Windows 10: HDR vs. typical images - All HDR images look wrong on my non-HDR screen.

Discus and support HDR vs. typical images - All HDR images look wrong on my non-HDR screen. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Why are screenshots of HDR content all washed out and oddly colored on regular non-HDR screens?I assume there are techniques to map the color spaces,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by EternalStudent07, May 27, 2022.

1. HDR vs. typical images - All HDR images look wrong on my non-HDR screen.

Why are screenshots of HDR content all washed out and oddly colored on regular non-HDR screens?I assume there are techniques to map the color spaces, to make them look vaguely similar. I know there are levels of brightness my screen won't reach, and ranges of color... But these look like apples and oranges. Or sun faded pictures vs. brand new pictures.Attaching an example where the HDR image looks faded and dull. Both are 24bit png images. These look wrong in both Firefox latest release 100.0.2 and the built in Windows 10 File Explorer thumbnails.The SDR image is vibrant with green an

:)

EternalStudent07, May 27, 2022
  2. PDRHDR Win User

HDR on HDR monitor causes issue on secondary, non-HDR monitor

I have an Aorus AD27QD (HDR) monitor as my primary display and an ultrawide 34UM88-P (Non-HDR) as my secondary. If HDR is enabled in windows and I go to a full screen video on the non-HDR monitor after a few seconds it will flicker blue then become severely
    washed out. Coming out of full screen fixes this. If HDR is not enabled full screen shows the colors perfectly normally.

Secondarily, with windows HDR on on the Aorus, the colors dim pretty drastically. HDR content great but anything that isnt HDR is dim enough to make me question if my brightness is turned down. (Its not, its 90/100). The white of a plain browser window
    seems so dim its nearly grey. I also tested this on what I know is a particularly vibrant (non-HDR) . HDR on? Terrible and muted. HDR off? Bright and vibrant.

I have played with in-monitor settings, nvidia control panel, factory reset of monitor, basically everything I can think of. Everything points to it being a windows issue.

I also tried out the suggestions from this post. And it pointed me to this
    set of OS release notes
    which didnt solve my issue either.

I could really use some help because I am really feeling like I wasted my money on this monitor.

PC:

i5 7600k

GTX 1080ti

16GB 3000Hz Corsair RAM

Windows, CPU and GPU on latest drivers available.

Monitors:

LG 34UM88-P (HDMI)

Aorus AD27QD (DisplayPort)

PDRHDR, May 27, 2022
  3. Thagstrom Win User
    Thagstrom, May 27, 2022
  4. HDR vs. typical images - All HDR images look wrong on my non-HDR screen.

Screenshot functionality seems to fail when one of two screens is in HDR mode

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134

Geforce 1050 Ti driver 418.91

I have one screen in 1920x1080@144Hz (ASUS VG248QE) and a second screen in 3840x2160@60Hz (BenQ PD2700U, 4K).

HDR is enabled on the 4K screen.

Problem statement:

When using the screenshot function that I've demonstrated with Snip, the image colours on the HDR screen are badly affected.

Evidence:

The demonstration image shows a reference PNG image (Kodak Image 08) on Internet Explorer being shown on both screens. The HDR screen holds the right side of the image.

The same result is shown with other screenshot applications (e.g. Greenshot).

The issue is not present when using just the HDR screen.

Question:

It appears that the screenshot functionality cannot handle the difference between HDR and non-HDR displays and treats the HDR pixels as non-HDR, losing colour information. I'd guess this is a bug and suggest that the screenshot methods should default to
    the HDR image and translate non-HDR pixels to HDR versions.

Image below.

HDR vs. typical images - All HDR images look wrong on my non-HDR screen. [​IMG]

AgentMyth_SL, May 27, 2022
Thema:

HDR vs. typical images - All HDR images look wrong on my non-HDR screen.

1. HDR vs. typical images - All HDR images look wrong on my non-HDR screen. - Similar Threads - HDR typical images

2. HDR

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDR: Windows 11Red dead redemption 2 Good work leaving HDR on when stop playing RDR2Worse HDR experience than in windows 10. Windows 11 is so cool thank you. So cool im considering changing back to windows 10is Windows 12 already in development i wanna know it might be usable at...
  3. Windows HDR and HDR certifications

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows HDR and HDR certifications: In my laptop display settings I have HDR capability however with the Sony HDR Bravia X9055RJ television I use as a monitor it tells me the HDR certification is missing. I purchased this TV directly from Sony so I contacted, or rather was contacted by, Sony support who told me...
  4. HDR vs. typical images - All HDR images look wrong on my non-HDR screen.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDR vs. typical images - All HDR images look wrong on my non-HDR screen.: Why are screenshots of HDR content all washed out and oddly colored on regular non-HDR screens?I assume there are techniques to map the color spaces, to make them look vaguely similar. I know there are levels of brightness my screen won't reach, and ranges of color... But...
  5. HDR vs. typical images - All HDR images look wrong on my non-HDR screen.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HDR vs. typical images - All HDR images look wrong on my non-HDR screen.: Why are screenshots of HDR content all washed out and oddly colored on regular non-HDR screens?I assume there are techniques to map the color spaces, to make them look vaguely similar. I know there are levels of brightness my screen won't reach, and ranges of color... But...
  6. HDR

in Windows 10 Customization
    HDR: Whenever I try to play a game in full screen my HDR will turn off even though it used to run perfectly fine in full screen with HDR. I have the predator 4K monitor 3840 x 2160 120 hz refresh rate system specs AMD Ryzen 9 5950X AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT I am really not sure how to...
  7. hdr

hdr: Hdr is off but it comes on automaticly and starts messing up video play back. I dont care for hdr. i want to delete it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdr/65a19a4f-777c-42f7-81cc-53fd256b43b4
  8. HDR button is disabled but hdr is on

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDR button is disabled but hdr is on: [ATTACH] hello, how can i disable permanently hdr from windows? it turns on every time i fire up call of duty. I have a freesync2 monitor, this is a problem only when i select "extended" from freesync monitor option, if i select "standard" there are no problem, but...
  9. HDR

HDR: desi am monitor HDR nu pot activa Utiilzarea HDR. Adica desi incerc sa mut cursorul Dezactivat pe Activat acesta nu se mentine si revine in Dezactivat https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdr/8dd55d8b-2512-4d63-a685-4485b457868b
  10. HDR on HDR monitor causes issue on secondary, non-HDR monitor

HDR on HDR monitor causes issue on secondary, non-HDR monitor: I have an Aorus AD27QD HDR monitor as my primary display and an ultrawide 34UM88-P Non-HDR as my secondary. If HDR is enabled in windows and I go to a full screen video on the non-HDR monitor after a few seconds it will flicker blue then become severely washed out. Coming...