Windows 10: Headphones disappear from Playback

Discus and support Headphones disappear from Playback in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a strange problem here. For several different audio devices, the "Headphones" option is disappearing from my Playback list. I can connect to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Jack_Half_a_Prayer, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Headphones disappear from Playback

I have a strange problem here. For several different audio devices, the "Headphones" option is disappearing from my Playback list. I can connect to the Headsets for my various bluetooth over-ear headphones,earbuds, etc, but not the Headphones; these don't even appear. How can I get my "Headphones" back?

Please do not suggest running a Troubleshooter; I've already done this, and it inevitably asks which device I want to troubleshoot. The Headphones don't show up on the list of devices, so this is of no help.

I can also pretty much guarantee this isn't an issue with the drivers particular to the earbuds or other devices, as I've made sure those are up to date, and the problem is occuring for more than one device.

:)

Jack_Half_a_Prayer, Jul 13, 2019
  2. Arul_D Win User

Computer Won't Auto Change the Playback Device When Headphones Plugged In/Out

Hi Michael,

I understand your concern and will be happy to assist you.

Is the issue specific to only Headphones/ Does External Speaker play when plugged in?

I suggest you to try resetting the default device as shown in the steps given below and check if the issue persists.

• Plug in the Headphones in the machine.

• Go to Start and Control Panel.

• Select 'Hardware and Sound'.

• Click 'Change system sounds'.

• Click 'Playback' tab. (It should then show you your headphones in the list).

• Select your proper Headphone device from the list, then Click 'Set Default'.

• Now unplug your Headphones and select speakers from the list, then Click 'Set Default'.
    Hope it helps. Please reply for further queries on this.

Arul_D, Jul 13, 2019
  3. Why are my headphones disappearing from Playback devices

When I start my computer, my headphones are set as the default playback device. About 15 seconds after I log into my profile, the headphones make a quick static type sound, and no longer exist in the playback devices. I do have Show Disabled Devices and Show Disconnected Devices checked, and my headphones definitely aren't listed. It makes my speakers set to default after the headphones disappear. If I restart the computer, the headphones exist again, and I can run the sound test on them, and they work fine. I can run anything in those 15 seconds, and the headphones work fine. If I plug these headphones into any other computer, they work fine.

I'm using the USB connection for these headphones, and I have the usb drivers installed for the mobo. I have no idea what else to try.

Here's my hardware/software

OS - Windows 10

Headphones - Kingston Hyper-X Cloud II

Speakers - Just some old speakers

Mobo - Asus Maximus VIII Hero

I have removed all other software that messes with sound options (I think), so it's all controlled by my OS.

trueCamelType, Jul 13, 2019
  4. Headphones disappear from Playback

USB Headphones not working WINDOWS 10

Hello,

Thank you for keeping us updated.

This issue might resolve making the headphones as default device in Playback devices.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if the issue persists.

• Right click on the Speaker icon (Volume icon). Select
      Playback devices.
    • Select Headphones and click Set default.
    • Click apply and check if the issue resolves.
    Keep us posted if the headphone issue is resolved. We are glad to help you.

Sachin Venkatesh, Jul 13, 2019
Thema:

Headphones disappear from Playback

1. Headphones disappear from Playback - Similar Threads - Headphones disappear Playback

2. Audio outputs/playback not switching from headphones to speakers and vice versa.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Audio outputs/playback not switching from headphones to speakers and vice versa.: I have been having a problem with the audio not switching whenever I plug my headphones in or take them out. It used to work before where I plugged my headphones in and the audio from the speakers would automatically switch but now, I have no clue what caused this issue. Now...
  3. Headphone jack not showing on playback devices

in Windows 10 Customization
    Headphone jack not showing on playback devices: So I want to put my output audio as my earphones and so when I go to playback devices it doesnt show my plugged in esrphones https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/headphone-jack-not-showing-on-playback-devices/cf78eb7d-fe4f-4ed7-9f2f-8dfda39d3af6
  4. Wireless headphones not showing in playback

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Wireless headphones not showing in playback: Hi I have updated my windows to new version 1603 but unfortunately I m dealing with so many issues with this new update. I m trying to connect my wireless headphones to my hp laptop but unable to hear sound from it.My bluetooth device is connected but not playing any Audio...
  5. No Sound Coming from Bluetooth Headphones but Windows Shows Headphones as Current Playback...

in Windows 10 Customization
    No Sound Coming from Bluetooth Headphones but Windows Shows Headphones as Current Playback...: Normally when I turn on my Bluetooth headphones the computer recognizes them right away and immediately starts sending all audio to the headphones only. These days, I'm noticing more and more, than I turn on the headphones, Windows acknowledges it by switching the Playback...
  6. Monitor disappeared from Playback list

Monitor disappeared from Playback list: Hey all, I'm not sure exactly when but one day my monitors disappeared from the playback tab in sound settings. They had been working fine then they vanished. I've tried a few things like using audio and device troubleshooters, restarting my computer, and reinstalling some...
  7. Headphone jack disappeared

Headphone jack disappeared: The 3.5 jack disappeared from my list of available audio devices. It is a real problem for me. It occurred when I installed a pair of Bluetooth headphones - Ausdom M06. My system shows only the Btooth and don’t see the 3.5 jack when I plug it in. I use Toshiba Sattilite...
  8. Headphone Option Missing From Playback Devices

Headphone Option Missing From Playback Devices: Recently, I noticed that audio continues to play through the speakers when my headphones are plugged in, and the system does not recognize headphones at all. What's really weird, though, is this: [IMG] It appears that IJOY LOGO, which is my bluetooth headphones, has...
  9. headphones arent under playback devices

headphones arent under playback devices: after my laptop has been repaired my headphones that work on my other laptop, are no longer discovered when i plug them in to this laptop, ive run a trouble shoot to no avail ive made sure they are in plugged into the right spot. the 3.5 headphone jack just doesn't seem to...
  10. Headphones not showing in Playback Devices

Headphones not showing in Playback Devices: So I've just finished installing the creators update and only Speakers are showing in Playback Devices. I've tried updating my sound drivers as well as selecting 'Show Disabled/Disconnected Devices'. I've also run the troubleshooter. Headphones do not appear as an option in...