Windows 10: HDR on HDR monitor causes issue on secondary, non-HDR monitor

Discus and support HDR on HDR monitor causes issue on secondary, non-HDR monitor in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have an Aorus AD27QD HDR monitor as my primary display and an ultrawide 34UM88-P Non-HDR as my secondary. If HDR is enabled in windows and I go to a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by PDRHDR, Dec 22, 2019.

1. PDRHDR Win User

HDR on HDR monitor causes issue on secondary, non-HDR monitor

I have an Aorus AD27QD HDR monitor as my primary display and an ultrawide 34UM88-P Non-HDR as my secondary. If HDR is enabled in windows and I go to a full screen video on the non-HDR monitor after a few seconds it will flicker blue then become severely washed out. Coming out of full screen fixes this. If HDR is not enabled full screen shows the colors perfectly normally.

Secondarily, with windows HDR on on the Aorus, the colors dim pretty drastically. HDR content great but anything that isnt HDR is dim enough to make me question if my brightness is turned down. Its not, its 90/100. The white of a plain browser window seems so dim its nearly grey. I also tested this on what I know is a particularly vibrant non-HDR Youtube Video. HDR on? Terrible and muted. HDR off? Bright and vibrant.

I have played with in-monitor settings, nvidia control panel, factory reset of monitor, basically everything I can think of. Everything points to it being a windows issue.

I also tried out the suggestions from this post. And it pointed me to this set of OS release notes which didnt solve my issue either.

I could really use some help because I am really feeling like I wasted my money on this monitor.

PC:

i5 7600k

GTX 1080ti

16GB 3000Hz Corsair RAM

Windows, CPU and GPU on latest drivers available.

Monitors:

LG 34UM88-P HDMI

Aorus AD27QD DisplayPort

:)

PDRHDR, Dec 22, 2019

2. HDR monitor BAD HDR colours.

I have a Samsung C32HG70 2560x1440p 144hz HDR monitor with a Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti connect with displayport 1.4 but with all HDR games the colours are lesser bright and vibrant with windows HDR on or off, and in-game HDR on. The monitor go's in HDR mode wen
    i select HDR. What is the HDR problem here and how can i slove this HDR problem? Even SDR have better colours.

Windows version 1709

Nvidia driver 388.13

Nvidia advanced colours default > 10 bit RGB full.

dxdiag shows HDR is supported

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Device Type: Full Device

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1B06&SUBSYS_36021462&REV_A1

Device Status: 0180200A [DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER]

Device Problem Code: No Problem

Driver Problem Code: Unknown

Display Memory: 19294 MB

Dedicated Memory: 11132 MB

Shared Memory: 8162 MB

Current Mode: 2560 x 1440 (32 bit) (144Hz)

HDR Support: Supported

Display Topology: Internal

Display Color Space: DXGI_COLOR_SPACE_RGB_FULL_G2084_NONE_P2020

Color Primaries: Red(0.679211,0.314953), Green(0.269055,0.667492), Blue(0.152844,0.062023), White Point(0.313977,0.329602)

Display Luminance: Min Luminance = 0.049110, Max Luminance = 603.665771, MaxFullFrameLuminance = 351.250427

Monitor Name: CHG7_C32HG7xQQ (DP)

Monitor Model: C32HG7x

Monitor Id: SAM0E14

Native Mode: 2560 x 1440(p) (143.998Hz)

Output Type: Displayport External

Monitor Advanced Color Capabilities: BT2020RGB BT2020YCC Eotf2084Supported AdvancedColorSupported AdvancedColorEnabled

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Performance & system failures

WitcherNoonwraith, Dec 22, 2019
  3. Jacob816 Win User
    Setting up HDR on external monitor

Hi just got an HDR capable monitor, a
    U2718q
    , and am using an HDR capable GPU (GeForce 1070). However, Windows 10 doesn't seem to recognize it as an HDR capable display. I followed the guide

HDR and advanced color settings in Windows 10
    , and it says that HDR is not supported. Any idea how to fix that? It's an HDR capable monitor, hooked up via DisplayPort to an HDR capable GPU. I'm running Windows 10 Pro Version 1709, OS Build 16299.64 (just
    updated it today), and also have the latest graphics card driver.

Any ideas what to do?

