Windows 10: Headphones detected but no sound plays through

Discus and support Headphones detected but no sound plays through in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; As of earlier today, no audio will play through any headphones using the 3.5mm headphone jack. Currently do not have my USB headphones to test them.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by kms526, Sep 27, 2022.

1. kms526 Win User

Headphones detected but no sound plays through

As of earlier today, no audio will play through any headphones using the 3.5mm headphone jack. Currently do not have my USB headphones to test them. Issue was noticed after my laptop blue screened, unknown why. Volume mixer along with sound settings recognize there is supposed to be sound going through the headphones. The green fluctuates as it normally would, but no audio passes. I can hear electricity and a light clicking noise when I change settings or first play audio. Both headphones work on other devices. My laptops built in speakers work fine as long as the headphones are unplugged.Lapt

:)

kms526, Sep 27, 2022

2. Headphones Not Detected

Wasn't sure what topic to put this under.

Windows 10 refuses to detect my headphones from my headset. The mic is fine. The computer even recognizes when I plug the headphones of the headset in. But it refuses to detect them. I can go into my Sound in Control Panel all day, and there will NEVER be any
    headphones in that list. So, no, I cannot click headphones, just making that clear before someone suggests clicking on headphones.

How do I force Windows 10 to detect the headphones that I have plugged in, so that they will work? The jack is working fine. When I plug them in it gives me the pop-up letting me know that I plugged something into the jack. But that's the end of it. It will
    not detect the headphones. Nothing comes out of them. There are no headphones in the Sound list. There is nothing. Nada. Zip. Zero. Zilch. Why does it register something is plugged in and then refuse to detect it?

Someone please figure out why Windows 10 simply cannot detect headphones and help me fix this so I can use my headset.

MorgothBauglir1, Sep 27, 2022
  3. Headphones not detected and sound continues to play through speakers

After doing a complete reset and re installation of windows on my laptop the laptop no longer detects headphones.

With headphones plugged into the headphone jack the sound still plays through the speakers. When I look in playback devices while the headphones are connected there are no headphones detected at all.

I have tried updating drivers but it didn't make a difference.

BeccaBee12, Sep 27, 2022
  4. Arul_D Win User

Speaker and Headphones still playing sound

Hello Brandon,

Thank you for replying back with the status of this issue.

Make sure your headphones aren't plugged into the line out (headphone) jack of your sound card or computer (unless you want to be listening with headphones rather than speakers). When you plug in headphones, most computers automatically
    cut the sound to the speakers. Ensure the headphone is fully and firmly inserted into the correct jack. Plug in the headphone and see if the same shows up in Device Manager.

I would suggest you to try the following methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

Run inbuilt audio troubleshooter and check if it works. Follow the steps given below.

• Press Windows Key +R, type
      Control Panel.
    • Typetroubleshooting in the search bar, click on troubleshooting.
    • Now click on view all option.
    • Click on Playing audio and follow the prompts to run the troubleshooter.
    Note: If your computer is having problems playing sound, try using the Playing Audio troubleshooter to fix the problem. It checks for common problems with your volume settings,
    your sound card or driver, and your speakers or headphones.

If the issue persists, follow method 2.

Method 2:

I would also suggest to download and install the latest soundcard drivers from the manufacturer’s website and check if it helps.

How to download and install drivers,
    please follow the link given below.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/all-drivers

Note: A driver is software that a device uses to work with your PC. Every device needs a driver to work with your PC. So, in many cases, you can plug in a device, and it’ll work
    automatically.

Windows can also download device software and info. This might include an app that the device manufacturer created to go with your device or info like the product name, manufacturer, and model number, to help you distinguish between
    similar devices.

Drivers are updated occasionally. Windows can update them automatically, or you can install the updated drivers yourself. Windows notifies you if it detects a suspicious or unsafe driver you shouldn't install.

If the issue persists, follow method 3.

Method 3:

Check with the volume settings. Please follow the steps given below and check if it helps.

• Right click on the speaker icon in taskbar and select volume control options.
    • Put a check mark on "All devices currently playing sound".
    • Make sure you have "The default communication device unchecked".
    • Place a check mark on both speakers and headphones. Click Apply and OK.
    If the issue persists, please follow method 4

Method 4:

I would suggest you to refer to the steps in the article given below and check if it helps.

No sound in Windows

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/...1&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

Note: The above article will help you identify and fix common sound problems in Windows, including no sound coming from your speakers or headphones.

Also try to install latest chipset drivers in the system and check if it helps.

The above steps holds good for Windows 10 as well.

For more information:

I would suggest you to refer to the suggestions provided by
    “Andre Da Costa” replied on January 22, 2015 in the following Microsoft Community link.

Frequently Asked Questions: Windows 10

Redirecting

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Arul_D, Sep 27, 2022
Thema:

1. Headphones detected but no sound plays through - Similar Threads - Headphones detected sound

2. Headphones detected but no sound plays through

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Headphones detected but no sound plays through: As of earlier today, no audio will play through any headphones using the 3.5mm headphone jack. Currently do not have my USB headphones to test them. Issue was noticed after my laptop blue screened, unknown why. Volume mixer along with sound settings recognize there is...
  3. Headphones detected but no sound plays through

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Headphones detected but no sound plays through: As of earlier today, no audio will play through any headphones using the 3.5mm headphone jack. Currently do not have my USB headphones to test them. Issue was noticed after my laptop blue screened, unknown why. Volume mixer along with sound settings recognize there is...
  4. No Sound Plays Through Headphones

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No Sound Plays Through Headphones: My headphones are selected as the default and show up under Speaker as Headphone RealtekR Audio. When I disconnect them, the option disappears as expected, but nothing changes when I plug them back in; sound continues to play through the speakers even though they aren't the...
  5. No Sound Plays Through Headphones

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No Sound Plays Through Headphones: My headphones are selected as the default and show up under Speaker as Headphone RealtekR Audio. When I disconnect them, the option disappears as expected, but nothing changes when I plug them back in; sound continues to play through the speakers even though they aren't the...
  6. Headphones play sound but they aren't detected

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Headphones play sound but they aren't detected: I have such a weird problem. My laptop can play the sound on my headphones but I've been google-ing about how I can still play sound through my laptop's speaker. When I found out that I just have to select my laptop's speaker, it says it is already on it but it plays...
  7. Headphones/Headset detected by Windows 10 but playing sound through speakers

Headphones/Headset detected by Windows 10 but playing sound through speakers: Ever since I had to completely reinstall Windows 10 from a security update that essentially locked me from my computer, I noticed just yesterday that whenever I plug my earbuds or gaming headset into my audio jack, the popup asking what I plugged in will appear, and no matter...
  8. Sound won’t play through headphones

Sound won’t play through headphones: My headphones are plugged in and registered as a device but it just won’t play any sound. Games don’t have sound at all, Spotify claims it can’t play music, and YouTube plays through the monitor speakers. I’ve tried restarting and unplugging everything and replugging it,...
  9. Sound not playing through headphones after sleep

Sound not playing through headphones after sleep: submitted by /u/Phoenixboy222 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fhmksu/sound_not_playing_through_headphones_after_sleep/
  10. Headphones not detected and sound continues to play through speakers

Headphones not detected and sound continues to play through speakers: After doing a complete reset and re installation of windows on my laptop the laptop no longer detects headphones. With headphones plugged into the headphone jack the sound still plays through the speakers. When I look in playback devices while the headphones are connected...