Windows 10: HDR10 content from PC not triggering the HDR settings on my display

Discus and support HDR10 content from PC not triggering the HDR settings on my display in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Other than the Windows HD Color settings, is there something else I need to check for the computer to trigger the HDR display mode on my television?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by poit57, Oct 3, 2020.

1. poit57 Win User

HDR10 content from PC not triggering the HDR settings on my display

Other than the Windows HD Color settings, is there something else I need to check for the computer to trigger the HDR display mode on my television?

I have a PC connected to a TCL 5-Series Roku television in my living room that supports both HDR10 and Dolby Vision. The HDR features work as expected with my PS4 Pro, Xbox One S, and Roku apps, but I am having trouble getting both HDR and SDR content to display on my television correctly at the same time from my computer.

The computer is Running Windows 10 version 2004 with all available updates and has a Nvidia GTX 1050 graphics card with current drivers. I have followed all the suggestions onthis page.

With Windows HD Color turned off, everything is sent to the television as SDR which is to be expected. When I enable the HD Color settings, HDR content appears with the correct colors, while all SDR content is washed out, even after adjusting the brightness slider on the Windows HD Color Settings page. The television has different display presets for SDR, HDR10, and Dolby Vision. The HDR modes are triggered automatically by the detected video signal, but no matter what changes I've tried from the PC, the television remains in SDR mode.

I can tell that the television is not detecting an HDR signal because the available preset configurations change depending on SDR, HDR10 or Dolby Vision content detected. For SDR content, the presets available are Movie, Normal, Vivid, Sports, or Low Power. When HDR content is detected, the available display modes change to Dark, Normal, and Bright with an HDR or Dolby Vision logo depending on the HDR type detected.

Both the Windows HD Color settings and the DirectX Diagnostic tool indicate that my display is capable of HDR.

:)

poit57, Oct 3, 2020
  2. Brink Win User

Samsung Expands HDR10+ Ecosystem With Wider Content Offering

Source: Samsung Expands HDR10+ Ecosystem With Wider Content Offering – Samsung Global Newsroom

Brink, Oct 3, 2020
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    HDR content not being displayed properly

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are unable to get the exact HDR content displayed on the computer.

I suggest you to refer the section Fixing common problems
    from the article
    HDR and WCG color settings in Windows 10
    and check if that helps in resolving the issue.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Oct 3, 2020
  4. Eric Ber Win User

can not turn on 10-bit video decoding for enabiling HDR mode

Hi tahmid alam fahim,

To play streaming high dynamic range (HDR) video in Windows 10 (version 1803), the built-in display for your laptop, tablet, or 2-in-1 PC needs to support HDR. To find the specifications for a specific laptop or tablet, visit the device manufacturer’s website.

Here are the requirements:

• The built-in display needs to have a resolution of 1080p or more, and a recommended max brightness of 300 nits or more.
    • The Windows 10 device needs to have an integrated graphics card that supports PlayReady hardware digital rights management (for protected HDR content), and it must have the required codecs installed for 10-bit video decoding. (For example, devices that
      have a 7th Generation Intel Core processor, code-named Kaby Lake, support this.)

To check if your Windows 10 PC has the required hardware to display HDR, and to find out if your display supports HDR10, yo ucan follow the steps below:

1. Press the Windows logo key + R, type
      dxdiag
      , and then select OK.
    2. Select Yes at the prompt.
    3. In the DirectX Diagnostic Tool, on the System
      tab, look in the System Information area.
    4. To save the information to a file, select Save all
      information, and then name and save the text file.
    5. Open the text file, and look at the value for HDR Support. If it says
      Supported, this indicates that your display supports HDR10.

Upon researching, I have checked that your device does not support HDR mode. You can check this

link
    for more information.

Should you have further queries, feel free to post it.

Eric Ber, Oct 3, 2020
Thema:

1. HDR10 content from PC not triggering the HDR settings on my display - Similar Threads - HDR10 content triggering

2. Best routes to ensure HDR10/Dolby Vision content

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Best routes to ensure HDR10/Dolby Vision content: I'm on Windows 21H1 with a HDR10+ Dolby Vision compatible 4K display via a good WIFI 6 connection. As of right now all my streaming content is viewed from Microsoft Edge current build. Windows settings show HDR is enabled and my tv input shows HDR 2160 res. Am I getting the...
  3. Cannot get HDR to function in display settings

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot get HDR to function in display settings: I previously owned a Lenovo L24Q-20 monitor running off a Nividia 1660 video card. Windows 10 tells me it is not HDR capable. On the advice of Lenovo, I purchased the L24Q-30 monitor with greater capabilities they say is HDR capable. Windows 10 still tells me my display is...
  4. HDR on my pc

in Windows 10 Customization
    HDR on my pc: i have hdr on my pc but my pc is 1080p i'm not sure how to check if it supports higher resolution, though my tv monitor is 4k hdr, i switched on the hdr on my pc, it was fine but then today my screen started to dim and some webpages i went on were flickering a little bit, so...
  5. about playing hdr content

about playing hdr content: on windows hd colour setting. my display capablities is showing stream hdr videos -yes use hdr-no use wcg-no what is the difference between stream hdr and use hdr? why my display capablities is showing no sign for use hdr and use wcg...
  6. Samsung Expands HDR10+ Ecosystem With Wider Content Offering

in Windows 10 News
    Samsung Expands HDR10+ Ecosystem With Wider Content Offering: [ATTACH] Samsung Electronics is further expanding its HDR10+ streaming content offering with the addition of Google Play Movies to the services that support its next-generation picture-quality technology. Google Play Movies, the video streaming service operated by Google,...
  7. HDR content in Window 10

HDR content in Window 10: So I have been trying to fix the HDR content on my laptop Lenovo X1 Extreme Gen 2, 4K OLED because the colours are too saturated beyond what normal saturation of colours should look like. I even had the entire screen replaced and still no fix. Upon inspecting the Windows...
  8. HDR content not being displayed properly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDR content not being displayed properly: Hi, My windows 10 always send fake hdr metadata 1000/20 metadata instead of the actual MaxCLL/MaxFALL and bogus 1000/0.030 instead of actual Max/Min DL which make HDR content look blindly over bright, while playing the same HDR content with My TV internal player things look...
  9. HDR WCG Option suddenly gone from Display Settings

HDR WCG Option suddenly gone from Display Settings: Here is my setup: Ryzen 2600X Sapphire RX 580 8GB Pulse ASROCK X370 Taichi ADATA SX800 M.2 NVME 480GB SSD 16 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz CAS 14 Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W I just finished this build last week, got everything I wanted installed, Windows fully...
  10. Issue with games that dont use HDR but HDR enabled in Windows Display settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issue with games that dont use HDR but HDR enabled in Windows Display settings: I have not tried all games yet, so far Titanfall 2 and DOOM (OGL and Vulkan) both have issues with having HDR enabled in Windows and running native 4k. The colors get all messed up. In TF2 most of the whites get replaced with black or purple and sometimes the white parts of...