Windows 10: Headphones only work after I restart my computer with them plugged in

Discus and support Headphones only work after I restart my computer with them plugged in in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have an Acer laptop running windows 10 home with the Realtek 6.0.8904.1 driver. The computer also has 2 other main sound drivers: Intel display audio... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by inni202, Sep 6, 2020.

1. inni202 Win User

Headphones only work after I restart my computer with them plugged in

I have an Acer laptop running windows 10 home with the Realtek 6.0.8904.1 driver. The computer also has 2 other main sound drivers: Intel display audio and NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device Wave Extensible WDB. I also have 2 other sounds drivers but those are both for my JBL 120TWS Bluetooth headphones.

I have some corsair hs50 headphones that worked perfectly on my previous computer but just refuse to work on my new one, just as some other mainstream headphones like apple earbuds.

The problem is that when I start my pc and plug in my headphones, the sound just continues to play out of my laptops speakers. When I restart my device, whilst keeping my headphones plugged in, they work as expected: sound comes out of them and not out of the laptops speaker. BUT when I then unplug the working headphones, and reconnect them, the problem just repeats itself and they stop working…

I tried so many things and nothing seems to work… uninstalling the drivers, reinstalling and eventually updating them. Playing around with the bitrate of my speakers, updating windows… Nothing seems to work.

Here are my specs:

Laptop: Acer Aspire 7 A715-75G-71ZS Azerty

Cpu: Intel core I7-9750H hexa core

Gpu: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1650 4GB

RAM: 16GB

I hope someone can tell me how to fix this, cause it's genuinely driving me crazy.

Thanks for your help!!!

:)

inni202, Sep 6, 2020
  2. Arul_D Win User

Computer Won't Auto Change the Playback Device When Headphones Plugged In/Out

Hi Michael,

I understand your concern and will be happy to assist you.

Is the issue specific to only Headphones/ Does External Speaker play when plugged in?

I suggest you to try resetting the default device as shown in the steps given below and check if the issue persists.

• Plug in the Headphones in the machine.

• Go to Start and Control Panel.

• Select 'Hardware and Sound'.

• Click 'Change system sounds'.

• Click 'Playback' tab. (It should then show you your headphones in the list).

• Select your proper Headphone device from the list, then Click 'Set Default'.

• Now unplug your Headphones and select speakers from the list, then Click 'Set Default'.
    Hope it helps. Please reply for further queries on this.

Arul_D, Sep 6, 2020
  3. Headphone Connection

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10!

I understand that the headphones are not working when you connect then through the jack on your Windows 10 operating system. I will certainly help you with the query. I would appreciate if you could help us with more information

• Have you checked plugging the headphone to a different jack on the same computer?

• Have you checked if any other sound device work fine when plugged to the problematic jack?

This issue might be occurring due to incompatible drivers or broken jack. There might be a possibility that the headphone is not compatible with windows 10 operating system. Hence I would suggest you to follow the below mentioned
    steps and check if that helps.

Method 1:
    Hardware and devices troubleshooter

The built-in hardware and devices troubleshooter can automatically detect and fix most of the incorrect settings and errors that could cause issues with hardware. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if there is any issue with
    the display adapter. Refer top these steps:

• Open Control Panel
    • Click on Troubleshooting and select the view all option on the left pane.
    • Click on Hardware and devices troubleshooter and follow the prompts.

Try method 2, if the issue persist

Method 2: If the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter do not fix
    the issue then I would suggest you to uninstall the drivers and reboot the computer to get the updated drivers installed for the headphone. Please follow below mentioned steps:

• Open Control Panel
    • Click on Device Manager and select the audio input and output drivers
    • Right click on driver that appears after plugging the headphone and click on uninstall
    • After uninstalling, unplug the headphone and restart the computer
    • Plugging the headphone again and the computer will detect the updates drivers automatically.

Now check if the headphones work on the computer or not.

