Windows 10: HDMI outputs only 2.0, not 5.1 -- Help request

Discus and support HDMI outputs only 2.0, not 5.1 -- Help request in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; It appears that my HDMI outputs only 2.0, not 5.1. How can I fix that? Audio Setup Details. "Control Panel" 'Sound' opens "Sound" dialog. "Sound"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by MarkFilipak.Windows, Nov 3, 2019.

1. HDMI outputs only 2.0, not 5.1 -- Help request

It appears that my HDMI outputs only 2.0, not 5.1. How can I fix that?

Audio Setup Details.
    "Control Panel" 'Sound' opens "Sound" dialog.
    "Sound" dialog, 'Playback' tab shows 'Intel(R) Display Audio' as the Default Device.
    "Sound" dialog, 'Playback' tab, [Configure] button opens "Speaker Setup" dialog.
    "Speaker Setup" dialog, 'Audio channels' shows "5.1 Surround" selected.
    "Speaker Setup" dialog, [Test] button produces sound only for 'L' & 'R'.
    Test sound for 'C' 'Sub' 'RL' & 'RR' fail (are silent).

It is possible that my HDMI Audio Extractor (HDMI-to-6ch-RCA) is defective, but it does work for 'L' & 'R', so I doubt it's defective, however, it is new, so I honestly can't say that it ever did work. More probable is that there's some additional setup I don't know about.

The computer is a gaming laptop. The built-in audio is 2.0, so Windows may be stuck on that.

In order to use my Home Theater for Windows sound and for movies, I need HDMI to be always ON, not just when the Extended Desktop (TV) is active. As of now, my sound is 2.0 for both.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Mark.

:)

MarkFilipak.Windows, Nov 3, 2019
  2. Naresh_K Win User

ok got to work from hdmi and speaker but can output go from headset and hdmi

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft community forum.

To have a better understanding of the issue, please help us with the following information:

1. Are you trying to output Audio via HDMI/headset or to a speaker/headset connect to your HDMI device?

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to update the audio driver and set HDMI Device
    as default device.

Regards,

Naresh_K, Nov 3, 2019
  3. ok got to work from hdmi and speaker but can output go from headset and hdmi

Would like to hdmi and headphone jack

RobertPrusakiewicz, Nov 3, 2019
  4. Roohi_Taj Win User

HDMI outputs only 2.0, not 5.1 -- Help request

HDMI cable doesn't pop up under audio output options

Hello
    Kerfundle,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are unable to receive audio from TV when connected through HDMI cable to the laptop. For further clarity on the issue and to guide you accordingly, respond to the questions listed below:

1. Since when are you facing this issue?
    2. Are you aware of any changes being made to the PC?
    3. What is the make and model of the PC?

Method 1: Set HDMI as a Default Device

1. Press
    Windows
    and R key together on your Keyboard.

2. Type Control and hit enter.

3. Click on Hardware and sound >
    click on sound on the right pane.

4. Choose Playback tab and find the HDMI Output on the devices list.

· If you can’t find it:
    Right click on an empty space and select, “Show disconnected devices” and “Show disabled devices”.

· Select “HDMI Output” and click on “Properties” and make sure that the HDMI Output is enabled.

5. Select the HDMI Output and click the button Set Default.

Method 2: Update the drivers.

The issue might be, because of the sound drivers not being recognized properly. I suggest you to update the
    Sound drivers. Refer the article to Update drivers
    in Windows 10

If you would like me to provide additional advice, simply respond to this thread. I will get notified and I’ll reply to you as soon as I can.

Hope it helps.

Roohi Taj S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Roohi_Taj, Nov 3, 2019
Thema:

HDMI outputs only 2.0, not 5.1 -- Help request

1. HDMI outputs only 2.0, not 5.1 -- Help request - Similar Threads - HDMI outputs Help

2. 2 HDMI ports 1 output audio

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    2 HDMI ports 1 output audio: HeyI have an Acer Swift laptop and I connected a USB-C extender that has 2 USBs, 1 USB-C and 1 HDMI.I have my TV connected to the main HDMI and 1 monitor connected to the extender with another HDMI to VGA extension to the monitor, however, when I have the two connected, the...
  3. 2 HDMI ports 1 output audio

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2 HDMI ports 1 output audio: HeyI have an Acer Swift laptop and I connected a USB-C extender that has 2 USBs, 1 USB-C and 1 HDMI.I have my TV connected to the main HDMI and 1 monitor connected to the extender with another HDMI to VGA extension to the monitor, however, when I have the two connected, the...
  4. 2 HDMI ports 1 output audio

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Only 1 external monitor outputted

Only 1 external monitor outputted: Hi, I have 2 external Dell monitors connected to my Windows 10 Lenovo Thinkpad T490. one monitor is connected by a HDMI cable, and the other connected by a mini USB HDMI adaptor. The monitor that is connected via the mini USB HDMI is always detected in preference to the other...
  6. hdmi output

in Windows 10 Customization
    hdmi output: i am not getting any sound or video from my hdmi. what should i try? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdmi-output/aa63273e-1a66-495a-b272-d3d32d8495fb
  7. Is it possible to use HDMI for audio output only?

Is it possible to use HDMI for audio output only?: Hello, sorry, I don't know if this is a Windows driver question or graphic card related support. I have a weird setup and it's the following: I have a Laptop Dell G5 with RTX 2060 and I use the DVI port for a monitor. I have a samsung soundbar and I have it connected via...
  8. 2 HDMI ports only 1 works

2 HDMI ports only 1 works: Intel i7-9700F @ 3GHz 16 GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti I have one Monitor hooked up works fine and I'm attempting to hook up a 2nd monitor to the 2nd HDMI display port on the PC yet NOTHING happens. Both HDMI cables and Both Monitors work when using the initial...
  9. HDMI output

HDMI output: I'm trying to run a projector from my Windows 10 laptop using HDMI to HDMI cable. The projector only shows background and taskbar. Using VGA to VGA cable worked fine. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdmi-output/b3789904-ff58-4127-8138-ead5ae41f305
  10. Dual Monitor Sound Output with 2 HDMI's

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dual Monitor Sound Output with 2 HDMI's: #1 Hello, Im trying to output my PC sound to my dual monitor setup (HP VH240a x2) I've tried enabling the stereo mixer in windows and replaying to the second monitor and even used a direct audio jack instead but nothing. Also, I tried NVIDIA's Control Panel and enabled...