detect - returns "Didn't detect another display".
    3. Went to the Intel and NVIDIA websites and downloaded and installed the latest drivers for both the Intel HD Graphics 5500 and NVIDIA GEForce 940M chipsets. Intel is now version 20.19.15.5058 and NVIDIA is 26.21.14.4250.
    4. Control Panel > Device Manager > Display adaptors > Properties - reports both drivers working correctly.
    5. Control Panel > Device Manager > Monitors - unsurprisingly no longer lists the Philips monitor like it used to.
    6. Turned everything off and turned it back on again *Rolleyes starting with the monitor first.
    7. Ran sfc / scannow - said it found corrupted files and replaced them, but it made no discernible difference to anything when rebooted.
    8. Ran the Windows hardware troubleshooter - reported no problems.

I'm loathe to do the one other thing I've seen suggested elsewhere - update the BIOS (assuming an update is available) - because why mess with what was working fine until the Windows update? (The BIOS is currently Insyde Version F.45, 23/05/2017).

It may seem a trivial issue but in fact it's had a huge effect on my productivity because the type of work I do is made much faster by the ability to use an extended desktop. So any suggestions / solutions would be greatly appreciated.

:)

Polemic, Mar 5, 2020
  2. Graeme.P Win User

HDMI output stopped working after blue screen.

Hi Koenbril, I'm Graeme, an independent adviser here to help.

If you've been experiencing multiple blue screens when gaming and now the HDMI output has stopped working, I'd suggest it's an issue with your graphics card, perhaps a hardware failure.

I'd normally suggest testing multiple cables or monitors and reinstalling drivers for your graphics card, as well as the other steps you mentioned, but since you've already tried those and it still doesn't work, it looks like it's a faulty graphics card.

My only recommendation would be to seek out warranty from the store you purchased the card to repair or replace it.

Please let me know if you have any other questions! Thanks!

Graeme.P, Mar 5, 2020
  3. hdmi output stopped working after the update!

Hello,

I (have HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC) after i upgraded from windows 7 to 10 the Hdmi output stopped working?? and I can't connect my Notebook to the TV NOW, i tried almost everything and it's still doesn't work???

PLEASE RELEASE AN UPDATE OR SOME SOLUTION FOR THAT PROBLEM AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!

salih alassifi, Mar 5, 2020
  4. Naresh_K Win User

ok got to work from hdmi and speaker but can output go from headset and hdmi

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft community forum.

To have a better understanding of the issue, please help us with the following information:

1. Are you trying to output Audio via HDMI/headset or to a speaker/headset connect to your HDMI device?

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to update the audio driver and set HDMI Device
    as default device.

Regards,

Naresh_K, Mar 5, 2020
Thema:

1. HDMI output has stopped working after update to 1909 - Similar Threads - HDMI output has

2. Sound Output has stopped working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sound Output has stopped working: To whom it may concern,The sound output on my laptop has been playing up for several months now - the speakers have been working but my microphone only worked when I had headphones plugged into the jack on the left-hand side of my laptop.Today 09/10/2023 I attempted to fix it...
  3. HDMI output stopped not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDMI output stopped not working: HDMI output stopped not working after windows 11 update. I cannot detect my monitor and all my device drivers are up to date https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdmi-output-stopped-not-working/b2a38766-95ff-41ba-9024-05ae0a4acc91
  4. HDMI output stopped not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HDMI output stopped not working: HDMI output stopped not working after windows 11 update. I cannot detect my monitor and all my device drivers are up to date https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdmi-output-stopped-not-working/b2a38766-95ff-41ba-9024-05ae0a4acc91
  5. HDMI output to TV has stopped working, used to work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDMI output to TV has stopped working, used to work: I used to plug my Windows 10 laptop into my Sony A80J Google TV via HDMI cable for a long time and everything worked beautifully. But now, a few months later, when I plug my laptop in, I just get a green/red flickering screen of garbage on the TV, which doesn't change. I...
  6. HDMI output to TV has stopped working, used to work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HDMI output to TV has stopped working, used to work: I used to plug my Windows 10 laptop into my Sony A80J Google TV via HDMI cable for a long time and everything worked beautifully. But now, a few months later, when I plug my laptop in, I just get a green/red flickering screen of garbage on the TV, which doesn't change. I...
  7. HDMI output stopped working

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    HDMI output stopped working: Hello, I have an Asus TH101A with intel HD graphics from Atom X5-Z8350 CPU. My HDMI otuput is not working anymore. I know it's not a faulty hardware because I tested it on a linux live USB. I tested 3 drivers. One from ASUS (version 20.19.15.4364), one from windows update...
  8. HDMI has stopped working after update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDMI has stopped working after update: My HDMI out to my tv has stopped working since a windows update installed. It has happened before but this time I can not resolve it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdmi-has-stopped-working-after-update/17b2c201-1d54-40f4-87f7-dd83be32d329
  9. HDMI output has stopped working after update to 1909

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    HDMI output has stopped working after update to 1909: For many (at least 3) years, I have used a Philips 225PL2 monitor as an extended desktop. It's been driven by the HDMI port of my laptop via an HDMI-to-DVI cable and has always worked without a problem. The only video output connector from the laptop is HDMI, there's no VGA....
  10. HDMI output stopped working after blue screen.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    HDMI output stopped working after blue screen.: Hello, Today i experienced a blue screen while running a game on my Asus ROG GL553V. For some reason this happens quite often with said game except today after rebooting the HDMI output of my laptop stopped working. I've updated my Windows 10, my graphics drivers for...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hdmi stopped after windows 1909 hp notebook 15