Windows 10: Headphones only recognised when plugged in at startup + low quality 'tinny' sound

Discus and support Headphones only recognised when plugged in at startup + low quality 'tinny' sound in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; In the last few days, I have started having two weird problems with Realtek sound on my Windows 10 Dell PC have tried two sets of headphones: 1 The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Finjo, Mar 6, 2021.

1. Finjo Win User

Headphones only recognised when plugged in at startup + low quality 'tinny' sound

In the last few days, I have started having two weird problems with Realtek sound on my Windows 10 Dell PC have tried two sets of headphones:

1 The output has a weird 'tinny' sound to it, it's hard to explain but sounds very low quality and things like talking are hard to understand properly.

2 If I unplug headphones and plug another set in, the headphones are not recognised at all unless I restart my PC. I saw this thread but can't see the Waves MaxxAudio in the list of startup apps, and Realtek HD Audio Manager and HD Audio Background Process are both enabled which I assume would manage this.

New Realtek and Intel drivers were installed on 4th March and I'm wondering if that's what caused this, particularly the Realtek update. Driver versions:

Realtek Semiconductor Corp. - MEDIA - 6.0.9107.1

Intel Corporation - SoftwareComponent - 2.12.100.4

Intel Corporation - System - 2.12.100.4

Intel - System - 2031.15.0.1743

Anyone else had similar problems?

:)

Finjo, Mar 6, 2021

2. Windows 10 - Audio sounds tinny when headphones are plugged in

Hello,

I recently updated from Windows 8 to Windows 10 on my Toshiba Satellite C55 - A. After the update, I noticed that the audio is strangely tinny whenever I use headphones. All of the bass is gone, and it sounds as though the headphones are only partially inserted
    into their headphone jack. I've tried troubleshooting the problem through the sound icon and uninstalling and reinstalling the audio driver, but nothing has seemed to fix this problem (and it doesn't help that I seem to be one of few to have the issue). The
    audio driver is Realtek High Definition Audio Version 6.0.1.7564.

Thanks!

Thomas Buonanno, Mar 6, 2021
  3. Dana.K Win User
    Unacceptable speaker sound quality

I've tried 2 different HP PROBOOK laptops and both have very poor speaker quality, scratchy, faint, tinny sound. Any suggestions ho to fix?

Dana.K, Mar 6, 2021
  4. Headphones only recognised when plugged in at startup + low quality 'tinny' sound

Sound problems when plugging in headphones

Since buying a new laptop and updating to windows 10 I have had a problem with the sound, the problem being that when I plug in a set of headphones I manually have to go on playback devices to set my headphones as default and also on the volume mixer to select my headphones on the drop down arrow or else the sound will keep coming out of my speakers. Basically it is not doing anything automatically, so everytime I plug in headphones, or connect to the tv I have to change everything manually, and do the same thing when disconnecting or else there will be no sound atall.

I did read on the internet that by plugging in my headphones and then making them my default sounds device would work because it is supposed to automatically change when they are unplugged but unfortunately this is not the case for me. Also I am curious as to why even when I don't have my headphones plugged in, they are still listed under playback, but it does not say they are unplugged. I would appreciate anybody who can help me with this problem because I have run out of ideas.

Many thanks in advance

flyingdragon91, Mar 6, 2021
Thema:

Headphones only recognised when plugged in at startup + low quality 'tinny' sound

1. Headphones only recognised when plugged in at startup + low quality 'tinny' sound - Similar Threads - Headphones recognised plugged

2. Bluetooth speaker is recognised as Headphones and the sound quality is bad.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bluetooth speaker is recognised as Headphones and the sound quality is bad.: Browsed the Internet for quite a while but couldn't find any fixes on this issue...apparently it is because the Bluetooth speaker has a mic so it is identified as "Handsfree Headphones"... I have done some basic methods and troubleshooting like reinstalling drivers or...
  3. Bluetooth speaker is recognised as Headphones and the sound quality is bad.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bluetooth speaker is recognised as Headphones and the sound quality is bad.: Browsed the Internet for quite a while but couldn't find any fixes on this issue...apparently it is because the Bluetooth speaker has a mic so it is identified as "Handsfree Headphones"... I have done some basic methods and troubleshooting like reinstalling drivers or...
  4. Bluetooth speaker is recognised as Headphones and the sound quality is bad.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Low audio quality with bluetooth headphones

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Low audio quality with bluetooth headphones: Audio quality seems to be locked to "tape recorder quality", the headphones sound muffled because of this. I think that the problem is the fact that windows is recognising the headphones as a headset rather than headphones which locks the audio at tape recorder quality. I...
  6. Low audio quality with bluetooth headphones

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Low audio quality with bluetooth headphones: Audio quality seems to be locked to "tape recorder quality", the headphones sound muffled because of this. I think that the problem is the fact that windows is recognising the headphones as a headset rather than headphones which locks the audio at tape recorder quality. I...
  7. Sound quality of headphones

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Sound quality of headphones: After a long while I'm finally fed up with whatever is happening and I want to get to the bottom of it. For the longest time, the headphone sound quality of my headphones have been fairly subpar. When I first got my computer, my headphones had binaural audio and generally...
  8. No bass and tinny sound

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    No bass and tinny sound: Hi all, I have a HP Pavilion Power Laptop 15-cb0xx running windows 10. I have no Bass in youtube or and media player and the sound in general sounds horrible. This was not always the case. However, when I go into Fruity Loops (a digital audio workstation that uses another...
  9. no sound when I plug in my headphones

in Windows 10 Customization
    no sound when I plug in my headphones: When I plug in my headphones, windows turns the sound down to zero. I am on a windows 10 desktop computer that is a few months old. Today is the first time I've tried to use my old headphones. Following advice online I went to SOUND - COMMUNICATIONS and set it to NOTHING,...
  10. Sound problems when plugging in headphones

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sound problems when plugging in headphones: Since buying a new laptop and updating to windows 10 I have had a problem with the sound, the problem being that when I plug in a set of headphones I manually have to go on playback devices to set my headphones as default and also on the volume mixer to select my headphones...