Windows 10: HDR with dual duplicate displays doesn't work, only with extended

Discus and support HDR with dual duplicate displays doesn't work, only with extended in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have 2 displays, one with HDR support and one without it. When I set them as extended displays on windows, I can turn on HDR for the display... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by THENOAMAN, Sep 2, 2020.

1. THENOAMAN Win User

HDR with dual duplicate displays doesn't work, only with extended

I have 2 displays, one with HDR support and one without it.

When I set them as extended displays on windows, I can turn on HDR for the display supporting it, but if i choose to duplicate the displays, I can't do it and when I enter windows HD color settings, it now says it doesn't support HDR.

Extended:

HDR with dual duplicate displays doesn't work, only with extended 152ed652-4532-470b-8ca4-229a9b957111?upload=true.jpg

Duplicate:

HDR with dual duplicate displays doesn't work, only with extended ac603823-7c4b-44f7-9ef8-2c6765b2c280?upload=true.png :

Is there a way to fix this?

:)

THENOAMAN, Sep 2, 2020

2. HDR on duplicate displays in Windows 10

Dear Greg,

Thanks for your answer. Sorry for my late reply. I posted the question and then was away for a few days and forgot to check for answers.

Setting the resolution of the monitors separately doesn't seem to fix the issue. The HDR option is still not available.

I did some more searching and found this article from Microsoft suggesting that it may not be possible to have HDR on two duplicated displays at the same time.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4040263/windows-10-hdr-advanced-color-settings

"When you first connect an external display to a laptop, Windows will duplicate your desktop on both displays by default. However, HDR isn’t supported in this configuration. To view HDR content on the external HDR monitor
    or TV, extend your desktop across both displays."

I'm connecting two displays to a desktop PC, but I imagine the same rules apply there as well. It's strange that Windows doesn't support this. There doesn't seem to be any technical reason why it wouldn't work.

yoshimitsuhiro, Sep 2, 2020
  3. HDR on duplicate displays in Windows 10

Hi. I've been trying for weeks now unsuccessfully to activate HDR on two monitors with duplicate display on Windows 10. Both monitors are HDR capable. If I select only one of the displays or extend the displays in Window's display settings, HDR is available,
    but as soon as I choose "duplicate these displays", the HDR option disappears. Is this a known missing feature in Windows 10 or am I doing something wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

yoshimitsuhiro, Sep 2, 2020
  4. Naresh_K Win User

Unable to get HDR on external display

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft community forum.

With Windows HD Color in Windows 10, you get the most of out your high dynamic range (HDR) TV or PC display provided the computer and the TV meets the
    requirements. Make sure the
    display drivers are up to date and then follow the steps mentioned in the article:
    High Dynamic Range (HDR) on Intel Graphics and
    HDR and WCG color settings in Windows 10.

I would also like to know if you are using extended mode or duplicate mode while projecting. If you are using duplicate mode, please try switching to extended mode and see if that helps.

Regards,

Naresh_K, Sep 2, 2020
Thema:

1. HDR with dual duplicate displays doesn't work, only with extended - Similar Threads - HDR dual duplicate

2. My displays will only duplicate, they won't extend

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My displays will only duplicate, they won't extend: I have bought a new PC. My old machine had two HDMI ports so in the past I connected my two screens one to each HDMI port and could extend the displays. The new machine only has one hdmi and a DVI port so I have connected one screen to the HDMI port and the other to the DVI...
  3. My displays will only duplicate, they won't extend

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My displays will only duplicate, they won't extend: I have bought a new PC. My old machine had two HDMI ports so in the past I connected my two screens one to each HDMI port and could extend the displays. The new machine only has one hdmi and a DVI port so I have connected one screen to the HDMI port and the other to the DVI...
  4. External Screen works only with extend, but not with duplicate.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Screen works only with extend, but not with duplicate.: Hi thereWhen I connect my device 'Win 11' to the Samsung Monitor, it works only with extend, but not with the duplicate.could you help, please?Best regardsMohammed Ghaleb...
  5. External Screen works only with extend, but not with duplicate.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Screen works only with extend, but not with duplicate.: Hi thereWhen I connect my device 'Win 11' to the Samsung Monitor, it works only with extend, but not with the duplicate.could you help, please?Best regardsMohammed Ghaleb...
  6. HDR in duplicate display

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDR in duplicate display: https://amp.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/flf7ln/why_exactly_isnt_hdr_supported_for/ Basically same question. How come I can enable HDR on my monitors if they are extended, but I lose that function if it's duplicated. submitted by /u/yjamal01 [link] [comments]...
  7. Duplicate displays with HDR

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Duplicate displays with HDR: Hi. I'm posting this because I see very little info and documentation on the subject and I'd like to debunk this.As of now, it is not possible to duplicate a display and keep HDR on both. Even though both displays are HDR capable.I take there is no progress on the subject...
  8. "Duplicate these display" doesn't work but "Display only on 1/2" does?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "Duplicate these display" doesn't work but "Display only on 1/2" does?: I would like to mirror my pc to my tv using a hdmi. But when i select the option "Duplicate these display" in the display setting i get the pc screen flash with the message asking if i want to keep the changes and my tv emit a crackle sound. But my tv screen stays on No...
  9. HDR on duplicate displays in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    HDR on duplicate displays in Windows 10: Hi. I've been trying for weeks now unsuccessfully to activate HDR on two monitors with duplicate display on Windows 10. Both monitors are HDR capable. If I select only one of the displays or extend the displays in Window's display settings, HDR is available, but as soon as I...
  10. Dual monitors - extend works, duplicate does not.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dual monitors - extend works, duplicate does not.: I have a Windows 10 PC, with two displays, a 1080p Lenovo monitor and a Samsung UHD TV. In settings, when I set the monitor to Monitor 1 (Samsung), the display is fine. When I set the monitor to Monitor 2 (Lenovo), the display is fine. When I set displays to Extend, both...