Windows 10: HDR monitor low brightness after exiting full screen SDR application

Discus and support HDR monitor low brightness after exiting full screen SDR application in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Good day all, Context:I have 3 identical monitors running in "Extended display" mode that support HDR. "Use HDR" is turned on in Windows Display... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by galaxyZ4, Feb 1, 2023.

1. galaxyZ4 Win User

HDR monitor low brightness after exiting full screen SDR application

Good day all, Context:I have 3 identical monitors running in "Extended display" mode that support HDR. "Use HDR" is turned on in Windows Display Settings, and "SDR content brightness" is set to 55.Issue:When I launch an application in full screen that doesn't support HDR thus runs in SDR, my monitor adapts and everything is fine. But when I'll exit the SDR application and I get back on my desktop, the "SDR content brightness" seems to resets back to 0 and my monitor turns as dim as it can get. For example, I'll launch Minecraft Java edition, play for a bit, then when I quit the game: my mo

:)

galaxyZ4, Feb 1, 2023

2. SDR content brightness revert to 0 after monitor HDR status change

I'm currently running windows 11 OS build 22000.282, using Odyssey G9 monitor from Samsung showing as LC49G95T in 'Settings-System-Display-HDR'.

After use HDR option turned on, my monitor blacked for a few seconds, then at the top left corner it shows 'DisplayPort1 (HDR)', then my screen slowly getting dimmer and dimmer (while I'm at desktop and only Settings opened). Changing SDR content brightness slider is indeed working, and I can make SDR content looks as bright as before HDR turned on. But if I try to launch a game doesn't support HDR or Auto HDR, for example Rainbow Six: Siege, my screen blacked few seconds and top left corner says 'DisplayPort1', my game looks normal as in SDR mode.

Then when I close the game, my screen blacked and it goes back to 'DisplayPort1 (HDR)', and slowly getting dimmer and dimmer, the brightness at this point is the same as the SDR content brightness slider in HDR settings moves all the way to 0.

When I check in the settings, the slider keeps at the spot last time I configured, but if I move it a little, the brightness changes to set value. This option is currently broken for me, as every time my monitor goes from non-HDR to HDR, I need to move the SDR content brightness slider again to make it work.

Tiger Schnee, Feb 1, 2023
  3. Windows 10 HDR & SDR

Hi i would like to know is it possible in windows 10 to watch a HDR content on a SDR monitor so it looks like a proper SDR content.

Because more and more movies is HDR and on my HDR tv it is all great even in windows playing HDR content AND SDR content on HDR screen works properly. Problem is when playing HDR content on normal pc monitor picture is way to dark contrast is all wrong.
    Yea i can fix it in some way in the players with the brightness and gamma sliders but it still doesnt look like the original sdr content.

I would like to fix this issue because soon al my video content will be in HDR but i am not always vieving this on HDR screen. Sometimes i would like to watch it on my phone or my pc or my friends house and in all those places with SDR screens looks way
    worse than a normal SDR content.

jursleglov, Feb 1, 2023
  4. S7z7g7 Win User

HDR-capable monitor becomes completely unresponsive when switching between SDR and HDR under certain conditions

I have the Alienware AW3423DW in HDR Peak 1000 mode. Here are the steps to replicate the issue:

The relevant system information is as follows:

• Windows 10 version 21H2
    • Nvidia GPU with GeForce Game Ready Driver version 528.02
    1. Power on computer with HDR already enabled in Windows settings from previous session. The computer will start in SDR mode but will switch to HDR as soon as it reaches the lock screen.

2. Launch an application that does not natively support HDR but which runs in exclusive fullscreen (e.g. a non-HDR supported game).

3. Tab out of the game and switch off HDR in Windows settings.

4. Monitor switches off and is completely unresponsive, after a few seconds the Windows "device disconnected" sound effect can be heard.

5. At this point, the only way to restore the monitor is to unplug and replug the power cable of the monitor. Restarting the PC or unplugging and replugging the display cable does not work.