Hope this information is helpful. Please write back to us if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Neha.Gupta, Sep 6, 2020
  4. Rock_Kurd Win User

Headphones work only after restart with headphones plugged in

I have a Dell G3 2019 laptop running Windows 10 with Realtek audio driver (the latest). When I plug in my headphones after booting up, the headphones have no sound and the speaker remains on. If I restart
    after plugging the headphones in, the headphones work fine and the speaker is off. Then if I unplug the headphones, the speaker comes back on and plugging the headphones in again changes nothing -- speaker on, headphones silent. In the sound settings, headphones
    don't appear in either case. Any ideas on how to fix this problem? Thanks for your help

Rock_Kurd, Sep 6, 2020
Thema:

1. Headphones only work after I restart my computer with them plugged in - Similar Threads - Headphones restart computer

2. Headphones work only after restart with headphones plugged in

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Headphones work only after restart with headphones plugged in: I have an Acer laptop with Windows 10 with Realtek audio driver version 6.0.9309.1. When I plug in my headphones after booting up, the headphones have no sound and the speaker remains on. If I restart after plugging the headphones in, the headphones work fine and the...
  3. Headphones work only after restart with headphones plugged in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Headphones work only after restart with headphones plugged in: I have an Acer laptop with Windows 10 with Realtek audio driver version 6.0.9309.1. When I plug in my headphones after booting up, the headphones have no sound and the speaker remains on. If I restart after plugging the headphones in, the headphones work fine and the...
  4. Headphones work only after restart with headphones plugged in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. My headphone jack only works after a computer restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My headphone jack only works after a computer restart: Hello, I know this has been asked here before but I've not been able to find any answers that work for me so far.I have a Dell Inspiron 7506 for some reason my system information doesn't give me a proper SKU and am using Realtek HD audio manager drives. My headphone jack...
  6. My headphone jack only works after a computer restart

My headphone jack only works after a computer restart: Hello, I know this has been asked here before but I've not been able to find any answers that work for me so far.I have a Dell Inspiron 7506 for some reason my system information doesn't give me a proper SKU and am using Realtek HD audio manager drives. My headphone jack...
  7. Headphones don't work unless I restart the laptop with them plugged in?

Headphones don't work unless I restart the laptop with them plugged in?: I've looked online but nothing's worked. Headphones work upon restarting but if they become unplugged, plugging them back in does nothing and audio just plays through the speakers. They're not detected at all unless I restart....
  8. Headphones only work when I start my computer with them plugged in, if I unplug them and...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Headphones only work when I start my computer with them plugged in, if I unplug them and...: I found a few solutions online, and none of them worked. submitted by /u/vanhalen325 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kqz9eu/headphones_only_work_when_i_start_my_computer/
  9. Headphones work only after restarting with headphones plugged in

Headphones work only after restarting with headphones plugged in: I have a Dell laptop running Windows 10 with Realtek audio driver version v6.0.8838.1 A09 which is the latest. When I plug in my headphones after booting up, the headphones have no sound and the speaker remains on. If I restart after plugging the headphones in, the...
  10. Headphones work only after restart with headphones plugged in

Headphones work only after restart with headphones plugged in: I have a Dell G3 2019 laptop running Windows 10 with Realtek audio driver the latest. When I plug in my headphones after booting up, the headphones have no sound and the speaker remains on. If I restart after plugging the headphones in, the headphones work fine and the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 headphones jack only working when starting

2. my laptop cannot detect headphones unless i restart

3. laptop needs to restart to make audio jack work

4. why does i have to restart my laptop each time i switch my headphones,
  5. how to fix headphones not connecting on pc and only working when pc is restarted,
  6. headphones only show up if plugged in on restart,
  7. headphones not working until restart,
  8. Why do I have to restart my PC everytime I plug in my headphones?,
  9. headphone phone works only after restart,
  10. laptop speakers not working after using headphones unless restarting,
  11. windows 10 headphones only work after restart