Windows 10: Headphones not playing sound

Discus and support Headphones not playing sound in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; So i plugged in my new headphones into the audio jack and the audio is not working. I am using a dell 2in1 Chromebook.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Goertzen, Dec 9, 2021.

1. Goertzen Win User

Headphones not playing sound

So i plugged in my new headphones into the audio jack and the audio is not working. I am using a dell 2in1 Chromebook.

:)

Goertzen, Dec 9, 2021
  2. Arul_D Win User

Speaker and Headphones still playing sound

Hello Brandon,

Thank you for replying back with the status of this issue.

Make sure your headphones aren't plugged into the line out (headphone) jack of your sound card or computer (unless you want to be listening with headphones rather than speakers). When you plug in headphones, most computers automatically
    cut the sound to the speakers. Ensure the headphone is fully and firmly inserted into the correct jack. Plug in the headphone and see if the same shows up in Device Manager.

I would suggest you to try the following methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

Run inbuilt audio troubleshooter and check if it works. Follow the steps given below.

• Press Windows Key +R, type
      Control Panel.
    • Typetroubleshooting in the search bar, click on troubleshooting.
    • Now click on view all option.
    • Click on Playing audio and follow the prompts to run the troubleshooter.
    Note: If your computer is having problems playing sound, try using the Playing Audio troubleshooter to fix the problem. It checks for common problems with your volume settings,
    your sound card or driver, and your speakers or headphones.

If the issue persists, follow method 2.

Method 2:

I would also suggest to download and install the latest soundcard drivers from the manufacturer’s website and check if it helps.

How to download and install drivers,
    please follow the link given below.

Download and install drivers in Windows 8.1

Note: A driver is software that a device uses to work with your PC. Every device needs a driver to work with your PC. So, in many cases, you can plug in a device, and it’ll work
    automatically.

Windows can also download device software and info. This might include an app that the device manufacturer created to go with your device or info like the product name, manufacturer, and model number, to help you distinguish between
    similar devices.

Drivers are updated occasionally. Windows can update them automatically, or you can install the updated drivers yourself. Windows notifies you if it detects a suspicious or unsafe driver you shouldn't install.

If the issue persists, follow method 3.

Method 3:

Check with the volume settings. Please follow the steps given below and check if it helps.

• Right click on the speaker icon in taskbar and select volume control options.
    • Put a check mark on "All devices currently playing sound".
    • Make sure you have "The default communication device unchecked".
    • Place a check mark on both speakers and headphones. Click Apply and OK.
    If the issue persists, please follow method 4

Method 4:

I would suggest you to refer to the steps in the article given below and check if it helps.

No sound in Windows

Fix sound problems in Windows 10

Note: The above article will help you identify and fix common sound problems in Windows, including no sound coming from your speakers or headphones.

Also try to install latest chipset drivers in the system and check if it helps.

The above steps holds good for Windows 10 as well.

For more information:

I would suggest you to refer to the suggestions provided by
    “Andre Da Costa” replied on January 22, 2015 in the following Microsoft Community link.

Frequently Asked Questions: Windows 10

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ndows-10/5c0b9368-a9e8-4238-b1e4-45f4b7ed2fb9

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Arul_D, Dec 9, 2021
  3. All sound playing through speakers instead of headphones

Hi Luke,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

It's unfortunate that you are facing this issue. Let me assist you to resolve the issue.

Share this information to assist you better.

• What is the make and model of the computer?
    • Which update caused this issue. Share the KB number.

I understand that the audio is playing through speakers in your Windows 10 laptop

Follow the steps and check if it helps.

Method :

I would also suggest you to make your headphone as the default device when it is plugged in.

This may happen when you have the external speakers set to default.

Perform the task mentioned below to set headphones as default:

1. On the start screen of windows 10 press the ‘Windows key + X’ key on the keyboard and then click on control panel and then Hardware and sound option.

2. Click in Sound, then a new window will open up.

3. In the new windows click on the tab "Playback" and right click in the window and click on Show Disabled devices.

4. Now check if headphones are listed there and right click on it and choose enable.

5. Highlight that headphones and click on "Set as Default".

Hope this helps, keep us posted.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Dec 9, 2021
  4. Headphones not playing sound

No sound through headphones

Hello Sander,

Thank you for keeping us posted.

I certainly understand your concern and will try my best to help you.

I really appreciate all your efforts in trying to fix the issue.

In order to understand the issue more clearly, I would request you to provide me with the following information.

• What is the make and model of the headphones?

• Have you tried connecting the headphones to another jack or another computer and checked if they are working?
    Make sure your headphones aren't plugged into the line out (headphone) jack of your sound card or computer (unless you want to be listening with headphones rather than speakers). When you plug in headphones, most computers
    automatically cut the sound to the speakers. Ensure the headphone is fully and firmly inserted into the correct jack. Plug in the headphone and see if the same shows up in Device Manager.

