Windows 10: Headphone audio not working after dual booting

Discus and support Headphone audio not working after dual booting in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi I recently dual booted into Linux Mint from Windows and everything went well. Unfortunately, after I booted back into Windows, the audio from my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by noobishply, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Headphone audio not working after dual booting

Hi

I recently dual booted into Linux Mint from Windows and everything went well. Unfortunately, after I booted back into Windows, the audio from my headphones doesn't seem to be working. I tried troubleshooting, re-installing realtek hd audio drivers, but nothing worked. The audio from my laptop speakers works fine, and the audio from my headphones works fine on Linux Mint. I've tried searching for the problem online, but nothing has worked so far. Thank you in advance.

:)

noobishply, Dec 24, 2020

2. Headphones not working and Realtek HD Audio Manager

Hello,

Thank you for updating us on the above issue.

Please reply:

• Did you check if your headphones work on other device?
    • Did you check if your headphone drivers are detected under Device manager?

I suggest you to check if similar issue persists on connecting the same headphones to another computer. If the issue does not persists, I suggest you to check if the headphone drivers are detected under Device manager by following the steps below:

• Press Windows logo + X keys on the keyboard select
      Device Manager from the options.
    • Expand Audio inputs and outputs option and check if the headphone drivers are visible in the window.
    • Right-click on the headphone driver and select Update this software
      option.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions and wait for the update to complete.
    • Close the window after the update is complete and check if the changes are effective.

If the headphone drivers are not visible, I suggest you to download and install the latest and most compatible driver software from the device manufacturer’s website and check if the issue is resolved.

Write to us with the status of the above issue for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Dec 24, 2020
  3. Mala_S Win User
    Move audio to one side for speakers but not headphones

Hello J1mmyth3F1sh,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

• Is your headphones getting detected in the Playback settings?
    • Are you trying to play the audio on both Speakers and Headphones at the same time?

Ideally, if you have configured Sound settings to play on your left speakers, the same goes with the headphones. The sound starts playing only on the left side of your headphones according to the settings changed.

Meanwhile, we can try configuring the headphones and change the balance level in the sound settings and see if it works. Kindly check with the steps listed below and see if it helps.

Method : Run audio test for your headphones.

• Open Control Panel from the Start menu and click on
      Sound.
    • In the Sound window, click on your
      Headphones and select Configure option at the bottom left.
    • By running the test, check if both sides of your headphones are working fine.

If that doesn’t help, I would suggest you to check with the audio balance by following the steps listed below:

• Open Sound settings from
      Control Panel,
      and right click on the Headphones to open its
      Properties.
    • Click on Levels tab and select
      Balance
      button. In the Balance window, you can use the slider to balance both left and right headphones equally.

However, I commend and appreciate you for recognizing this behavior. This is a valuable suggestion as there may be other users with a similar requirement. Hence, I suggest you to leave a
    Feedback for this product so
    that our developer team can look into this and check if it can be implemented in the future updates.

Regards,

Mala S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Mala_S, Dec 24, 2020
  4. Headphone audio not working after dual booting

Headphones not working and Realtek HD Audio Manager

Hi Cheriah,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you are facing. I will certainly help you with this.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• Did you check if the headphones get detected under Device manager?
    • Did you try installing the headphones driver on the PC?
    • Does the headphones work fine when connected to other computer?

You may be facing the above issue due to some of the system components conflicting with the headphones driver on the computer. You might also face the above issue if there is any hardware components missing from the headphones due to pulling the device
    abruptly.

Method 1: I suggest you to check if the headphone works on connecting to other computer. If the device works without any issues on other PC’s, I suggest you to download and install the latest and most compatible audio
    drivers for Windows 10 OS from the device manufacturer’s website and check if the issue is resolved.

Method 2: Set your headphone as your default audio device. To do so, follow these steps.

• Right-click on the speaker icon on your taskbar.
    • Select "Playback Devices".
    • On a empty space, right click and select both Show Disconnected/Disabled Devices
    • Check if your headphone is shown in the devices list.
    • If yes, right click on it select and Set as default device.
    Write to us with the answers to the above questions and the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

ThofikhAhamad, Dec 24, 2020
Thema:

Headphone audio not working after dual booting

1. Headphone audio not working after dual booting - Similar Threads - Headphone audio working

2. Audio from headphones not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Audio from headphones not working: Hi, I have a problem with audio related to my earphones. My computer is a MSI Vector GP66 12UGS with Windows 11, version 22H2 installed. the most recent installations / updates were twofold:1. "2023-11 Cumulative update for Windows 11 Version 23H2 for x64-based Systems...
  3. Bluetooth headphones' sound not working on Windows after dual booting ubuntu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bluetooth headphones' sound not working on Windows after dual booting ubuntu: Recently I had installed ubuntu 20.04.3 alongside Windows 10 on my laptop. After that I had problem with sound on my wireless headphones on Windows 10. The sound is working perfectly on ubuntu and there is no problem with bluetooth connection but on Windows not only do I have...
  4. Bluetooth headphones' sound not working on Windows after dual booting ubuntu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bluetooth headphones' sound not working on Windows after dual booting ubuntu: Recently I had installed ubuntu 20.04.3 alongside Windows 10 on my laptop. After that I had problem with sound on my wireless headphones on Windows 10. The sound is working perfectly on ubuntu and there is no problem with bluetooth connection but on Windows not only do I have...
  5. Bluetooth headphones' sound not working on Windows after dual booting ubuntu

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. Ethernet doesn't work after dual-booting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ethernet doesn't work after dual-booting: Recently, I dual-booted W10 and Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon both 64-bit. After dual-booting, ethernet works only on LM, while on W10 it says that it's not connected. I saw a few topics with a similar problem but all of them had no connection on LM, not W10. Feel free to ask for...
  7. Audio not working after sometime but headphone is working

Audio not working after sometime but headphone is working: I have Huawei mate book 13 and Realtek audio, windows 10 latest update. When I play a movie or game anything after sometime sounds not working correctly. It means sounds come and go after few seconds. But if I connect a headphone it is working totally fine. I did all the...
  8. Windows not working after dual boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows not working after dual boot: I have Dell Inspiron 5570, i5 8th gen, 2 TB Hard drive, 16GB intel optane and 8 GB RAM. I tried dual boot my PC with ubuntu 16.04, but I was not getting any drive details. So I used terminal in live ubuntu environment with following command: sudo dmraid -E -r /dev/sda After...
  9. Audio not working after unplugging headphones

Audio not working after unplugging headphones: Hi, my audio works good on speakers and on headphones until I unplug the headphones jack. At that point all the sound stops working. I can't get audio from the speakers nor the headphones even if I plug the headphones back . However, I do am able to get audio through...
  10. Headphone Audio not working problem

Headphone Audio not working problem: There's this incredibly obnoxious problem where my wired headphones plugged into the audio jack and the audio is fine and stays like that. Then sometimes when they headphones are pulled out of the jack, the whole computer makes the audio come out of the speakers instead of...