Windows 10: HDR still not supported on Windows in 2020.

Discus and support HDR still not supported on Windows in 2020. in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I'm posting parts of a discussion I've had on the DirectX Discord channel, because still needs to be addressed by Microsoft... I'm on 1909. I have an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Gavin.Williams, Jun 24, 2020.

1. HDR still not supported on Windows in 2020.

I'm posting parts of a discussion I've had on the DirectX Discord channel, because still needs to be addressed by Microsoft...

I'm on 1909. I have an RTX 2060 and an AOC Agon AG322QC4 which supports HDR400. And if I enable Settings / System / Display / Play HDR games and apps. What I get if any overlay is activated in game is a black screen overlay includes TitleBar, TaskBar and VolumeDisplay, presumably also any popups and GameBar. In NVidia Control Panel I have tested Output color depth: 8 pbc and 10 bpc. The results are the same.

My own UWP game doesn't have any issue Running debug in VS, it uses SharpDX Dx11.1 I'm using 8 bit color 8 bits per channel. So I can change volume and bring up TaskBar no propblem. But If I have Minecraft or No Man's Sky open, I can't move the mouse to the edge of the screen or change the volume without the screen going black for a second or two. Audio is maintained throughout the blackouts.

HDR itself seems to be working, it's what happens when an app overlay is triggered that's the issue. That's why I mention UWP, because I believe both games mentioned are UWP games and force overlays onto the fullscreen experience yuck. I believe NMS utilizes HDR, I don't know about MC, but I assume it does.

I'm not sure who's fault this is ... Is it Microsoft HDR Implementation? What's Windows trying to do when overlay is displayed in app? Is it trying to switch color modes causing the device to reset. Is it my display not quite up to spec? Is it NVidia not feeding frames to the display correctly? Could be the display going black and not the GPU.

I have noticed this a bit too - those items are rendered in SDR and if your display goes from full HDR to mixed SDR/HDR it seems to take a few frames to make the switch.

I just tested both MC & NMS in both fullscreen and windowed modes, and there is no issue in windowed mode - because they must be running in SDR in that case. I can confirm NMS switches out of HDR when in Windowed mode. So you seem to be correct that Windows is running in SDR and although UWP fullscreen is not exclusive, it does actually run in a different colour mode when in fullscreen - that's something I didn't know, I assumed both desktop and game were always in the same mode. I assumed Windows was running in HDR as well. That certainly explains the issue.

I see 2 fixes:
    1. Windows should run in HDR when HDR is selected.
    2. App overlays should respect the apps colour mode and match it.

^^ This is how your forums insist upon pasting text from Discord. zzzz. Do you provide a way to adjust text color? No.

I'm seeing feedback provided to Microsoft into last year regarding this issue. So the Windows team must know about it, surely, but I haven't found any acknowledgement from Microsoft online regarding the issue.
    [2:14 AM]
    The issue effectively means I've payed $600+ dollars for a display that can't use HDR. And on a side note I also can't use adaptive sync because NVidia won't unlock GSync compatibility for this particular display. That's a complicated issue too. So two important features don't work - it kinda sucks.edited
    [2:16 AM]
    It's actually a pretty good display for the price, other similar displays are $1000+ here in Australia. But HDR and adaptive sync just haven't been worked out by the various stake-holders.

PS. Please fix your forums so that we can adjust text color properly. Also, when I press enter and the caret is at the bottom of the textbox it will actually scroll down out of view so I have to manually move down with the arrow keys to see where the caret is. Web tech continues to prove itself as the best choice for desktop!

:)

Gavin.Williams, Jun 24, 2020

2. HDR won't enable!

Thanks for your suggestion. I lowered the refresh rate to 30 HZ and still could not toggle the HDR switch to on position.

I also checked the play back with powerdvd17. My projector information recognizes 3840 x 2160 p 60 Hz with HDR 10 BT 2020 when I play a 4K HDR source file

Thanks

Rajiv Gupta (rgupta), Jun 24, 2020
  3. skum-cat Win User
    HDR mode and color profiles

Hello

I have a calibrated ICC profile for normal sRGB mode. When i switch to HDR mode, it still using the calibrated profile, and giving weird colors and white balance.

I have tried to add a Rec.2020 HDR profile to ICC-profile (Advance color) list in color management. But I can´t use it at standard colors in HDR mode. Nothing happens when i try to applied it.

So to be clear:

In normal mode I want to use calibrated icc profile for sRGB.

And in HDR mode, using the standard REC.2020 icc profile.

skum-cat, Jun 24, 2020
  4. HDR still not supported on Windows in 2020.

HDR: not supported

so if (HDR: not supported) that mean my computer is broken and i have to fix it.

Pham QuangDuy, Jun 24, 2020
Thema:

HDR still not supported on Windows in 2020.

1. HDR still not supported on Windows in 2020. - Similar Threads - HDR still supported

2. HDR is not supported

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDR is not supported: that is my laptop Legion 5-15IMH05H Lenovo - Type 81Y6 I had HDR working i rested my pc now is not supported. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdr-is-not-supported/183bc407-5d1e-4f8d-aaa4-338b6a1821f6
  3. HDR is not supported

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HDR is not supported: that is my laptop Legion 5-15IMH05H Lenovo - Type 81Y6 I had HDR working i rested my pc now is not supported. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdr-is-not-supported/183bc407-5d1e-4f8d-aaa4-338b6a1821f6
  4. HDR not supported

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDR not supported: Hello,I recently changed both my computer and my monitor, both of which are compatible with HDR10 Technology. However, on Windows 11, it says that I can't use HDR because it's not supported. In the settings of the monitor itself, HDR appears as 'auto'. When opening DXDIAG, it...
  5. HDR not supported

HDR not supported: Hello,I recently changed both my computer and my monitor, both of which are compatible with HDR10 Technology. However, on Windows 11, it says that I can't use HDR because it's not supported. In the settings of the monitor itself, HDR appears as 'auto'. When opening DXDIAG, it...
  6. HDR not supported

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDR not supported: I have two HDR monitors but recently I found HDR settings say unsupported , why is that ? Windows 11 ProI have Windows 11 updated to latest and AMD GPU updated to latest. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdr-not-supported/4b1207a0-26e0-497c-a7af-27ac276a606f
  7. HDR not supported

HDR not supported: I have two HDR monitors but recently I found HDR settings say unsupported , why is that ? Windows 11 ProI have Windows 11 updated to latest and AMD GPU updated to latest. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdr-not-supported/4b1207a0-26e0-497c-a7af-27ac276a606f
  8. HDR support for windows 11

HDR support for windows 11: I search the forum and there are many questions about HDR but I could not find the solution of my issue.I have LG 34WP65C-B that is capable of HDR10. When go to System>Display>HDR. I get Play streaming HDR video not supported, Use HDR not supported. But when I run DxDiag I...
  9. Is HDR Support Really Still This Bad On Windows?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is HDR Support Really Still This Bad On Windows?: Just got a new Dell XPS 13 2 in 1 with the HDR 4k display, loving the machine so far. But ran into an odd issue, and after testing I think Windows (or maybe Intel GPU drivers) are to blame. I enabled HDR and immediately I started getting weird artifacts, flashes, static...
  10. HDR: not supported

in Windows 10 Customization
    HDR: not supported: hello. My computer can not use HDMI when i reinstall windows 10 and i want to know why that happen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdr-not-supported/43e886f3-86db-435d-8eae-982efb43bfb0

Users found this page by searching for:

1. advancecolor notsupported