Windows 10: HDMI port unreliable

Discus and support HDMI port unreliable in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am at my wits end trying to figure this out; maybe I'm just not finding the right search terms; or maybe I'm overlooking an obvious troubleshooting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by barry182, Jan 7, 2021.

1. barry182 Win User

HDMI port unreliable

I am at my wits end trying to figure this out; maybe I'm just not finding the right search terms; or maybe I'm overlooking an obvious troubleshooting step. It seems to be a Windows problem and I'm guessing it's "smack my forehead" simple.

My laptop, running Win10, was connected for years to my TV via HDMI and correctly displayed 1080-60.

I was forced to reinstall Win10 20H2 from scratch and since then the HDMI has been bad. It will briefly display correctly if I freshly install the driver but any slight upset maybe just click an icon and the HDMI drops and can't be brought back except by uninstall driver, reboot. It does seem to be reliable when I use it into a 720 display, even when I then force it to output 1080p the display down converts it. Likewise if I boot to Linux, the HDMI works completely correctly and reliably, using the same display, cable and, of course, the same computer.

BTW, I can run VGA at 1080 perfectly fine even when the HDMI has quit. The TV also works fine from a different computer that only uses Linux.

[I have tried both Windows native and Intel HD drivers, as well as tried the og drivers Win8.1

Late Development: I have another laptop running the same Win10 version which is acting exactly the same. It upgraded itself to 20H2 before I checked to see if it still worked.

:)

barry182, Jan 7, 2021

2. HDMI port

Yeah, Barbara, that would be it if it's the only HDMI port.

Have you installed the camera software? Be sure to read the instructions closely and follow each step. It may or may not have you plug into the port later. So read all the steps through first.

Greg Carmack - MVP, Jan 7, 2021
  3. erocker Win User
    Why exactly is ATi considered be better at HDMI?

I plug my HDMI cable into the card, then into my TV. Those are the steps that I have to do. All the steps you list make absolutely no sense to me.

erocker, Jan 7, 2021
  4. HDMI port unreliable

windows 10 wont recognize hdmi port

Hi Fred,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience that you are experiencing. I will definitely assist you.

This issue could be due to the HDMI driver is outdated. Let’s try the simple troubleshooting method below provided and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Method 1.

I would suggest you to run Hardware troubleshooter and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard and select Control Panel.

• Type Troubleshooting in the search bar on the Control Panel.

• Click on Small icon on the left navigation pane.

• Click on Troubleshooting and click on
      Hardware and Device.

• Click on Advanced on the Hardware troubleshooter dialog box and click on Run as administrator (Enter the credentials if required).

• Click on Next and follow onscreen instruction complete the Hardware troubleshooter.
    And also I suggest you to update HDMI driver from the below provided steps.

Method 2.

• Press (Windows key + X) and click on “Device Manager”.

• Expand “ports”.

• Right click on the HDMI device and select
      update.

• Once update is done, restart the computer.
    Hope this helps. If you need further assistance with Windows, let us know and will be glad to help.

Billion Debbarma, Jan 7, 2021
Thema:

HDMI port unreliable

1. HDMI port unreliable - Similar Threads - HDMI port unreliable

2. Replacing HDMI ports!

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Replacing HDMI ports!: Are HDMI ports on desktop towers easy to replace and would it be costly? Thanks!
  3. HDMI port unreliable

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    HDMI port unreliable: I am at my wits end trying to figure this out; maybe I'm just not finding the right search terms; or maybe I'm overlooking an obvious troubleshooting step. It seems to be a Windows problem and I won't be surprised to learn it's "smack my forehead" simple. My laptop, running...
  4. HDMI port

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDMI port: when I connect the laptop to the tv through hdmi cable nothing happens https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdmi-port/18ca5c4a-adb6-4c0d-9970-21b3132930bb
  5. HDMI ports

HDMI ports: i am having a issue with one of my HDMI ports. i have two, but only one is working. i cant connect anything via that port. i cant use my second monitor. it just doesnt want to connect to anything....
  6. hdmi ports

in Windows 10 Customization
    hdmi ports: Each start of Windows 10 sends my ACER HDMI monitor signal to the other hdmi socket. Switching the plug is a nuisance. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdmi-ports/41449df5-318f-48d3-acbc-03773e97a2dc
  7. HDMI Port

HDMI Port: Is it possible to hook up a USB 3.0 adapter to a HDMI female port on my laptop by way of some device? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdmi-port/91340db1-1ef4-4b85-b00e-cf115a6aa5f7
  8. HDMI port not working

HDMI port not working: I have an HP Elitebook running Windows 10 Pro version 10.0.18362 Build 18362 I have been installing the system updates and now my HDMI port isn't working and I cannot connect an external monitor. I have followed a few posts and have gone and re-installed my Intel display...
  9. 2 hdmi ports

2 hdmi ports: Hello , I recently took apart my computer cabels and moved it - now while setting up i see 2 hdmi do i plug straight into the graphic card or into the circuit board. i want the best and dont want to do anything stupid please help me out. Thank you...
  10. HDMI Port

HDMI Port: My HDMI port on my Dell laptop has stopped working after a Microsoft upgrade in April. It does not recognise it at all. Any thoughts? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/hdmi-port/88ad78b8-7c10-4bb7-a3d8-267ea9e451b0