Windows 10: Headphones not showing in output audio devices on laptop

Discus and support Headphones not showing in output audio devices on laptop in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] I installed Dolby Access and I have to choose my headphones from audio devices list but they are not there. If I choose default speakers it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/godofufo, Dec 25, 2019.

1. Headphones not showing in output audio devices on laptop

/u/godofufo, Dec 25, 2019
  2. lvgandhi Win User

DELL Venue 8 Pro-No headphone audio output device.

I have done clean install of Windows 10 in my DV8P. Everything works fine. When I check audio output devices, it shows only Speaker. Even after inserting headphone jack, I am not finding headphone as audio output device. Hence hearing audio without disturbing others is not possible.
    Any solutions, please.

lvgandhi, Dec 25, 2019
  3. Headphones do not show up when Realtek is installed

OK, so this happened to me on my laptop. It wanted to use the realtek drivers no matter what. Let me show you what to do.
    Step 1. Open the start menu and type 'Device Manager' in the search bar. Click on the result.

Step 2.
    Headphones not showing in output audio devices on laptop [​IMG]
    You'll see this window appear.

Step 3.
    Expand the 'Sound , video and game controllers' category.

Step 4. Find 'Realtek High Definition Audio' in the list, then right click it and select Properties.

Step 5.
    Click on the 'Driver' tab near the top of the window.

Step 6.
    Now click on the button that says 'Roll back driver'.
    If the button is dimmed, make sure your Realtek drivers are currently installed.

Step 6. If you did it correctly, the system should ask you to restart to finish. If it does then you finished the tutorial correctly!
    Once restarted, Open device manager again using step 1. Expand the 'sound, video and game controllers' category again.

Step 7. If it says 'High Definition Audio Device' then you did it right. Here's a pic for example purposes:

ThatsNiceGuy, Dec 25, 2019
  4. Headphones not showing in output audio devices on laptop

Headphones output device is not plugged in

A quick update about additional steps I tried:

1. Uninstall KB4512508 (no effect)
    2. Re-install KB4512508 (no effect)
    3. Disable and re-enable High Definition Audio Device via device manager (no effect)

As a last ditch I booted the PC with a live OS from USB storage and to my surprise the Headphones socket on the front panel was detected and worked fine. I think this should rule out a hardware-related issue.

Once again, I would appreciate any suggestion to solve this problem.

Best regards,

randomisator, Dec 25, 2019
Thema:

Headphones not showing in output audio devices on laptop

1. Headphones not showing in output audio devices on laptop - Similar Threads - Headphones showing output

2. Bluetooth headphones not recognized as audio output device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bluetooth headphones not recognized as audio output device: Hi,I have a problem with pairing my Bluetooth headphones with my computer, while they work perfectly on my phone.My computer detects the headphones, but as if they were any Bluetooth device like a phone, not an audio device. So I can't select them as the main audio output,...
  3. Bluetooth headphones not recognized as audio output device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bluetooth headphones not recognized as audio output device: Hi,I have a problem with pairing my Bluetooth headphones with my computer, while they work perfectly on my phone.My computer detects the headphones, but as if they were any Bluetooth device like a phone, not an audio device. So I can't select them as the main audio output,...
  4. No audio output device is installed / No speakers or headphones are plugged in

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    No audio output device is installed / No speakers or headphones are plugged in: I have been experiencing audio problems for the past few months, with a red x next to my audio. I have attempted to troubleshoot using the windows troubleshooter, but it just says it cannot find any audio device. In Device Manager, in sound, video, and game controllers, it...
  5. Audio/Headphone jack not working/No Audio Output Device is installed.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio/Headphone jack not working/No Audio Output Device is installed.: Hi, I have a Dell XPS 13 9365, which I modded into a "desktop"I had fresh installed windows from a USB Device, but, I realized the audio menu says "No Audio Output Device is installed."I had the original speakers plugged in, the connection was alright, yet it still didn't...
  6. Audio/Headphone jack not working/No Audio Output Device is installed.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Audio/Headphone jack not working/No Audio Output Device is installed.: Hi, I have a Dell XPS 13 9365, which I modded into a "desktop"I had fresh installed windows from a USB Device, but, I realized the audio menu says "No Audio Output Device is installed."I had the original speakers plugged in, the connection was alright, yet it still didn't...
  7. Audio/Headphone jack not working/No Audio Output Device is installed.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. windows not detecting bluetooth headphones as an audio output device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows not detecting bluetooth headphones as an audio output device: it is showing as a connectable audio device, i can connect it as an audio device. it is not showing as an output device, preventing me to use them for their sole purpose. i have tried disconnecting and reconnecting them, i have tried unpairing and pairing them again, i've...
  9. headphone audio device not showing

headphone audio device not showing: So, today i was planning to get on my PC to play Minecraft and the sound was coming from my built in speakers. i thought it was weird so i went to the panel to check if my output device was still there and it wasn't. I've restarted a few times but no luck. i would be happy if...
  10. Making Bluetooth headphones the audio output device

Making Bluetooth headphones the audio output device: I finally got my Bluetooth headphones to connect to my PC Windows 10 but I'm not getting any sound through them. When I try to change my audio output device to them, I don't see them listed. I do see them under Bluetooth devices in Device Manager....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dell windows 10 3.5mm audio jack issues