Windows 10: HDR and Washed out colors

Discus and support HDR and Washed out colors in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; What's up guys so my new monitor is HDR compatible however whenever I enable HDR in games, it makes them look terrible. The colors are super washed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by N00berG00ber, May 11, 2019.

1. HDR and Washed out colors

What's up guys so my new monitor is HDR compatible however whenever I enable HDR in games, it makes them look terrible. The colors are super washed out, the brights are dull and the blacks are boosted to like a grey-ish. I've updated the monitor firmware and installed the latest driver for it. Right now, my normal color settings look more HDR then HDR it's self, lol. I've tried 3 games- BF5, FC5, and AC Odyssey. All with the same results.

:)

N00berG00ber, May 11, 2019

2. Windows 10 HDR problems in full screen.

Hello moderator

1. Its all the games I own that don't support HDR10. Basically when I full screen on a non-HDR game, the screen goes black for a few seconds and HDR gets disabled and all the colors looked washed out (Like its in SDR)

I took 2 screenshots, One is in window mode, the other is in full screen

Windowed mode (HDR on) : Imgur

Full screen mode (HDR off) : Imgur

2. Yes SDR looks washed out. I want to play my games in full screen and in HDR. Playing in windowed mode is a nightmare

3. I know because the monitor goes black for a few seconds and all the colors look washed out (As shown in the screenshots)

Sadly the fixes did not work HDR and Washed out colors :(

I updated the GPU drivers via GeForce Experience app.

My Monitor does support 4k HDR10

I tried lower the resolution and the refresh rate but that did not work.

Here is a video of my problem

YouTube Link :

Time Stamps :

0:00 HDR mode is on everything looks fine (In the video, when it looks high contrast, that means HDR is on)

0:35 I full screen the game. If you notice the high contrast is no longer there, the colors are washed out

0:46 I disable full screen and HDR mode is back on

*HDR looks high contrast, Ignore that, that's just the video itself.

Im also using windows 10 64bit 1809

WillyMcFly, May 11, 2019
  3. skum-cat Win User
    HDR mode and color profiles

Hello

I have a calibrated ICC profile for normal sRGB mode. When i switch to HDR mode, it still using the calibrated profile, and giving weird colors and white balance.

I have tried to add a Rec.2020 HDR profile to ICC-profile (Advance color) list in color management. But I can´t use it at standard colors in HDR mode. Nothing happens when i try to applied it.

So to be clear:

In normal mode I want to use calibrated icc profile for sRGB.

And in HDR mode, using the standard REC.2020 icc profile.

skum-cat, May 11, 2019
  4. HDR and Washed out colors

"HDR and advanced color" setting automatically switches back to "Off" when turned "On".

The implementation of HDR isn't very good. Windows 10 doesn't use dynamic HDR switching, so if you toggle it on, that means SDR content will have HDR applied to it (like the desktop). This means your desktop will look dim, washed out and text will have
    artifacts around it, even though the color space is 10-bit YCC422. Microsoft needs to either have HDR switch dynamically to content that uses HDR, or have some sort of conversion that applies 10-bit YCC422 rec. 2020 color space to the 709 color space, so
    the desktop and SDR content looks normal.

You can reduce the resolution to 4k@30 hz which might help the text artifacts, but it won't help the dim and washed out colors for SDR content (like your desktop).

Most people turn the HDR toggle off and only turn it on when they are going to play a game or watch content that's HDR enabled.

Prophecy MS, May 11, 2019
Thema:

HDR and Washed out colors

1. HDR and Washed out colors - Similar Threads - HDR Washed colors

2. Washed out display color

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Washed out display color: I have a problem recently that came out of nowhere. The color on my monitor seems to be off, and it doesn't matter how much I fiddled with Windows and monitor settings, including the built-in Windows color calibration, I can't seem to get it right. The problem is that the...
  3. Washed out display color

in Windows 10 Customization
    Washed out display color: I have a problem recently that came out of nowhere. The color on my monitor seems to be off, and it doesn't matter how much I fiddled with Windows and monitor settings, including the built-in Windows color calibration, I can't seem to get it right. The problem is that the...
  4. windows 11 hdr colors are washed out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 hdr colors are washed out: so i have windows 11 and i have hdr turned on and i get really washed out colors btw hdr is enabled on the monitor and i dont know exactly like whats the problem as my monitor is 409 nits bright as hdr says so i cant tell what could be the problem...
  5. windows 11 hdr colors are washed out

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 11 hdr colors are washed out: so i have windows 11 and i have hdr turned on and i get really washed out colors btw hdr is enabled on the monitor and i dont know exactly like whats the problem as my monitor is 409 nits bright as hdr says so i cant tell what could be the problem...
  6. Out of nowhere HDR colors are washed out (for weeks it was fine)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Out of nowhere HDR colors are washed out (for weeks it was fine): [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Syriuzz [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jr0mr1/out_of_nowhere_hdr_colors_are_washed_out_for/
  7. Colors dull and washed out

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Colors dull and washed out: The colors on my Lenovo Yoga C740 are washed out and dull. I tried to calibrate it but that didn't work. Is there a fix for this, or is it just my computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/colors-dull-and-washed-out/b2a7fd3f-ae8a-4971-afb2-e1bfb6c2223e
  8. Washed out HDR

Washed out HDR: Hi I'm curious and wonder how many of you have made HDR work properly? I've tried most things I can try and can't get HDR to work, switched PCs, 3 different monitors, different DP cables, formatted PCs and all tests resurfaced the same with washed colors. Windows 10 bad...
  9. HDR washed out looking

HDR washed out looking: It seems to be a bug going back years now, but is there any way to get HDR mode looking normal and not super washed out? Fullscreen game HDR works fine, but desktop HDR looks like trash. submitted by /u/XSSpants [link] [comments]...
  10. Washed out Taskbar Color

in Windows 10 Customization
    Washed out Taskbar Color: I left my computer on while I ran a few errands this morning. Was gone about an hour and a half. When I returned and brought my screen back to life, I noticed my Taskbar was no longer anywhere near the color it had been - a slightly-lighter shade of my dark green background...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 hdr washed out

2. windows hdr colors washed out

3. hdr looks washed out windows 10

4. windows 10 hdr washed out amd,
  5. play hdr games and apps washed out colours,
  6. windows sdr washed out,
  7. hdr washed out windows 10,
  8. windows hdr color washed out,
  9. windows hdr looks washed out,
  10. hdr windows 10 washed out,
  11. what happened to black in with the colors everything is washed out,