I would suggest you to try the following methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

Run inbuilt Hardware and Device troubleshooter and check if it works. Follow the steps given below.

Note:
    If your computer is having problems with a recently installed device or other hardware, try using the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter to fix the problem. It checks for common issues and makes sure that any new device or
    hardware attached to your computer was installed correctly.

• Press Windows Key +R, type
      Control Panel.

• Type troubleshooting
      in the search bar, click on troubleshooting.

• Click on Hardware and Sound, click on
      Hardware and Devices.

• Follow the steps from the wizard to run the troubleshooter.
    If issue persists, follow method 2.

Method 2:

Check with the volume settings. Please follow the steps given below and check if it helps.

• Right click on the speaker icon in taskbar and select volume control options.

• Put a check mark on "All devices currently playing sound".

• Make sure you have "The default communication device unchecked".

• Place a check mark on both speakers and headphones. Click Apply and OK.
    If issue persists, follow method 3.

Method 3:

This happens when you have the speakers set to default. We need to set the headphones as default. Please follow the steps given below and check if it helps.

• Perform the task mentioned below to set speakers as default.

• Go to Start and click on control Panel.

• Click in Sound, then a new window will open up.

• In the new windows click on the tab "Playback" and right click in the window and click on Show Disabled devices.

• Now check if the headphone is listed there and right click on it and choose enable.

• Highlight that headphone and click on "Set as Default".

Also try to install latest chipset drivers in the system and check if it helps.

The above steps holds good for Windows 10 as well.

Also, I would suggest you to refer to the suggestions provided by
    “Preethu” replied on April 22, 2015 in the following Microsoft Community link and check if that helps.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ndows-10/7c172f44-52bf-4263-8b59-789e8f6cb3ae

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Jayant

Jayant Gupta, Dec 9, 2021
Thema:

Headphones not playing sound

1. Headphones not playing sound - Similar Threads - Headphones playing sound

2. Headphones detected but no sound plays through

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Headphones detected but no sound plays through: As of earlier today, no audio will play through any headphones using the 3.5mm headphone jack. Currently do not have my USB headphones to test them. Issue was noticed after my laptop blue screened, unknown why. Volume mixer along with sound settings recognize there is...
  3. No Sound Plays Through Headphones

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No Sound Plays Through Headphones: My headphones are selected as the default and show up under Speaker as Headphone RealtekR Audio. When I disconnect them, the option disappears as expected, but nothing changes when I plug them back in; sound continues to play through the speakers even though they aren't the...
  4. No Sound Plays Through Headphones

No Sound Plays Through Headphones: My headphones are selected as the default and show up under Speaker as Headphone RealtekR Audio. When I disconnect them, the option disappears as expected, but nothing changes when I plug them back in; sound continues to play through the speakers even though they aren't the...
  5. Headphones not playing sound

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Headphones not playing sound: So i plugged in my new headphones into the audio jack and the audio is not working. I am using a dell 2in1 Chromebook. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/headphones-not-playing-sound/1b2259f0-3526-4e71-928d-48f0e13edbbc
  6. Headphones not playing sound

Headphones not playing sound: So i plugged in my new headphones into the audio jack and the audio is not working. I am using a dell 2in1 Chromebook. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/headphones-not-playing-sound/1b2259f0-3526-4e71-928d-48f0e13edbbc
  7. Bluetooth Headphones Not Playing Sound At All

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bluetooth Headphones Not Playing Sound At All: Hi Everyone,I just bought a laptop today with Windows 11. I am trying to hook up my bluetooth earbuds to it. It says connected for music and calls, but when I go to play anything, there is no sound coming out. I checked they drives it says that they are updated. Was wondering...
  8. Headphones playing sounds but not working as Mic

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Headphones playing sounds but not working as Mic: I have a headset and the sound plays through them but when I want to use the mic that come with it, the laptop uses the mic integrated. The headset uses a aux cable not USB, the laptop comes with a function to detec which devices is connected, such as mic, speakers, headset...
  9. Headphones play sound but they aren't detected

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Headphones play sound but they aren't detected: I have such a weird problem. My laptop can play the sound on my headphones but I've been google-ing about how I can still play sound through my laptop's speaker. When I found out that I just have to select my laptop's speaker, it says it is already on it but it plays...
  10. Headphones not playing stereo sound

in Windows 10 Customization
    Headphones not playing stereo sound: Hi, recently my headphones broke and I bought a pair of headphones (JBL Live 650btnc) and when I am playing games like csgo, rainbow six siege etc it doesn't have left and right stereo and combines it into one channel. I have done research and I can't seem to find anything to...