Windows 10: HDMI sound from PVR is missing

Discus and support HDMI sound from PVR is missing in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; After upgrade to w10 the sound via the HDMI port went missing. On this machine you press a button to switch from PC Mode to Game Mode, which activates... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by skins88, Sep 5, 2015.

1. skins88 Win User

HDMI sound from PVR is missing

After upgrade to w10 the sound via the HDMI port went missing. On this machine you press a button to switch from PC Mode to Game Mode, which activates the HDMI port where the PVR is plugged in. When viewing a PVR program (TV show), the video is perfect but there is no sound. I have updated drivers, rolled back drivers, & tried everything I can think of. What am I missing ??
    (besides the PVR audio)
    I have an HP Omni 27 1055 Desktop PC.

:)

skins88, Sep 5, 2015
  2. periwinkle_28, Sep 5, 2015
  3. HDMI sound missing

Yesterday, 7/31/15, my computer upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7. Prior to the update, we could switch our sound playback to come out of our Samsung smart TV that is connected via HDMI cable.... now that the upgrade has completed, this sound source
    is not even listed in playback options, but the monitor is mirrored perfectly. When I open my NVIDIA control panel, the SAMSUNG sound option is listed, but still not showing in playback options on the windows sound settings! I have updated my drivers for
    NVIDIA and restarted the system, but still not having any luck. Intel driver update utility says my drivers for them are up to date as well. We desperately need to resolve this issue... or revert back to our previous OS where it worked without any issues.

Thanks

DeenaPierce, Sep 5, 2015
  4. bro67 Win User

Try updating the Audio driver and GPU Driver.

bro67, Sep 5, 2015
  5. skins88 Win User
    I have updated the Audio Driver (IDT High Def Audio Codec) - no solution there - then I rolled it back to a previous driver, & ... no solution there. Windows 10 does not yield anything on a search for GPU (graphics processor unit) - that seems to be NVIDIA term, & W10 does not know it, perhaps because there is not an NVIDIA graphics card in this machine. The display card seems to be an INTEL(R) HD Graphics, & I have used the INTEL Driver Update Utility to see if anything helps there ... nope ... nothing helpful has happened yet. I am stumped ...

skins88, Sep 5, 2015
  6. XweAponX Win User
    I have been having problems with NVidia drivers from 341.81 up. Ironically, not on Windows 10 but on Windows 8. It's because the video cards in both of my machines have reached eol (end of life). Check the Nvidia Driver page, there is a link for old/legacy drivers, you may have to choose one of those. Usually if it worked in Windows 7 or 8 it will work for 10, you might have to choose a 7 or 8 install package. If the installer fails, you can choose the driver from the extracted files in the C:\Nvidia folder. I had to do this and the drivers I needed went right in.

Oh yes, the Intel drivers might be equally problematic, you will have to search for your Motherboard Chipset, look for a Windows 7 or 8 driver package for your Chipset, which should include your Graphics Drivers. You can use a free program like AIDA64 to identify which MB chipset is in your machine, if you don't know it already.

XweAponX, Sep 6, 2015
  7. WhyMe Win User
    So you are saying the Intel Graphics and not a third-party PCIe graphics card?
    If it is the former, then the Intel Graphics is the HD 2000.
    The latest driver is version 15.28.24.64.4229
    What driver are you using please?

Also are you watching video through a tv, external monitor or the Omni monitor?
    Are you using built-in speakers or external speakers?

WhyMe, Sep 6, 2015
  8. skins88 Win User

I checked in Device Manager & it says I have this version (9.17.10.4229) of Intel(R) HD Graphics. For the sound Driver it says that I have the IDT High Definition Codec, version (6.10.6504.0)

What I have is a PVR plugged into the computers HDMI port. I use a button on the side of the computer to switch the computer from PC MODE to GAME MODE. What used to happen is that the computer display (the OMNI monitor) becomes the TV screen, with HD video & good sound. I use only the internal speakers - there are no externals hooked up. Now what happens is that I still get the HD video on the screen (OMNI monitor), but no sound, so I can watch everything from the PVR ... in silence. The PVR is fed via a modem that delivers internet & TV to our house. The PVR beside the computer is the main unit, with the hard drive. There are 2 other TV's in the house that have set top boxes that communicate with this main PVR unit. I can watch tv in silence - sometimes that is actually better, but technically, that is not how it is supposed to work. It all worked great last week ... running Windows 7 - before the upgrade to Windows 10.

skins88, Sep 6, 2015
  9. WhyMe Win User
    @skins88

That is the correct driver you have installed (15.28.24.64.4229 = 9.17.10.4229)

Please advise on the following:
    • Is there sound coming out of the headphones when you have video running via the PVR?
    • When you open your playback devices dialog, are any of the devices showing activity when you have the video running via the pvr?

