Windows 10: HDR ruined my desktop

Discus and support HDR ruined my desktop in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Ok so this is not the first time I have had this issue but its the first time it has persisted a restore. For some unknown cause, enabling HDR in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Lemonark943, Sep 20, 2020.

1. HDR ruined my desktop

Ok so this is not the first time I have had this issue but its the first time it has persisted a restore.

For some unknown cause, enabling HDR in windows warps all images on my computer. It almost looks like the gamma has been jacked way up. Ok no biggy, just use hdr for content only and turn it off right?

Wrong. The issue gets even worse if I turn HDR off and I am unable to restore the quality of any image on my computer after.

I have somewhat determined this isnt caused by nvida driver issues or my display. Without my gpu installed and with a different display the issue remains. I have also tinkered endlessly with display color and profile settings as well as the windows display calibration. Nothing works.

This is also system wide which wont make sense later but making a new user does not solve the problem.

The last time I hit this problem, I went through hours and hours of troubleshooting until I hooked up an ssd with a different windows install and evenything was fine so I decided to wipe my box and move on.

I tried the same thing after not being able to find the cause, only whatever setting that is causinig the issue must somehow syc to my shared theme because after I signed into my microsoft account the issue immemdiatly returned.

This is seriously driving me insane. I really enjoy HDR but I could live without it, but being permenty stuck with this distorted mess just wont work. Crazy thing is, only a few months ago did the first instasnce of this start. I used to be able to swap between hdr content fine.

Any help or insight into what might be the cause will be greatly appreciated.

:)

Lemonark943, Sep 20, 2020

2. Windows HDR has ruined my ability to watch movies

Windows HDR insists on turning on now after the Fall update. The colors are horrible and it has completely ruined my ability to watch HDR movies on my tv. It is a disgusting fail on the part of Microsoft and I couldn't be more upset about it. I use
    MadVR and was very happy with how it worked before Microsoft felt that they had to step in and force their version of HDR on me.

ChristopherST, Sep 20, 2020
  3. Thagstrom Win User
    Thagstrom, Sep 20, 2020
  4. HDR ruined my desktop

HDR streaming not turning on.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand the concern that the HDR streaming is crashing in your laptop. In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

• What is the Windows 10 version and Build installed? (Type
      winver in Windows search/Run command)
    • What is the make and model of the PC?

However, we would like you to update the display/graphics driver to the latest version and also suggest you to refer this article and let us know the status of the issue:

Stream HDR video on Windows 10

We await your response,

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator.

Aditya_Roy, Sep 20, 2020
Thema:

HDR ruined my desktop

1. HDR ruined my desktop - Similar Threads - HDR ruined desktop

2. HDR and black lines on desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDR and black lines on desktop: I am experiencing weird bug when HDR is enabled and I am playing game that supports HDR and runs in windowed / borderless windowed mode.If the game shows something with black colors - literally anything, it could be black bars in the cat scenes, it could be map grid or other...
  3. HDR and black lines on desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HDR and black lines on desktop: I am experiencing weird bug when HDR is enabled and I am playing game that supports HDR and runs in windowed / borderless windowed mode.If the game shows something with black colors - literally anything, it could be black bars in the cat scenes, it could be map grid or other...
  4. My pc is ruined

in Windows 10 Customization
    My pc is ruined: My 1080ti pc broke because of the black screen with only cursor update. I'm genuinely pissed off. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-pc-is-ruined/2e91e819-7148-4e7e-910c-38fdeffcf3ac
  5. Both of my win10 desktops have HDR and can stream HDR content, but when I select a...

Both of my win10 desktops have HDR and can stream HDR content, but when I select a...: Both of my win10 desktops have HDR and can stream HDR content, but when I select a streaming service that supports this, I only see the HD stream Using google chrome, firefox, and other browsers; services amazon prime video, Disney plus, and Hulu.My internet is 300mbps...
  6. HDR on my pc

HDR on my pc: i have hdr on my pc but my pc is 1080p i'm not sure how to check if it supports higher resolution, though my tv monitor is 4k hdr, i switched on the hdr on my pc, it was fine but then today my screen started to dim and some webpages i went on were flickering a little bit, so...
  7. Update ruined my computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update ruined my computer: I'm so frustrated. My computer updated on the 14th, I believe and it made all my files, bookmarks, passwords, settings,n lightroom presets, etc disappear. I've restarted a billion times, I've tried to uninstall the update, I've tried to restore to a previous backup several...
  8. Enable HDR in games but not Desktop?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Enable HDR in games but not Desktop?: Is there a flag anywhere that would allow HDR in games without enabling the desktop HDR mode? Destiny 2 is able to go into HDR mode without me turning it on the destop. But other games like Modern Warfare 2019 and Red Dead Redemption 2 don't even have the option unless I turn...
  9. Windows 10 has completely ruined my Desktop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 has completely ruined my Desktop: Okay so my first experience with windows 10 was a free upgrade from 8.1 on my laptop. It upgraded quickly and has worked with no issues, and I quickly fell in love in windows 10's new features and look as I do most of my school and side work on my laptop. Because of this,...
  10. Desktop Ruined After Reboot and Other Problems

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Ruined After Reboot and Other Problems: I have no idea what happened, but now, my desktop has NO icons, and if I click on the Start Button, what I get is the desktop theme with the start button menus, etc., superimposed on the theme. Just found something else: I clicked on the "minimize to desktop button" while...