Jacob816, Dec 22, 2019
  4. rmilyard Win User

Windows 10 and Samsung CHG70 32” HDR monitor

I have the lastest version of Windows 10 fully updated as of today and current version of Nvidia drivers. I have SLI Asus Strix 1080 cards.

The monitor is 2560x1440 @ 144hz with HDR. I can enable HDR in display settings. Monitor shows DisplayPort HDR.

So when I try play World of Warcraft and as soon as i click mouse button the display blacks out and goes to saying DisplayPort and not HDR. Colors are at this point messed up. If I alt-tab out and back into game its fine till click mouse again. If I turn
    off HDR in display settings it seems fine. If WoW does not support it why does it start with on? Not sure how to fix this.

Next issue. With HDR on again and run Resident Evil 7 which I believe supports HDR the option in game settings for HDR is greyed out.

Anyone have suggestions?

rmilyard, Dec 22, 2019
Thema:

1. HDR on HDR monitor causes issue on secondary, non-HDR monitor - Similar Threads - HDR HDR monitor

2. HDR Will not remain on my Secondary Extended Monitor Even though both are HDR Capable....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDR Will not remain on my Secondary Extended Monitor Even though both are HDR Capable....: Good Day,I was browsing through the posts and have been working on this issue for MONTHS - It sounds almost IDENTICAL to the Question Posted at HDR cant be turned on with dual monitors. help please - Microsoft Community however this thread is locked/closed and there appears...
  3. HDR Will not remain on my Secondary Extended Monitor Even though both are HDR Capable....

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HDR Will not remain on my Secondary Extended Monitor Even though both are HDR Capable....: Good Day,I was browsing through the posts and have been working on this issue for MONTHS - It sounds almost IDENTICAL to the Question Posted at HDR cant be turned on with dual monitors. help please - Microsoft Community however this thread is locked/closed and there appears...
  4. HDR issues with multiple monitors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDR issues with multiple monitors: I have a gigabyte ultra wide 34" 1440p monitor i replaced a dell 24" 1980x1200 with. I have two more of the dells that i used to use in 3 monitor wide eyefinity/surround for gaming. I wanted to take advantage of the full quality of the new display so i have been attempting to...
  5. HDR issues with multiple monitors

HDR issues with multiple monitors: I have a gigabyte ultra wide 34" 1440p monitor i replaced a dell 24" 1980x1200 with. I have two more of the dells that i used to use in 3 monitor wide eyefinity/surround for gaming. I wanted to take advantage of the full quality of the new display so i have been attempting to...
  6. Monitor Scaling Issues - HDR Cable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor Scaling Issues - HDR Cable: Sometimes when I switch between my laptop and monitor, the monitor screen will adjust to a size like this:Above is the annoying scaling. Below is how it usually is:I'm wondering how I can get it back to the normal size through settings on the laptop. Usually to get it back to...
  7. Monitor Scaling Issues - HDR Cable

Monitor Scaling Issues - HDR Cable: Sometimes when I switch between my laptop and monitor, the monitor screen will adjust to a size like this:Above is the annoying scaling. Below is how it usually is:I'm wondering how I can get it back to the normal size through settings on the laptop. Usually to get it back to...
  8. How to best watch HDR content on a sdr monitor (or fake HDR)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to best watch HDR content on a sdr monitor (or fake HDR): nowadays most 4k releases are easier to get in HDR but my monitor is SDR with a fake HDR mode, I can activate it in windows if that helps, but is there any video player that can handle it good? (it has tone mapping) submitted by /u/Lower_Fan [link] [comments]...
  9. Help with HDR on external monitor

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help with HDR on external monitor: I'm not sure if this is the right place to post but I figured I'd give it a shot. So I bought a new monitor that supports HDR. My laptop has a gpu that also supports HDR, I made sure to check. But when the monitor is connected to my laptop(through HDMI) there is no option to...
  10. HDR To monitor thats not support HDR flag in the EDID handshake

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDR To monitor thats not support HDR flag in the EDID handshake: I have small HDR Monitor from Atomos. Sad its not possible Unfortunately, the Ninja Flame was mainly developed for use as an On-Camera Monitor/Recorder, so it's geared to work with HDMI Video Signals that just get fed out of a Camera without the need of there being...