Windows 10: HDMI, second monitor and my icons disappeared

Discus and support HDMI, second monitor and my icons disappeared in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi guys! Yesterday I try to do what the cool kids do and connect and extra monitor to my laptop (with an HDMI high-speed cable KPHDME2). However, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/tinomillennium, Jul 29, 2020.

1. HDMI, second monitor and my icons disappeared

Hi guys! Yesterday I try to do what the cool kids do and connect and extra monitor to my laptop (with an HDMI high-speed cable KPHDME2). However, I started messing around with the settings, and here we are.
    Specifically, my icons first expanded, then somehow overlapped, then disappeared. At the moment I am in this situation, with an empty desktop and these annoying blue lines that appear when I move the mouse and that, apparently, are my icons now (see the video). The icons are still in the Desktop folder but they are not visible on the desktop. How can I go back to a normal desktop where I can find my beloved icons?
    Thanks for your help!

T.

submitted by /u/tinomillennium
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/tinomillennium, Jul 29, 2020
  2. tollbooth Win User

My HDMI connection to my second monitor no longer works

The problem has returned--sort of. Here is the sequence of steps I followed:

1. No display on my second monitor, despite the fact that the HDMI cable was connecting my computer to the monitor.

2. Tried changing the *Start-P settings repeatedly. Nothing. When I set the connection to "extend," my computer clearly thinks that there is a second monitor (all the Windows icons go there--as I have it set to my #1 display), but it is completely dark.

3. Tried multiple restarts. Nothing.

4. Tried connecting it to my older laptop as described above. Worked perfectly.

5. Plugged it back into my current laptop. Works just fine now.

So clearly it's some sort of software or setting issue. Can anyone tell me how to fix this if it comes up again without having to resort to using my old laptop, in case I don't have it around?

tollbooth, Jul 29, 2020
  3. Desktop Icons are disappearing.

I have recently installed the new Windows 10 update on my computer. My primary monitor is plugged in as a LCDTV via HDMI, my second monitor is the classical monitor style. I have been having some annoying issues with my desktop icons randomly disappearing
    from my primary monitor. They don't all disappear, just a few of them. Sometimes they are moved over to my second monitor. I'm not manually doing this, or accidentally dragging them over. It's really frustrating, as my icons will just disappear or move over
    to the other monitor. It seems this is a common issue with those with Windows 10 and using Dual Monitors.

HaleyLipowski, Jul 29, 2020
  4. AC_10 Win User

HDMI, second monitor and my icons disappeared

Second monitor not working with HDMI

Hi,

I have a AOC monitor hp Pavillion laptop and while trying to connect to the monitor using a HDMI cord, nothing is displayed. Comes up with a No Signal info. I have tried multiple cords : HDMI - HDMI, HDMI - DVI , HDMI - VGA, nothing works. The monitor is
    not detected. I have another laptop on Windows 7 and and if I try to connect directly with VGA - VGA, it works, but does not work with HDMI from the same laptop. Basically, it does not work with HDMI at all.

I have updated the latest graphics card, both nVidia and Intel, but no progress.

If I use the same laptop and connect to my hd tv using the same cord it works, but does not work with my monitor. The monitor model is AOC e2450swh. It has support for HDMI. Even if I try to use a HDMI to VGA cord, still it does not display anything.

Any suggestions would be really helpful.

Thanks

AC_10, Jul 29, 2020
Thema:

HDMI, second monitor and my icons disappeared

1. HDMI, second monitor and my icons disappeared - Similar Threads - HDMI second monitor

2. Problems with second monitor with HDMI to DisplayPort converter

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems with second monitor with HDMI to DisplayPort converter: Hi, I have a problem with my computer trying to use a second monitor. I have a RX6650 xt and I'm trying to use a second monitor using a HDMI to DisplayPort converter. The monitor shows de BIOS image when de pc starts and even shows the BIOS setup but when Windows initiate it...
  3. Cursor is disappearing on second monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cursor is disappearing on second monitor: I am working on a laptop with an additional monitor and my cursor is disappearing only on the second monitor and specifically only in areas where I can type. For example: OneNote, sticky notes, and this text box that I am currently typing in. The cursor appears everywhere...
  4. Cursor is disappearing on second monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cursor is disappearing on second monitor: I am working on a laptop with an additional monitor and my cursor is disappearing only on the second monitor and specifically only in areas where I can type. For example: OneNote, sticky notes, and this text box that I am currently typing in. The cursor appears everywhere...
  5. Monitors not working in second back HDMI slot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitors not working in second back HDMI slot: After restarting my computer one time, my second monitor randomly stopped working and in display settings it shows it greyed out. However, plugging my working monitor into the slot that my second monitor is in shows no signal, but updates and rollback on my display adapter...
  6. Monitors not working in second back HDMI slot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Monitors not working in second back HDMI slot: After restarting my computer one time, my second monitor randomly stopped working and in display settings it shows it greyed out. However, plugging my working monitor into the slot that my second monitor is in shows no signal, but updates and rollback on my display adapter...
  7. Monitors not working in second back HDMI slot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. HDMI/Second Monitor/Sound Issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDMI/Second Monitor/Sound Issues: Recently on two different computers, I've attempted to connect a second monitor with HDMI and runi into major problems. On one computer, I was able to get a picture but no sound. On the second computer, I got nothing. No picture, no sound, no connection at all. I've...
  9. second monitor icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    second monitor icons: recently I have set up a second monitor on my windows desktop. everything is working fine however I would like to know if there is a way to mirror my desktop icons without mirroring the hole screen...
  10. My HDMI connection to my second monitor no longer works

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    My HDMI connection to my second monitor no longer works: For some unknown reason the HDMI connection between my laptop and my second monitor no longer works. The monitor itself is working fine, but it now gets no connection from my laptop. Worse, because I had set it to the #1 display, when I connect the two, the control panel and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. laptop icon not showing when connected to external monitor

2. dvi no icons