Windows 10: Headphones plugged in but, it says that they're not.

Discus and support Headphones plugged in but, it says that they're not. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Suddenly the audio got worse, then it started to come from the laptops speakers. I don't know what happened but after that my headphones haven't been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by huoh, Aug 14, 2019.

1. huoh Win User

Headphones plugged in but, it says that they're not.

Suddenly the audio got worse, then it started to come from the laptops speakers. I don't know what happened but after that my headphones haven't been "plugged in" but they have.

:)

2. Arul_D Win User

Computer Won't Auto Change the Playback Device When Headphones Plugged In/Out

Hi Michael,

I understand your concern and will be happy to assist you.

Is the issue specific to only Headphones/ Does External Speaker play when plugged in?

I suggest you to try resetting the default device as shown in the steps given below and check if the issue persists.

• Plug in the Headphones in the machine.

• Go to Start and Control Panel.

• Select 'Hardware and Sound'.

• Click 'Change system sounds'.

• Click 'Playback' tab. (It should then show you your headphones in the list).

• Select your proper Headphone device from the list, then Click 'Set Default'.

• Now unplug your Headphones and select speakers from the list, then Click 'Set Default'.
    Hope it helps. Please reply for further queries on this.

Arul_D, Aug 14, 2019
  3. Zack_L-P Win User
    Extremely bizarre issue where headphones don't work after being unplugged and plugged back in

I was going through your suggestions, until I got to this part. When I got to step 16 on that list (create a new admin user account and see if the problem persists in that account), I tried that suggestion and created a test account. At first, when I plugged
    in my headphones they weren't working (same as my original problem). But then when I unplugged them a Windows notification message popped up in the bottom right, saying something along the lines of "an audio device was disconnected". I plugged my headphones
    back in and got the same kind of windows popup asking what type of device I just plugged in, and I selected the headphone option. After that, the headphones worked fine even when unplugged and plugged back in. Unfortunately, they are only working fine in that
    alternate user account, and not in my normal one.

So I guess that means that the problem lies somewhere in my account settings, but how on earth do I fix it?

Zack_L-P, Aug 14, 2019
  4. txstoby Win User

Speakers playing when headphones are plugged in

I have an HP laptop with windows 10. When my headphones are plugged in, the speakers are still playing. When I go to sounds, the only device listed is the speakers. How can I silence the speakers when the headphones are plugged in.

txstoby, Aug 14, 2019
Thema:

1. Headphones plugged in but, it says that they're not. - Similar Threads - Headphones plugged says

2. headphones says "not plugged in" when its actually connected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    headphones says "not plugged in" when its actually connected: himy headphones is connected to my pc and it still says not plugged in and i once figured out the problem by installing realtek audio drivers instead of Microsoft HD audio and then again swapping to Microsoft HD audio from that troubleshooting service realtek drivers dosen't...
  3. Windows 11 says that my headphones aren't plugged in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 says that my headphones aren't plugged in: For some reason my headphones stopped working and now the playback tab says that they aren't plugged in. Is this an issue with my laptop, my headphones, or is it something I can fix?...
  4. Windows 11 says that my headphones aren't plugged in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 says that my headphones aren't plugged in: For some reason my headphones stopped working and now the playback tab says that they aren't plugged in. Is this an issue with my laptop, my headphones, or is it something I can fix?...
  5. Windows says my headphones are connected, but they're not

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows says my headphones are connected, but they're not: Hey,I've been having this problem for a bit, basically what it is that windows thinks my headphones are plugged in, even when they aren't. It refuses to recognize any different headphones I plug in. It also says it's playing sound, even if it isn't, and it shows an unusually...
  6. Windows says my headphones are connected, but they're not

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows says my headphones are connected, but they're not: Hey,I've been having this problem for a bit, basically what it is that windows thinks my headphones are plugged in, even when they aren't. It refuses to recognize any different headphones I plug in. It also says it's playing sound, even if it isn't, and it shows an unusually...
  7. Windows says my headphones are connected, but they're not

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. headphone is plugged in but windows says it isnt

headphone is plugged in but windows says it isnt: hi so i was playing games and on several i noticed that my push to talk wouldnt work at all no matter what key i bound it to. i was looking through sound settings to set my headphones as default input when i noticed it says it wasnt connected. sound still comes out perfectly...
  9. Headphones plugged in but Windows says not

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Headphones plugged in but Windows says not: The headphones appear as "Not plugged in" in Control Panel - Sound. I've tried troubleshooting, updating audio drivers, installing Realtek HD Audio Driver. I'm sure the Realtek Driver is for my device since it's said so on Dell Website (I'm using a Dell laptop). submitted by...
  10. headphone plugging

headphone plugging: hi My computer does not display that the headphones as one of the sounds in the Control Panel, even when the headphones are plugged in. I cannot set the headphones to default! Please help!...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. computer says that headphones are not plugged in but they are