Windows 10: HDMI to DVI converter?

Discus and support HDMI to DVI converter? in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; my laptop display runs at 1920x1080 at 60hz refresh rate. i wanted to buy an external moniter for a bigger screen. my laptop only has 1 hdmi port and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by iamacompoleteidiot, Jul 9, 2018.

1. HDMI to DVI converter?

my laptop display runs at 1920x1080 at 60hz refresh rate. i wanted to buy an external moniter for a bigger screen. my laptop only has 1 hdmi port and no dvi. i want the benefits of dvi as it can increase refresh rate according to the external monitor by using a hdmi to dvi converter. will this work with a laptop and will the converter convert the hdmi to a dvi fully for the extra refresh rate of the external monitor? Thanks!

iamacompoleteidiot, Jul 9, 2018
  2. mtosev Win User

Dvi to Hdmi converter

it will be the same quality. there is quality lose on dvi to hdmi and hdmi to dvi converters.

Wiki
    Compatibility with DVI

A DVI-HDMI adapter

An HDMI-DVI adapter
    A DVI signal is electrically compatible with an HDMI video signal; no signal conversion is required when an adapter or asymmetric cable is used, and consequently no loss in video quality occurs.[3] As such, HDMI is backward-compatible with Digital Visual Interface digital video (DVI-D or DVI-I, but not DVI-A) as used on modern computer monitors and graphics cards. This means that a DVI-D source can drive an HDMI monitor, or vice versa, by means of a suitable adapter or cable. However, the audio and remote-control features of HDMI will not be available unless the output supports HDMI via a DVI plug (e.g., ATI 3000-series and NVIDIA GTX 200-series video cards).[3] Additionally, not all devices with DVI input support High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP). Without such support by the device, an HDCP-enabled signal source will suppress output and so prevent the device from receiving HDCP-protected content.[88] All HDMI devices must support sRGB encoding

mtosev, Jul 9, 2018
  3. DVI --> HDMI converter

even if you got the hdmi adapter, it would be the same thing as using dvi, since any benefit you'd have w/ hdmi is lost when converted through dvi. so yea, stick w/ the dvi. it'll be cheaper and give you the same performance.

FatForester, Jul 9, 2018
  4. Pinchy Win User

HDMI to DVI converter?

DVI --> HDMI converter

If I had my computer and television, one has a HDMI port and the other doesnt. They both have DVI ports. Would it be worth getting one of these DVI to HDMI converters?

Personally, I would think its the same as just having a straight DVI connection because DVI is there anyway. Am I correct in saying this, or would I get HDMI support if I use one of these?

Pinchy, Jul 9, 2018
Thema:

HDMI to DVI converter?

1. HDMI to DVI converter? - Similar Threads - HDMI DVI converter

2. dvi hdmi adapter

in Windows 10 Gaming
    dvi hdmi adapter: When I try to connect my 2nd monitor with a hdmi port to computer with a dvi adapter containing hdmi I lose video on my 1st monitor.How do I rectify? Thanks for any help.pm...
  3. dvi hdmi adapter

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    dvi hdmi adapter: When I try to connect my 2nd monitor with a hdmi port to computer with a dvi adapter containing hdmi I lose video on my 1st monitor.How do I rectify? Thanks for any help.pm...
  4. dvi hdmi adapter

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. DVI to HDMI adapter?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    DVI to HDMI adapter?: My new desktop came today and my monitor has a 9 pin plug (I believe that it’s an hdmi port? the monitor is an HP, model LV2311) the desk top has hdmi or dvi ports only. Is it best to get a dvi to hdmi adapter and use a hdmi cable, or get a dvi cable and skip the adapter.?
  6. hdmi to dual dvi

hdmi to dual dvi: my windows 10 does not recognize the second monitor https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdmi-to-dual-dvi/45536e2d-2f17-4ad8-bf9f-7451f367f4e4
  7. Windows detect HDMI as DVI

Windows detect HDMI as DVI: Today 2 forced updated occured and then my resolution went to ****, and I have no audio from my tv, I tried reinstalling the graphics card's driver thrice and nothing, I downloaded the new windows major update, and nothing, I still haven't reinstalled windows but I see...
  8. HDMI and DVI

HDMI and DVI: On PC monitors is the image better on a "HDMI" then a "DVI" connection? 44960
  9. DVI-D to HDMI problem

DVI-D to HDMI problem: My desktop (HP p7-1110) computer has been used for a few years with the monitor plugged into the VGA port. There's also a DVI-D port back there. I've recently acquired a larger monitor and wish to send it an HDMI signal which the old monitor wasn't capable of. I looked...
  10. HDMI inferior to DVI?

HDMI inferior to DVI?: I thought that a graphics card with both outputs would run the same resolutions from each. My HIS Radeon 5670 iceq has a max of 2560X1600 through DVI, the HIS spec's don't give a figure for the HDMI. The AMD site gives 2560X1600 for DVI and 1920X1200 for HDMI. I've been...