Windows 10: HDR Issue - Playing games or fullscreen Youtube videos

Discus and support HDR Issue - Playing games or fullscreen Youtube videos in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I recently got an LG HDR compatible monitor. I run with HDR on and for the most part have no issues. I have played 2 games since I got the monitor -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Jac70, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Jac70 Win User

HDR Issue - Playing games or fullscreen Youtube videos

I recently got an LG HDR compatible monitor. I run with HDR on and for the most part have no issues.

I have played 2 games since I got the monitor - Nier : Automata works fine, I also play an older game called Outland. Playing Outland is fine until I exit the game - the game seems to flip out of HDR and then re-enable it when I close out. The issue is that when the HDR is re-enabled the white point is not set correctly. White seems to be slightly pink/grey and the image has a slightly washed out look.

I am also seeing the same thing occasionally when I go fullscreen with a YouTube video. Randomly the display seems to lose connection and I will see a black screen with random blocks of colour and again the image being washed out when it sorts itself out.

Solving it is easy, I just go to Display Settings and switch off/on the HDR setting and then all is back to normal but that gets annoying quick.

:)

Jac70, Jun 4, 2019
  2. gamerk2 Win User

HDR fullscreen problems

Version: Windows 10 17134

GPU: NVIDIA 1080 Ti (Driver 397.31)

Display: LG OLED 55" B6P

Problem: Windows HDR implementation barely works properly. Here's a list of issues I've seen so far:

1: SDR applications that are not exclusive fullscreen start in HDR mode, distorting the colors. If an OS overlay [such as the volume overlay] come up, the display will go blank until the overlay dissapears.

2: SDR applications that are exclusive fullscreen go blank. From what I can see, my display is in SDR mode, so I'm guessing there's a mismatch between Windows trying to output HDR content and the display receiving it. [And no, the problem is on Windows
    end; the display can handle HDR just fine on other systems]

3: I've had a case where an SDR application, on exit, somehow resulted in the system HDR setting being disabled. I've also had another case where on exit the system is reporting its in HDR mode, but outputting SDR even on the desktop.

So in short: Windows is not managing HDR properly.

gamerk2, Jun 4, 2019
  3. (17763.1 and 18362.1)Play HDR apps and games option disapper when I set duplicate mode.

Hi Lin,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to get clarity on this issue and assist you with appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

1. What is the make and model of your computer?
    2. What is the make and model of your both monitors?
    3. As you have given multiple versions of Windows 10, is this issue occurring on multiple computers?

Not all displays are optimized for HDR. If you have two displays and move the HDR video onto a display that’s not optimized for HDR, you’ll get the appropriate standard dynamic range (SDR) as soon as new content starts to play.

To play streaming high dynamic range (HDR) video in Windows 10, your external display and Windows 10 PC needs to support HDR. To find the specifications for a specific PC or external display, visit the device manufacturer’s website.

It might be that one of your monitors doesn’t' support HDR, so I suggest you to refer
    Display requirements for HDR video in Windows 10 and check
    if your monitors support HDR.

You may also refer Stream HDR video on Windows 10 and
    HDR and WCG color settings in Windows 10 and check if this helps.

We're looking forward to your response.

Shafeeq_Khan, Jun 4, 2019
  4. HDR Issue - Playing games or fullscreen Youtube videos

Youtube fullscreen shows taskbar (Chrome)

That doesn't work either. Its not just Youtube that does this on. I play World of Warcraft and many other fullscreen games, and the toolbar is showing up over all of them. Its a huge pain!*Confused

VelvetDragonz, Jun 4, 2019
Thema:

HDR Issue - Playing games or fullscreen Youtube videos

1. HDR Issue - Playing games or fullscreen Youtube videos - Similar Threads - HDR Issue Playing

2. [HDR]Turn on the HDR when playing 4K HDR video

in Windows 10 Gaming
    [HDR]Turn on the HDR when playing 4K HDR video: I turn on the HDR when playing 4K HDR video, I found that the video image was overexposed. After suspending the video, it could be restored to normal. May I ask why this phenomenon occurs and is it normal?...
  3. [HDR]Turn on the HDR when playing 4K HDR video

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    [HDR]Turn on the HDR when playing 4K HDR video: I turn on the HDR when playing 4K HDR video, I found that the video image was overexposed. After suspending the video, it could be restored to normal. May I ask why this phenomenon occurs and is it normal?...
  4. HDR video not playing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDR video not playing: The hdr video streaming is supported and is turned on.But it doesnot stream hdr videos. Using Chrome right now and all the battery saving stuffs are turned off. How to fix this ?...
  5. HDR video not playing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HDR video not playing: The hdr video streaming is supported and is turned on.But it doesnot stream hdr videos. Using Chrome right now and all the battery saving stuffs are turned off. How to fix this ?...
  6. YouTube Videos are not Playing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    YouTube Videos are not Playing: [ATTACH] See the white space instead video. that's my problem guys. Yesterday Everything was fine but toady when I tried to play any video on YouTube this was happening also comment section doesn't get loaded. and its just happening with YouTube only, other video websites...
  7. HDR and fullscreen games on Windows 10 = Issues with notifications !

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    HDR and fullscreen games on Windows 10 = Issues with notifications !: Hello everyone, If someone from Microsoft could answer me, it would be super nice... I found a lot of topics with the same issue on the xbox and windows forums with no answer. Recently, I bought a brand new monitor with HDR. Everything is perfect except something: when I...
  8. Issues while playing videos on YouTube

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Issues while playing videos on YouTube: Whenever I try to watch videos on youtube, my laptop won't play them and just keep loading. Every time I try, the audio function stops working and then the video will play. I have ran the troubleshoot for the audio and it says it's fixed but then the video won't play again....
  9. Youtube videos will not play the video part

in Browsers and Email
    Youtube videos will not play the video part: When I try to watch videos on youtube, I only get the opening picture or a black screen. The audio plays fine. Is there something I need to reset? 96826
  10. BSOD/ Freeze When Playing Games or Watching Youtube Fullscreen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD/ Freeze When Playing Games or Watching Youtube Fullscreen: I've tried so many things to no avail. Finally came to my senses to post on a forum. 40871

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 crashes when playing videos in fullscreen