Windows 10: Headphones do not work unless they are plugged in before the laptop is powered on.

Discus and support Headphones do not work unless they are plugged in before the laptop is powered on. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, I have an Acer Nitro 5 2019, model number AN515-54-58BA. I bought it this past December, and about a month afterwards the 3.5mm port started... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Afraz Anosh, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Headphones do not work unless they are plugged in before the laptop is powered on.

Hello,

I have an Acer Nitro 5 2019, model number AN515-54-58BA. I bought it this past December, and about a month afterwards the 3.5mm port started misbehaving. There would be a 50-50 chance of any device plugged into it to work. However the speaker icon on the taskbar always showed "Speakers RealtekR Audio" regardless of whether sound was coming through the laptop speakers or an external device, whereas previously they would say "Headphones".

However as of late, headphones only work if they are plugged in prior to starting up the laptop. They still aren't recognized as external devices. I have tried several headphones and speakers; they all work on other devices but have the same problem on this laptop.

Going into Sound Settings, I only see "Speakers RealtekR Audio" for Output. For Input, I see "Microphone Array RealtekR Audio" and "Stereo Mix RealtekR Audio" regardless of whether a device is plugged in or not.

I have updated the drivers through Device Manager and also disabled and enabled the Waves MaxxAudio Service on startup to no avail. What other options do I have available for now? My Windows version is 10.0.18362.

Thanks in advance!

:)

Afraz Anosh, Jun 11, 2020
  2. txstoby Win User

Speakers playing when headphones are plugged in

I have an HP laptop with windows 10. When my headphones are plugged in, the speakers are still playing. When I go to sounds, the only device listed is the speakers. How can I silence the speakers when the headphones are plugged in.

txstoby, Jun 11, 2020
  3. Zack_L-P Win User
    Extremely bizarre issue where headphones don't work after being unplugged and plugged back in

I was going through your suggestions, until I got to this part. When I got to step 16 on that list (create a new admin user account and see if the problem persists in that account), I tried that suggestion and created a test account. At first, when I plugged
    in my headphones they weren't working (same as my original problem). But then when I unplugged them a Windows notification message popped up in the bottom right, saying something along the lines of "an audio device was disconnected". I plugged my headphones
    back in and got the same kind of windows popup asking what type of device I just plugged in, and I selected the headphone option. After that, the headphones worked fine even when unplugged and plugged back in. Unfortunately, they are only working fine in that
    alternate user account, and not in my normal one.

So I guess that means that the problem lies somewhere in my account settings, but how on earth do I fix it?

Zack_L-P, Jun 11, 2020
  4. Arul_D Win User

Headphones do not work unless they are plugged in before the laptop is powered on.

Computer Won't Auto Change the Playback Device When Headphones Plugged In/Out

Hi Michael,

I understand your concern and will be happy to assist you.

Is the issue specific to only Headphones/ Does External Speaker play when plugged in?

I suggest you to try resetting the default device as shown in the steps given below and check if the issue persists.

• Plug in the Headphones in the machine.

• Go to Start and Control Panel.

• Select 'Hardware and Sound'.

• Click 'Change system sounds'.

• Click 'Playback' tab. (It should then show you your headphones in the list).

• Select your proper Headphone device from the list, then Click 'Set Default'.

• Now unplug your Headphones and select speakers from the list, then Click 'Set Default'.
    Hope it helps. Please reply for further queries on this.

Arul_D, Jun 11, 2020
Thema:

Headphones do not work unless they are plugged in before the laptop is powered on.

1. Headphones do not work unless they are plugged in before the laptop is powered on. - Similar Threads - Headphones unless are

2. Laptop doesn't recognize headphones unless plugged in a very specific position.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop doesn't recognize headphones unless plugged in a very specific position.: This is an HP laptop with Windows 11 Home.As of yesterday my laptop doesn't seem to recognize when any sort of headphones are plugged in unless I twist the jack in a certain way. If it isn't, sound continues to go through the speakers and it won't even show up in my settings....
  3. Laptop doesn't recognize headphones unless plugged in a very specific position.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop doesn't recognize headphones unless plugged in a very specific position.: This is an HP laptop with Windows 11 Home.As of yesterday my laptop doesn't seem to recognize when any sort of headphones are plugged in unless I twist the jack in a certain way. If it isn't, sound continues to go through the speakers and it won't even show up in my settings....
  4. Laptop won't start unless plugged in.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop won't start unless plugged in.: I recently had the battery on my laptop a Lenovo T14s Thinkpad replaced, and have had problems with getting it to start. When I turn it on, it shuts itself off a few seconds into the startup screen unless it is connected to a charger. After startup it can run off battery...
  5. Headphones don't work unless I restart the laptop with them plugged in?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Headphones don't work unless I restart the laptop with them plugged in?: I've looked online but nothing's worked. Headphones work upon restarting but if they become unplugged, plugging them back in does nothing and audio just plays through the speakers. They're not detected at all unless I restart....
  6. Headphones don't work unless I restart the laptop with them plugged in?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Headphones don't work unless I restart the laptop with them plugged in?: I've looked online but nothing's worked. Headphones work upon restarting but if they become unplugged, plugging them back in does nothing and audio just plays through the speakers. They're not detected at all unless I restart....
  7. Headphones don't work unless I restart the laptop with them plugged in?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Asus Laptop Will not turn on unless plugged in

Asus Laptop Will not turn on unless plugged in: I am just wondering why my laptop doesn't work unless if it is plugged in. Its battery capacity is 22 792 from 38000mWh. I hope my concern will be addressed. Thank u so much.BATTERY 1NAMEASUS BatteryMANUFACTURERASUSTeKSERIAL NUMBER-CHEMISTRYLIonDESIGN CAPACITY38,000 mWhFULL...
  9. Speakers will not work unless headphones are plugged in.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Speakers will not work unless headphones are plugged in.: I use a little RCA W1013DK for my college studies. Earlier on today for some odd reason my internal speakers stopped working. So after hours of checking privacy options, resetting services, going through trouble shoots, uninstalling and reinstalling drivers. I plugged my...
  10. Earphone doesn't work if plugged in While Laptop is on. But Works if plugged in before...

Earphone doesn't work if plugged in While Laptop is on. But Works if plugged in before...: I have a wired problem on my Dell Laptop Win 10 Build 17134.376. When I plug in the earphones while windows is already on, it doesn't show anywhere else either on device manager nor other places. But when I restart or plugin earphones before power on, it works and shows up...