Windows 10: Headphone Audio not working problem

Discus and support Headphone Audio not working problem in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; There's this incredibly obnoxious problem where my wired headphones plugged into the audio jack and the audio is fine and stays like that. Then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Chris RedRZ, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Headphone Audio not working problem

There's this incredibly obnoxious problem where my wired headphones plugged into the audio jack and the audio is fine and stays like that. Then sometimes when they headphones are pulled out of the jack, the whole computer makes the audio come out of the speakers instead of the headphones like they're not even there. Even when the Realtek audio pop up comes up "You just plugged a device into the audio jack." This has happened a lot before and most of the time it just fixes without doing anything. I know there's no problem with my headphones because I plugged some earbuds in as well and they didn't work either. It sometimes fixes when I reinstall the Realtek drivers but sometimes it doesn't and I don't want to have to keep reinstalling drivers. They're Sony MDR-V150 headphones. It's an Inspiron 11-3168 laptop.

:)

Chris RedRZ, Aug 9, 2018

2. Headphones not working and Realtek HD Audio Manager

Hello,

Thank you for updating us on the above issue.

Please reply:

• Did you check if your headphones work on other device?
    • Did you check if your headphone drivers are detected under Device manager?

I suggest you to check if similar issue persists on connecting the same headphones to another computer. If the issue does not persists, I suggest you to check if the headphone drivers are detected under Device manager by following the steps below:

• Press Windows logo + X keys on the keyboard select
      Device Manager from the options.
    • Expand Audio inputs and outputs option and check if the headphone drivers are visible in the window.
    • Right-click on the headphone driver and select Update this software
      option.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions and wait for the update to complete.
    • Close the window after the update is complete and check if the changes are effective.

If the headphone drivers are not visible, I suggest you to download and install the latest and most compatible driver software from the device manufacturer’s website and check if the issue is resolved.

Write to us with the status of the above issue for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Aug 9, 2018
  3. Headphones not working and Realtek HD Audio Manager

Hi Cheriah,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you are facing. I will certainly help you with this.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• Did you check if the headphones get detected under Device manager?
    • Did you try installing the headphones driver on the PC?
    • Does the headphones work fine when connected to other computer?

You may be facing the above issue due to some of the system components conflicting with the headphones driver on the computer. You might also face the above issue if there is any hardware components missing from the headphones due to pulling the device
    abruptly.

Method 1: I suggest you to check if the headphone works on connecting to other computer. If the device works without any issues on other PC’s, I suggest you to download and install the latest and most compatible audio
    drivers for Windows 10 OS from the device manufacturer’s website and check if the issue is resolved.

Method 2: Set your headphone as your default audio device. To do so, follow these steps.

• Right-click on the speaker icon on your taskbar.
    • Select "Playback Devices".
    • On a empty space, right click and select both Show Disconnected/Disabled Devices
    • Check if your headphone is shown in the devices list.
    • If yes, right click on it select and Set as default device.
    Write to us with the answers to the above questions and the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

ThofikhAhamad, Aug 9, 2018
  4. Headphone Audio not working problem

Audio issues with only the left side of headphones/earphones work.

Hi Charlie,

The port of the device could be the culprit why only the left side of your headphones works. A hardware or software changes could also be the reason for this kind of issue. However, let's not assume anything yet until we isolated your concern. We suggest
    that you run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter in Windows Settings. Simply search for
    Troubleshoot in the start menu. Under Find and fix other problems, click on
    Hardware and Devices. We also suggest that you run the audio test for your headphones in Hardware and Sound. Here are the steps on how to do so:

• Go to Control Panel, then click on Hardware and Sound.
    • Under Sound, click on Manage audio devices.
    • Click on Headphones, then Configure at the bottom right.
    • Run the test, and see if both sides of your headphones are working there.

If you think this was useful, feel free to "mark it as an answer" to help those who are facing the same problem.

Carlos Tin, Aug 9, 2018
Thema:

Headphone Audio not working problem

1. Headphone Audio not working problem - Similar Threads - Headphone Audio working

2. Audio from headphones not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Audio from headphones not working: Hi, I have a problem with audio related to my earphones. My computer is a MSI Vector GP66 12UGS with Windows 11, version 22H2 installed. the most recent installations / updates were twofold:1. "2023-11 Cumulative update for Windows 11 Version 23H2 for x64-based Systems...
  3. Sound Problems / Headphones and other audio devices not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sound Problems / Headphones and other audio devices not working: Hi thereI've had my PC for around 3-4 years and it has worked completely fine in that time. Only recently, for the past 4 months or so I've only been able to use sound through my monitor as trying to plug in headphones or earphones into both my front USB audio and mic jack...
  4. Sound Problems / Headphones and other audio devices not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sound Problems / Headphones and other audio devices not working: Hi thereI've had my PC for around 3-4 years and it has worked completely fine in that time. Only recently, for the past 4 months or so I've only been able to use sound through my monitor as trying to plug in headphones or earphones into both my front USB audio and mic jack...
  5. Sound Problems / Headphones and other audio devices not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. Headphone Audio Problems

Headphone Audio Problems: I got a new pair of headphones and when I plug them in they work and the noise registers but I hear no audio. Also the mic isn't working. The window's troubleshooter updated the audio drivers and it didn't fix the problem. Any advice?...
  7. Audio problems with headphones

Audio problems with headphones: My problem is that normally I plug my headphones into my computer, it has a degree of volume, for example, 40/100, when I unplug the headphones, it has a different degree of volume, it can be 30/100 or 0/100 depends on the degree of volume I've set before plugging in. But...
  8. Headphone audio problem

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Headphone audio problem: Hi, My laptop audio is working fine. But when I connect my headset, I don't hear anything. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/headphone-audio-problem/1ac61c75-b2f5-4f33-94da-ebbca49734bb
  9. Audio problems with headphones.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Audio problems with headphones.: I recently purchased a pair of USB headphones and went straight into its software and cranked the bass up. Problem is that when there is heavy bass in music the volume rapidly decreases then goes back to normal to compensate for the bass. I've had this problem with my...
  10. Headphone/Audio Problems

Headphone/Audio Problems: Hello! I am encountering an extremely annoying issue with my HyperX Cloud II headphones where only certain things will play. I loaded up Minecraft, and the audio was playing through my headphones normally. I then realized I couldn’t hear my friends through Discord, so I...