NB - When checking the above, please use a music video or similar to test with. This will ensure that a silent moment during a film does not cause a 'false positive'

WhyMe, Sep 6, 2015
  10. skins88 Win User
    I have not tried headphones, but will in a while.
    I don't know how to watch device activity when the PVR is running as the OMNI display will be in PC MODE or GAME MODE, but can't do both at once. I will try running the PVR & watching device activity, but can't be sure the PVR is doing anything when the OMNI display is in PC MODE ... I can watch PVR video on the Omni display or I can have PC on the Omni display - just can't have both at once.

skins88, Sep 6, 2015
  11. WhyMe Win User
    Cool. Please try the headphones in both sockets. (I think your Omni should have two headphone jacks. One on the left below the USB and another on the back above the tv coax input).

Edit: Sorry. This probably should have been very first question I asked. Have you tested your HDMI cable on a different device to confirm the audio/video functionality is working correctly on that cable

WhyMe, Sep 6, 2015
  12. skins88 Win User
    Tried both Headphone jacks while the PVR was running a tv show, with the omni display showing it ... but no sound anywhere.

skins88, Sep 6, 2015
  13. WhyMe Win User

Please see edit in last post

And please post a screenshot of playback devices dialog

WhyMe, Sep 6, 2015
  14. skins88 Win User
    Now I have only headphone sound - the internal speakers are not working at all, even tho I think I have them set as the default device. I will try to get a screenshot in here ... & no I have not tested the HDMI cable - it was working just fine last week, & has been great for 2 years now.

HDMI sound from PVR is missing [​IMG]

skins88, Sep 6, 2015
  15. WhyMe Win User
    Hello again

I hope your speakers are working again from a cold boot. We haven't changed anything that would cause that, so it is a bit random.

Back to your problem on-topic now.

I thought I'd randomly pick an external PVR with HDMI to see if there were any new software releases, drivers or firmware that could effect your audio when connected to your Omni

• I chose the Hauppauge HD PVR 2 as it was the first model I came across.
    • The capture software had a recent update from a couple of weeks ago which included a "bug fix for loss of pass through audio"
    • Their latest driver also specifically included Win10 connectivity
    • I could not find any new firmware for the product
    What PVR are you using?
    Have you checked for driver / software / firmware updates for your PVR devices.

Edit: Something else I forgot. Go to your Windows Power Options and disable "Fast Startup". With this enabled, it appears Windows can complete it's boot before all devices and drivers are properly loaded and detected. Disabling solves a lot of seemingly random issues.

WhyMe, Sep 6, 2015
Thema:

1. HDMI sound from PVR is missing - Similar Threads - HDMI sound PVR

2. No HDMI Sound From TV

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No HDMI Sound From TV: Hello, I have a Lenovo Slim 7 16IAH7 laptop and when I connect an HDMI cable all I get is video no audio. Audio comes from the laptop and not the TV. When I go to sound settings no HDMI Devices appear. I have updated my graphics driver and other drivers. I have checked for...
  3. No HDMI Sound From TV

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No HDMI Sound From TV: Hello, I have a Lenovo Slim 7 16IAH7 laptop and when I connect an HDMI cable all I get is video no audio. Audio comes from the laptop and not the TV. When I go to sound settings no HDMI Devices appear. I have updated my graphics driver and other drivers. I have checked for...
  4. No sound from TV with HDMI cable

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No sound from TV with HDMI cable: Hello everyone, I've built a desktop recently and everything is working properly until I connect it to my TV. Basically, I have no sound, even though the TV is properly detected by Windows. I have no problems whatsoever when my desktop is connected to my Lenovo high refresh...
  5. HDMI Sound

HDMI Sound: hello. my audio doesnt play on the tv when i connect with hdmi cable, it keeps playing at my laptop. how to solve this ya? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdmi-sound/48f82785-6f0d-4465-b1e2-3416911e854d
  6. No sound from HDMI connected monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
    No sound from HDMI connected monitor: The sound quit working on my HDMI connected monitor. It says headphone or speaker unplugged. I'm pretty sure some update caused it. I have a Dell Inspiron Desktop....
  7. HDMI/No sound

HDMI/No sound: How is it possible that so many people can have the same problem, write in this forum so many times and I can't find a fix answer. Device connected with HDMI cord will not show up in the "sounds" as an option to be selected....
  8. New Monitor No Sound from HDMI

New Monitor No Sound from HDMI: Just got a new monitor today, Samsung S24D300HL which I have plugged into my Nvidia Geforce GTX 745 video card via HDMI. Picture is great no problems there. However I have no sound at all. I've updated my graphics driver via Nvidia Experience program version 361.43 I've...
  9. Hauppage PVR USB2 no sound

Hauppage PVR USB2 no sound: I have a hauppauge PVR USB2 card. I was happy to see the Vista driver installing on my Win10 x64, but when I finally connected the cable, I discovered that I have no sound. Any other having this card ? 42247
  10. HDMI sound missing

HDMI sound missing: So far I've managed to screw the HDMI sound option from the volume menu and the sound control panel. I was trying to switch between to the motherboard sound option from the GPU card HDMI sound option and clicked on disable on the mixer panel from the sound control task-bar....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. pvr hdmi cable missing sound

2. hdmi sound missing