This is how I have manually recreated the issue, but the way it has happened to me most often is by simply alt-tabbing out of an application while running in HDR mode. If the application being tabbed out from is particularly resource-demanding and results in the monitor spending a long time switching between HDR and SDR, then it will completely fail and switch off, becoming unusable.

I have already tried reinstalling my graphics driver which did not help. How can I determine which component (i.e. Operating system, GPU, Monitor) is the point of failure that is causing this problem?

S7z7g7, Feb 1, 2023
Thema:

1. HDR monitor low brightness after exiting full screen SDR application - Similar Threads - HDR monitor low

2. HDR monitor low brightness after exiting full screen SDR application

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDR monitor low brightness after exiting full screen SDR application: Good day all, Context:I have 3 identical monitors running in "Extended display" mode that support HDR. "Use HDR" is turned on in Windows Display Settings, and "SDR content brightness" is set to 55.Issue:When I launch an application in full screen that doesn't support HDR thus...
  3. HDR-capable monitor becomes completely unresponsive when switching between SDR and HDR...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDR-capable monitor becomes completely unresponsive when switching between SDR and HDR...: I have the Alienware AW3423DW in HDR Peak 1000 mode. Here are the steps to replicate the issue:The relevant system information is as follows:Windows 10 version 21H2Nvidia GPU with GeForce Game Ready Driver version 528.021. Power on computer with HDR already enabled in Windows...
  4. HDR-capable monitor becomes completely unresponsive when switching between SDR and HDR...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HDR-capable monitor becomes completely unresponsive when switching between SDR and HDR...: I have the Alienware AW3423DW in HDR Peak 1000 mode. Here are the steps to replicate the issue:The relevant system information is as follows:Windows 10 version 21H2Nvidia GPU with GeForce Game Ready Driver version 528.021. Power on computer with HDR already enabled in Windows...
  5. HDR-capable monitor becomes completely unresponsive when switching between SDR and HDR...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. SDR content brightness revert to 0 after monitor HDR status change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SDR content brightness revert to 0 after monitor HDR status change: I'm currently running windows 11 OS build 22000.282, using Odyssey G9 monitor from Samsung showing as LC49G95T in 'Settings-System-Display-HDR'.After use HDR option turned on, my monitor blacked for a few seconds, then at the top left corner it shows 'DisplayPort1 HDR', then...
  7. SDR content brightness revert to 0 after monitor HDR status change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SDR content brightness revert to 0 after monitor HDR status change: I'm currently running windows 11 OS build 22000.282, using Odyssey G9 monitor from Samsung showing as LC49G95T in 'Settings-System-Display-HDR'.After use HDR option turned on, my monitor blacked for a few seconds, then at the top left corner it shows 'DisplayPort1 HDR', then...
  8. HDR SDR Brightness Balance - Minimum value is still too bright

in Windows 10 Customization
    HDR SDR Brightness Balance - Minimum value is still too bright: When trying to keep HDR enabled on my monitor I need to ensure the SDR content still looks good.Changing the HDR / SDR Brightness Balance slider in Windows HD Color Settings helps.However I move the slider all the way to the left / 0 but the SDR brightness is still too...
  9. How to best watch HDR content on a sdr monitor (or fake HDR)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to best watch HDR content on a sdr monitor (or fake HDR): nowadays most 4k releases are easier to get in HDR but my monitor is SDR with a fake HDR mode, I can activate it in windows if that helps, but is there any video player that can handle it good? (it has tone mapping) submitted by /u/Lower_Fan [link] [comments]...
  10. Windows 10 HDR & SDR

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 HDR & SDR: Hi i would like to know is it possible in windows 10 to watch a HDR content on a SDR monitor so it looks like a proper SDR content. Because more and more movies is HDR and on my HDR tv it is all great even in windows playing HDR content AND SDR content on HDR screen works...